British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, Icicle said:

That does help...also Polish is difficult..Brits panic at so many "Z"s and "sh(SZ) & ch(CZ) sounds

I've been trying very hard to learn Spanish as I spend a lot of time in the Canaries and think it's rude not to make an effort.  I can make myself understood and can understand a lot of written Spanish but when they speak back to me 19 to the dozen I'm totally out of my depth at the moment!

• Like 1

In time you will pick up the speed!! Wave your hands about (not as much as speaking Italian, but it helps!).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icicle said:

That does help...also Polish is difficult..Brits panic at so many "Z"s and "sh(SZ) & ch(CZ) sounds

I did see one poster from the recent polish elections have an English word boldly displayed in it .    selfie !!!:D No idea why that would be important for a political campaign though

6 hours ago, Icicle said:

Danes tend to speak other languages as no-one wants to speak Danish....incredibly ugly mumbled tongue, even the Danes apologize for speaking it!!

I did get in trouble for criticizing the Danish language on here some years ago!!! It does grow on you and in parts is similar to German. Kartofler- Kartoffel = Potato

But most non English languages at least from smaller countries, you have the advantage disadvantage that it is hardly spoken elsewhere, so english always comes on handy and is often necessary in business. You will often see people from 2 non English speaking countries conversing in English. I have even seen that with two neighbouring countries with sort of similar languages. Germany and Netherlands 

My kids went to school in Germany to a school that studied in Spanish. That was, not only did they learn Spanish, but they studied other topics like maths in Spanish rather than German !! I know it turned out too difficult for my daughter and she swapped back to doing all subject in German apart from Spanish lessons

You also have the fact that mainland European borders have often changed over the centuries, so there will be traditional communities left behind as it were. Germans on the danish side of the border and Danes on the German side for instance. We have Danish schools here and there are German schools at least in the south of Denmark. Vojens was a majority German speaking town around 100 years ago, as was Gdańsk in Poland or places in France etc

Edited by iris123

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, Hodgy said:

Hopefully no. Like or loathe they promote Speedway with passion.  Isn’t that what we continually crave?

I'd rather have decent commentators but guess I'm in the minority.

19 minutes ago, paulboy said:

I'd rather have decent commentators but guess I'm in the minority.

Dave Lanning caught the mood during speedway's last "Golden Era".

Edited by steve roberts

10 hours ago, Terry said:

I don't understand why riders who race in Poland every year don't learn the language. Is it too difficult? I notice riders like Emil, Zagar, Vaculik, Milik etc all speak Polish when being interviewed...Do the Slavic countries have a similar language?

I saw something on TV a while back and it said that Polish was 2nd only to Japanese in it's difficulty to learn for foreigners

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FROM what I hear a magazine-style highlights programme is being discussed and would be a great addition to the actual TV coverage

Do Eurosport produce/air any other magazine style programmes of other sports?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I saw something on TV a while back and it said that Polish was 2nd only to Japanese in it's difficulty to learn for foreigners

DISCOVERY (Eurosport) will out-source the production of their coverage ... as did BT this year. Steve Saint did a terrific job especially considering the budget with which he had to work. He wanted to produce a highlights show that all BT had to do was provide air time but it never came to tuition. Other sports production companies will no doubt throw their hats into the ring. These will be the people putting the package together on behalf of Discovery.

Flagrag would know far more than me about all that is involved with providing the live coverage of speedway ... outside broadcast units, satellites, rigging, cameras and cameramen, sound engineers plus of course the commentators, presenter, etc.

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DISCOVERY (Eurosport) will out-source the production of their coverage ... as did BT this year. Steve Saint did a terrific job especially considering the budget with which he had to work. He wanted to produce a highlights show that all BT had to do was provide air time but it never came to tuition. Other sports production companies will no doubt throw their hats into the ring. These will be the people putting the package together on behalf of Discovery.

Flagrag would know far more than me about all that is involved with providing the live coverage of speedway ... outside broadcast units, satellites, rigging, cameras and cameramen, sound engineers plus of course the commentators, presenter, etc.

Think that might be frution- if it was tuition then he should have taught them :)

11 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I've been trying very hard to learn Spanish as I spend a lot of time in the Canaries and think it's rude not to make an effort.  I can make myself understood and can understand a lot of written Spanish but when they speak back to me 19 to the dozen I'm totally out of my depth at the moment!

Exactly the issue I get in Portugal, even living here for so long.

Other big issue is all my self employed work is dealing with English people. 

Then you go into a shop or somewhere, speak Portuguese, they clock you are English straight away in many cases and those that can speak English back.

English is continuing to grow though popular culture as you say. Only the kids movies are dubbed into Portuguese here, the rest are all shown in English with subtitles. Most Portuguese I know hate the dubbed ones and prefer the original English version.

Add that to the youngsters growing up 'online'. Here they meet and converse with people from all round the world and the common language is almost always English.

If freesports can produce a Ice Hockey highlights show then I'm sure Discovery (Eurosport) can do the same for speedway. 

My sister in law's kids live in Germany and always speak German.

When we visited recently, the younger one began talking to us in English. We were surprised and asked if she knew it from school.

Her reply was: "No. YouTube."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Exactly the issue I get in Portugal, even living here for so long.

Other big issue is all my self employed work is dealing with English people. 

Then you go into a shop or somewhere, speak Portuguese, they clock you are English straight away in many cases and those that can speak English back.

English is continuing to grow though popular culture as you say. Only the kids movies are dubbed into Portuguese here, the rest are all shown in English with subtitles. Most Portuguese I know hate the dubbed ones and prefer the original English version.

Add that to the youngsters growing up 'online'. Here they meet and converse with people from all round the world and the common language is almost always English.

The Scandinavian countries tend to do the same with the TV programmes shown in English with subtitles.

Do like some on the Swedish words as they seem quite descriptive like all hearts day for Valentines day and heart starter for defibrillator

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Yeah do a good job during grand tours in cycling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

Yeah do a good job during grand tours in cycling. 

Great... There is at least some hope then