British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

Must be something else then. Amazing quality of speedway went rapidly downhill from the day F.I.M ordered a regulation change with silencers and the quality has not returned to this day. Probably just coincidence .

Silencers were used in the late 70's early 80's when speedway was at its peak so your statement ( opinion ) does not hold water.

Rules concerning silencers have changed every three years on average since they were introduced, the biggest change was in 2011 , which lead to some overheating issues but didn't alter the standard of racing.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, BWitcher said:

Before that Baggy, Nielsen was riding one in the 93 World Final.

Still Nielsen fans who claim there wasn't 'enough contact' to cause a fall!

A very debatable heat result in the end. I was there in Pocking for this meeting and I remember this race well.

In the re-run after Han's exclusion Sam knew his bike was in trouble on the startline and he attempted to leave the track but was forced to go back on by the stewards, as the 3 riders entered the 1st bend ermolenko's bike stopped causing Hamill to fall . The race should have been run with two riders only but Sam was allowed back in on another machine and we all know the result. A very controversial decision given the meeting referee's well known intense dislike of Hans Nielsen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

A very controversial decision given the meeting referee's well known intense dislike of Hans Nielsen.

I don't think I've heard this mentioned before. Who was the referee that day and why did he dislike Hans Nielsen?

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Silencers were used in the late 70's early 80's when speedway was at its peak so your statement ( opinion ) does not hold water.

Rules concerning silencers have changed every three years on average since they were introduced, the biggest change was in 2011 , which lead to some overheating issues but didn't alter the standard of racing.

They removed the classic speedway roar which was an integral part of the sport for me. I gave it until the end of that season then never returned for more.

8 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I don't think I've heard this mentioned before. Who was the referee that day and why did he dislike Hans Nielsen?

Frank Ebdon.... No idea why, but it was a topic of discussion for quite a while as I recall

edit

Upon thinking about this a little more, I'm sure that I heard it first at a "talk in"  in Coventry where Hans was guest speaker.

He mentioned then that He and Ebdon had issues but didn't expand on that.

Edited by Dave Jones
addition
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

They removed the classic speedway roar which was an integral part of the sport for me. I gave it until the end of that season then never returned for more.

So you haven't been to a meeting in over 40 years?

wow!  Says a lot about this forum.

9 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So you haven't been to a meeting in over 40 years?

wow!  Says a lot about this forum.

No, 2011, when the change in noise was markedly noticeable.

11 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

No, 2011, when the change in noise was markedly noticeable.

I agree with that.  IMO it was also a point where the quality of racing deteriorated as riders were complaining that" the engines didn't react to the throttle as they had prior to the new silencers being introduced ,and close racing was more difficult due to the way that the power came in".

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

...and caused all sorts of problems when they were introduced with riders refusing to ride on occasions. Recall the Spring Classic involving Ole Olsen being particularly contentious.

Edited by steve roberts

23 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I agree with that.  IMO it was also a point where the quality of racing deteriorated as riders were complaining that" the engines didn't react to the throttle as they had prior to the new silencers being introduced ,and close racing was more difficult due to the way that the power came in".

Don't go down that line. You will get Fortythirtyeight on your case, he has already told me I'm wrong when I dared to say quality of racing had detreated since the silencer change in 2011. I have eyes , can only call it how I see it. 

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

A very debatable heat result in the end. I was there in Pocking for this meeting and I remember this race well.

In the re-run after Han's exclusion Sam knew his bike was in trouble on the startline and he attempted to leave the track but was forced to go back on by the stewards, as the 3 riders entered the 1st bend ermolenko's bike stopped causing Hamill to fall . The race should have been run with two riders only but Sam was allowed back in on another machine and we all know the result. A very controversial decision given the meeting referee's well known intense dislike of Hans Nielsen.

...and Sam admitted that he was lucky in his book "Breaking the Limits".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Don't go down that line. You will get Fortythirtyeight on your case, he has already told me I'm wrong when I dared to say quality of racing had detreated since the silencer change in 2011. I have eyes , can only call it how I see it. 

I don't worry about that.:D  I've encountered plenty of posters like him in the time I've been on the forum. Most don't hang around too long usually.:D

Frank Ebdon.... No idea why, but it was a topic of discussion for quite a while as I recall

edit

Upon thinking about this a little more, I'm sure that I heard it first at a "talk in"  in Coventry where Hans was guest speaker.

He mentioned then that He and Ebdon had issues but didn't expand on that.

Hans openly discussed his dislike of Ebdon in his book "Main Dane".

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Hans openly discusses his dislike of Ebdon in his book "Main Dane".

I had it in my mind that it was a well known issue, but it was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it once was .:D

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

How is that even possible when all the bikes would be acting the same?