British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn vs Peterborough. Thursday July 25th

1 minute ago, Haza said:

I follow what goes on at the club and in speedway in general what is wrong with that ? I’m not saying I will never go again it’s just not for me at the moment . 

Then how can you comment on meetings you've never been to?

How do you know how good/ bad things are?

Its fine following the sport via the Internet but that only gives you a biased opinion of what's happened, either by the author or the club that releases it. As can be seen on here regularly everybody sees things differently , some like what they see, some don't .

People on here moaning and haven't been to a meeting for 2 years for gods sake.

41 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Can't for the life of me work out why ' fans '(?) who haven't been to a meeting in two years are actually on this forum?

It appears Kings Lynn have more of them than anybody.

whilst I fully understand the lack of interest if you are unfortunate enough to live near a track that doesn't provide value for money or even decent racing but why constantly go on this forum? Especially after two years???

I no longer have a local track so travel to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick , Belle Vue and Redcar to get my fix and whilst one or two of these tracks do not provide great racing week in , week out, I still have the desire so pick and choose which fixtures to attend and therefore get my ' value for money ' fix.

If you don't go to meetings, there'll be no meetings !

Ask Workington fans!!!

I stopped going to Lynn several years ago, for similar reasons to others on here. I did occasional away meetings for a couple of years after that. I still read Lynn threads, not as religiously as before, simply because you can't break the habit of interest that has lasted for 50+ years.

I'm sorry but the use it or lose it argument carries no weight with me anymore. I prefer the give fans what they want and they will come argument. Think hell will freeze over before that happens.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Its fine following the sport via the Internet but that only gives you a biased opinion of what's happened, either by the author or the club that releases it. As can be seen on here regularly everybody sees things differently , some like what they see, some don't .

People moan because they care, it’s possible to still love the sport and your club without being willing / able to go any more. £18 is an awful lot of money for two or three races out of fifteen, especially if it involves a long drive or rushing around after work. 

And it’s perfectly possible to know what a meeting was like without being there, plenty of ways to know how good or bad it was. As SL says the ‘use it or lose it’ line can only really be used if the person running the show is doing absolutely everything in their power to make the product attractive and customers feel valued. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You can get 2 people who go to the same meeting who will see it completely different.  

Its not a definitive science.  Different strokes for different folks.

There are people who post on here who give an honest appraisal of a meeting.  What’s wrong with forming an opinion based on that ?

Edited by semion

4 minutes ago, semion said:

You can get 2 people who go to the same meeting who will see it completely different.  

Its not a definitive science.  Different strokes for different folks.

There are people who post on here who give an honest appraisal of a meeting.  What’s wrong with forming an opinion based on that ?

Nothing, as long as they were at the meeting to form their own opinion. These people haven't been to a meeting in years by their own admission yet still think they have a valid opinion on what's happening now. 

Its their choice not to go, that's fine, but I've lost my local track because of ' non-attenders' who all went years ago and still feel free to slag the sport and then bemoan the state of the sport and the fact tracks are closing.

Ludicrous!

• Like 2

Forty it’s sad when any track closes, for whatever reason.  Sadly the ‘Sport’ is now well outdated and had its day, in its present form in this Country.

Can it be saved ?   Jury’s out, I would suggest.

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I’m not commenting on meetings I’ve never been to as far as I no ??? Can only go by what I read and friend that still attends - I’ve seen the BT meetings and the Kings Lynn v Poole (think it was Poole)  on BT which I didn’t see the end off because I was bored stiff - promotions should maybe take more notice of fans reasons why they stopped attending don’t you think ? And try to sort the problem out - these who attend in all honesty they don’t really matter as you I guess hand over your money and see no wrong - it’s more about getting new fans and existing fans back don’t you think ? 

41 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

People moan because they care, it’s possible to still love the sport and your club without being willing / able to go any more. £18 is an awful lot of money for two or three races out of fifteen, especially if it involves a long drive or rushing around after work. 

And it’s perfectly possible to know what a meeting was like without being there, plenty of ways to know how good or bad it was. As SL says the ‘use it or lose it’ line can only really be used if the person running the show is doing absolutely everything in their power to make the product attractive and customers feel valued. 

Absolutely spot on - id have thought the way to stop the massive decline  in the sport would be to listen to fans that have walked away - those who still go are almost turkeys at Christmas- lol - and yes I do care about the club it’s been a massive part of my life and I’d never have thought I’d walk away from it - but does anyone of the promotion care ? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Absolutely spot on - id have thought the way to stop the massive decline  in the sport would be to listen to fans that have walked away - those who still go are almost turkeys at Christmas- lol - and yes I do care about the club it’s been a massive part of my life and I’d never have thought I’d walk away from it - but does anyone of the promotion care ? 

Not the case at all.

I have assisted on promotional events promoting speedway and offering free tickets. The number of ' former fans ' who turned them down was phonominal but new ' fans ' took them and 65% of those actualy attended the next meeting. 

The older generation are now like you, too sceptical and want £5 admission, free programme and want to see world champions every week. The sport needs new fans , with their children and listen to them about what they liked or did not like. The old brigade who no longer attend are three time as hard to get back so concentrate on new and hope for the future.

The comments on here tell you why they don't want to come back, because they went to a bad meeting years ago and now don't have the habit anymore!

There are good promoters and good clubs out there,, Belle Vue, Ipswich, Berwick, Glasgow, and Redcar to name a few, read their threads, their fans appear to be very content with their lot.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not the case at all.

I have assisted on promotional events promoting speedway and offering free tickets. The number of ' former fans ' who turned them down was phonominal but new ' fans ' took them and 65% of those actualy attended the next meeting. 

The older generation are now like you, too sceptical and want £5 admission, free programme and want to see world champions every week. The sport needs new fans , with their children and listen to them about what they liked or did not like. The old brigade who no longer attend are three time as hard to get back so concentrate on new and hope for the future.

The comments on here tell you why they don't want to come back, because they went to a bad meeting years ago and now don't have the habit anymore!

There are good promoters and good clubs out there,, Belle Vue, Ipswich, Berwick, Glasgow, and Redcar to name a few, read their threads, their fans appear to be very content with their lot.

I notice you don't include Kings Lynn in the good promoters and good clubs, are you beginning to see the light?

• Confused 1

Forty, I would suggest ‘ my generation’ are the ones with a decent expendable income, so would it not make sense to attract us ?

The younger generation have so many other interests and, to me would be a much harder audience to entice.

As for fiver Speedway with World Champion’s on display, that does sound somewhat of a tongue in cheek and throw away comment.  For me personally I don’t want something for nothing, but will not accept nothing for something.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not the case at all.

Maybe it’s a case of the older fans remember when we actually had racing rather than gate and go - as for admission I’d much sooner pay £25 and actually see some top riders rather than the same bunch doubling up in both leagues 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, semion said:

Yet Webbo you still go.  Must be like going to the Cinema to watch the same film time and time again, knowing you didn’t enjoy it the first time.;)  I don’t blame Buster, more the fans who pay £20 knowing full well they ain’t gonna enjoy it.

Send me ya £20. I’ll flush it down the loo for you.  Least it will save you a few quid on fuel. 

You  speak a lot of sense,   If it was just about the money I would have packed up long ago.   It's  the occasion,  the moment,  the time when I can escape the misses and drift back into nostalgia. There are many reasons why I still go. but keeping contact with many friends is the prime cause.  

Plus,  I would hate to think there was a fantastic meeting and it was on one of the days when I didn't bother to go  :(

• Like 2