British Speedway Forum

Live streaming is coming. But not from all clubs sadly  

Also if what I'm told is right TV coverage of the british league wont be on BT next year. But will be on eurosport 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Odds On said:

a very colourful picture and outlook you paint but all that glitters isn't gold!...a major hurdle amongst many others in this is the loss of secondary spend income to Stadium/Track owners who don't own the speedway teams racing out of the stadium, can't imagine the likes of Wolverhampton(Ladbrokes) etc not increasing rent once crowds dwindle, which obviously they will do.

Again, if done with strategic planning if shouldn't effect many of those who go every week as the vast majority who go each week will be 'local'...

The streaming should be an 'add on' to the levels of crowds not 'instead of', with the vast proportion watching being from much further afield..

(In fact the whole of the globe would be able to watch apart from the designated radius around the stadium).,

Hardly any away fans go now so that wouldn't make a huge dent in the possible returns from their attendance at any of the tracks...

I, like so many others it appears, don't see £25 for me and my lad as VFM anymore as the actual credibilty of the competitions don't inspire me to attend. 

However I do attend the Colts regularly where we both get in for a Tenner, and I watch that not particularly bothered who wins but simply enjoying the spectacle of the sport....

If though, the Aces were on a stream, or maybe two 'decent teams' were on, I would more than likely pay a fiver to watch them as I like watching Speedway..

I currently watch Swedish and Polish Speedway each week live via streaming...

The perfect target audience I reckon to make it worthwhile,  and would bring extra money into the sport domestically that it currently has zero chance of getting off me..

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Also if what I'm told is right TV coverage of the british league wont be on BT next year. But will be on eurosport 

If that is correct would there be any likelihood on speedway being shown on Quest as Eurosport does sometimes show their sports on Quest?

• Like 1

God help them then...

"A great finish to the Uzbekistan Tennis Open there. We now go live to the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester to see the last four heats of Belle Vue v Swindon"..

:D

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 5:07 PM, mikebv said:

God help them then...

"A great finish to the Uzbekistan Tennis Open there. We now go live to the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester to see the last four heats of Belle Vue v Swindon"..

:D

The reason: there are more people in the UK interested in tennis than there are interested in speedway.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, severnsider said:

If that is correct would there be any likelihood on speedway being shown on Quest as Eurosport does sometimes show their sports on Quest?

That would be the big advantage of going with Eurosports.  To get the sport onto Quest.

We need to have speedway on terrestrial TV.    Either Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV 4 or Quest.

5 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Not sure how that will work. Eurosport don’t film themselves but take feeds. So who is going to be the broadcaster for Eurosport?

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not sure how that will work. Eurosport don’t film themselves but take feeds. So who is going to be the broadcaster for Eurosport?

Exactly. Cant see it myself. But who knows. 

Exactly. Cant see it myself. But who knows. 

EUROSPORT are owned by Discovery who could quite likely hire the same guys who're currently supplying the pictures for BT. Eurosport Events, part of the same set-up, are bidding for the SGP commercial rights from 2021.

Eurosports coverage is pretty much the worst of any sport covering TV company..

It's scheduling is absolutely all over the place and 'subject to change' and often joins events after the start, both intentionally or not..

And then shows highlights of a live event still missing the action that was excluded from the original live feed...  :D

It does a great job on the Tour de France but that's pretty much about it..

Presume they must be willing to pay some money if the BSPA are considering moving over to them, or maybe it's the old bluff to get BT to stump up some cash by putting it out there that they may lose the rights..?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Again, if done with strategic planning if shouldn't effect many of those who go every week as the vast majority who go each week will be 'local'...

The streaming should be an 'add on' to the levels of crowds not 'instead of', with the vast proportion watching being from much further afield..

(In fact the whole of the globe would be able to watch apart from the designated radius around the stadium).,

Blocking only happens to where the payment holders address is, so a fan who lives around the corner could easily have a friend/family member pay who lives outside of the blocked radius and still watch the stream.

Lack of secondary spend from footfall through the gates will have a massive knock on effect with the landlords and then the rent goes up, only one outcome for all concerned when that happens I'm afraid.

Live streaming is a massive risk to speedway promoters, now if meetings were sell outs then live streaming would certainly have a future within the sport, right now owners and landlords need to keep the footfall it has not lose it.

Another factor is if the likes of BT/Sky/Eurosport currently pay around £50k(ball park figure), they will not be willing to pay that sort of money if live streaming is available, where does that short fall come from?

Edited by Odds On

On 13 August 2019 at 8:09 PM, HGould said:

rumoured to be about 25k for each PL Club last year, not sure about this, might explain why Buster wanted 75k though!

rumours that (I dont know his surname Adrian at Belle vue) is working on some new "web streaming" idea which was mentioned at some point in Speedway Star, not sure how advanced that is though.

BT 's offer for 2019 worked out at less than 5k per Premiership club with no additional payment for ' live transmission' from each club.

Compare that with the 100k plus that Sky gave each Premiership club plus 5k per meeting hosted.

A small committee of promoters , including Belle Vue and Berwick with their insider knowledge of live streaming , was set up to look into the possibility of a once weekly , Match of the Day style programme.

As yet nothing has been agreed with anybody.

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

BT 's offer for 2019 worked out at less than 5k per Premiership club with no additional payment for ' live transmission' from each club.

Compare that with the 100k plus that Sky gave each Premiership club plus 5k per meeting hosted.

A small committee of promoters , including Belle Vue and Berwick with their insider knowledge of live streaming , was set up to look into the possibility of a once weekly , Match of the Day style programme.

As yet nothing has been agreed with anybody.

Must be one of the biggest scandals in modern speedway, that teams were paid £100k a season, and many of them did nothing but spend it on one rider for a season. The long term things you could do with that money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

Must be one of the biggest scandals in modern speedway, that teams were paid £100k a season, and many of them did nothing but spend it on one rider for a season. The long term things you could do with that money.

Can you provide proof of that ?  It's not true. 

Eurosport. I have hardly watched anything on it. Good thing is i think most households have it.