British Speedway Forum

it could be argued that some promoters became contented/lazy in terms of promoting their brand, they knew they would be guaranteed X amount through a tv deal.

Speedway needs a platform to promote itself, self streaming by clubs only preaches to the converted and does not attract a wider and new audience on mass, like it or not speedway needs to do a deal with either Sky/BT or who ever.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, Daniel Smith said:

The main aim was over a 5yr plan, first and formost to make the sport more professional. 

2nd was an attempt to bring more money in to keep the "star" men. 

3rd was advertising 

4th, maintaining existing supporters

5th, being attractive enough to encourage new fans. 

What's actually happened in the 20yrs of television is absolutely none of the above. 

In fact, from 1999 to today the sport in the uk has declined in horrendous fashion. 

Even die hards have given up and walked away, new millenia fans have come and gone. 

This sport in the UK is in serious need of a defibrillator 

Just a thought when did laydown come in because I think they have added to the demise of speedway

Also, why did they come in. Must have made sense at the time

1 minute ago, bruno said:

more speed, which wasn't required for the sport, just individuals. It's just an arms race. Someone has to have the cojones to stop it before it's too late.

GB could do this unilaterally - international riders have numerous machines anyway to ride abroad. A decision like that would however require the aforementioned cojones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Booey boy said:

Just a thought when did laydown come in because I think they have added to the demise of speedway

I think they came in during the early-to-mid 90s.

Although I suspect the costs of those were higher, there are a multitude of factors why we are where we are. 

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Although I suspect the costs of those were higher, there are a multitude of factors why we are where we are. 

agreed but you have to start somewhere and slowing the buggers down wd do for a kick off

• Like 3

Laydowns didnt come in cos of more speed but cos of the lower center of gravity nd therefor the bikes became easier to ride. 

9 hours ago, Odds On said:

it could be argued that some promoters became contented/lazy in terms of promoting their brand, they knew they would be guaranteed X amount through a tv deal.

Speedway needs a platform to promote itself, self streaming by clubs only preaches to the converted and does not attract a wider and new audience on mass, like it or not speedway needs to do a deal with either Sky/BT or who ever.

There were a number of TV meetings that were very well attended because they were heavily promoted, either free or big discount, which shows that when the effort is put in people will turn up... sadly these days the only promotion that we tend to see is the "if the fans don't turn up, I'll have to think about whether it's worth continuing" style of promotion

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Odds On said:

What you get on BT is streaming, it is the quality of the production that makes the difference. If the BSPA do go down this route it will be outsourced to a production company or companies and that is where it will get tricky but I take your point.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, Booey boy said:

If I recall it was 1996 although they had been banned from the British League for a year but, as everything, got overturned and hence costs spiralled even more out of control.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, Booey boy said:

On 7/25/2019 at 12:57 PM, bruno said:

On 7/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, ch958 said:

more speed, which wasn't required for the sport, just individuals. It's just an arms race. Someone has to have the cojones to stop it before it's too late.

GB could do this unilaterally - international riders have numerous machines anyway to ride abroad. A decision like that would however require the aforementioned cojones

On 7/25/2019 at 2:06 PM, moxey63 said:

On 7/25/2019 at 3:14 PM, ch958 said:

agreed but you have to start somewhere and slowing the buggers down wd do for a kick off

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall it was 1996 although they had been banned from the British League for a year but, as everything, got overturned and hence costs spiralled even more out of control.

I don't think the argument between upright and laydown engines is the beginning of the sports demise as such. It's purely mythical and coincidental. 

It's more the materials / improved technology used that has increased speeds and reliability of the first laydown. As it was then far superior to the old upright in tech / material, other engine manufacturers acted like sheep and copied. Human nature does this in all walks of life. 

Look at houses, cars, mobile phones etc etc. Someone comes up with an idea, everyone else copies. 

If a modern engine supplier produces an upright today, it would 100% perform just as well as a laydown so the current problem actually doesn't go away. 

First and foremost, in my opinion, the FIM should bring the engine capacity down from 500cc to 450cc and allow straight through / silencer exhaust system. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

.First and foremost, in my opinion, the FIM should bring the engine capacity down from 500cc to 450cc and allow straight through / silencer exhaust system. 

You have not given any reasons why?

I

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

First and foremost, in my opinion, the FIM should bring the engine capacity down from 500cc to 450cc and allow straight through / silencer exhaust system. 

Just can't see the straight-through exhaust being acceptable, from a noise perspective in many stadiums. As for capacity then any single cylinder from 250cc up would allow for racing that is fast enough and safe enough for the UK tracks. For UK speedway to survive it has to break away from what is happening on better tracks in Europe. Yes, call it Formula 2 speedway. What matters is the quality and excitement of on-track racing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You have not given any reasons why?

It wouldn't necessarily make the bike that much slower but they'd be more controllable at a lower rev plus more throttle control instead of the Zmarzlik theory of stretching the cable as far as it goes and just hold on. 

20 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Just can't see the straight-through exhaust being acceptable, from a noise perspective in many stadiums. As for capacity then any single cylinder from 250cc up would allow for racing that is fast enough and safe enough for the UK tracks. For UK speedway to survive it has to break away from what is happening on better tracks in Europe. Yes, call it Formula 2 speedway. What matters is the quality and excitement of on-track racing.

You can still make the exhaust at current or lower levels of noise with clever theory on a straight through exhaust.