British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn vs Peterborough. Thursday July 25th

14 minutes ago, tellboy said:

In the after meeting conference he said it was over prepared for this match,or that's what he seemed to say.Incidentally i thought this match was the best i have seen him ride the track.They handed the mic to MPT after and he said he liked a grippy track,but he has learnt and had to adapt to it.

Peter Shroeck then said the track is clay based so is always going to be on the grippier side.

One thing i don't get though is why do people say that riders can't race a grippy track.If MPT can adapt and learn then surely the better classed riders should be able to.The last few meetings MPT has made some great moves on the track.

Oops I've repeated similar to you ....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I can't believe that.Ty was absolutely loving it Thursday until his e/f.Cook also said a grippy track suits how Proctor rides.

Maybe he was representing his team rather than himself?

39 minutes ago, Trees said:

Maybe he was representing his team rather than himself?

And his first time back since his sacking so had a bit more between his teeth, something to prove. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

And his first time back since his sacking so had a bit more between his teeth, something to prove. 

If course he did and to himself as much as anything ..... 

8 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not so much a sacking,  more a change of work place for the same employer

• Like 1

My take of the proceeding was there was too much grip, and it was only when the track slicken off did we see any reference of actual racing when both  MPT and Tungate proved it was possible to come from the back.

Its not about riders adapting to RIDE  the grippy tracks that matter, it their ability to RACE  on them and that has proved more difficult .  Yes, Ty Proctor done well,  but his success came from his gating.  He knew once he had hit the front the job was done because nobody would go be.   And that's the main issue.  

It appears since that fated match against Poole when Holder and Batch did a runner, some 2 years ago, the  management has learnt nothing....The track hasn't changed one bit.. 

I don't blame the riders,  why should they have to take extra risks to race a grippy track..  .     This was once a track every rider wanted to race  on,   sadly, not anymore.  Ivan Mauger once wrote this track was equal to any in the country and he always looked forward to riding here.     I wonder what he would have thought of it today...…. :nono:

• Like 2

Now. Now, Mr Webb - all that looking backwards is frowned upon by so many modern fans (of the last twenty years ). Ivan Who? He never even won a GP round did he? Of course, to us creaky old uns he was once one of of the greatest ( just under Ove Fundin and above Barry Briggs ). Someone should ask them what their memories are of racing at Saddlebow Rd back in the day are like.

Cookie and any others can say what they like but when Buster gets behind the wheel for a 12-hour stint of track prep, he is sure of what the riders need - or rather, what they are going to get. Have they ever prepared a "racing" strip, I can hear him saying? Anway if they can't gate, they are not real riders, are they! Only the first 150 yards count nowadays.

Sorry metres ( showing my age there ).

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Trees said:

Hand on heart I do not get in free!!!!!  Maybe you could see my running the supporters club as my constructive criticism of the club ..... 

But no, some of you just want me to be negative about every aspect!  Buster is the latest custodian of our club, OUR CLUB, yes he makes the money (or not as the case may be) but the majority of our entrance goes to our team, the riders, the guys racing in Stars colours, they're the ones I go to support, always has been, always will, that's where MY ENTRANCE MONEY goes.  You could say they are basically at the mercy of Buster and the track, they are skilled at racing their bikes and brave, too brave but hell, glad they are!! I stand there willing them to win, mad maybe but it's always been like that, I'm still passionate for our club. I'm just sorry some of you don't feel the same :(.

That's the other great thing about the press conference/Q&A after the meeting, the riders give you a totally honest, human reflection of their night, if anyone who never goes in just does once they will enjoy I'm sure.

Cookie's thoughts on the track and the different styles riders have was interesting, he wants less grip. Interestingly though 3 of the riders like the grip and MPT said he changed his style to get the best from the track, he said that he found it hard for starters but he's got used to it and effective he is too eh!

The grip does give us home track advantage which every team needs .....

Not at the expense of entertainment which is what the people want and pay good money for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

My take of the proceeding was there was too much grip, and it was only when the track slicken off did we see any reference of actual racing when both  MPT and Tungate proved it was possible to come from the back.

Its not about riders adapting to RIDE  the grippy tracks that matter, it their ability to RACE  on them and that has proved more difficult .  Yes, Ty Proctor done well,  but his success came from his gating.  He knew once he had hit the front the job was done because nobody would go be.   And that's the main issue.  

It appears since that fated match against Poole when Holder and Batch did a runner, some 2 years ago, the  management has learnt nothing....The track hasn't changed one bit.. 

I don't blame the riders,  why should they have to take extra risks to race a grippy track..  .     This was once a track every rider wanted to race  on,   sadly, not anymore.  Ivan Mauger once wrote this track was equal to any in the country and he always looked forward to riding here.     I wonder what he would have thought of it today...…. :nono:

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Warriors said:

Not at the expense of entertainment which is what the people want and pay good money for.

Exactly and this is what Cookie provides at Glasgow - see videos of heat 15 v Eastbourne and v Leicester on the Tigers website. 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Trees said:

Hand on heart I do not get in free!!!!!  Maybe you could see my running the supporters club as my constructive criticism of the club ..... 

But no, some of you just want me to be negative about every aspect!  Buster is the latest custodian of our club, OUR CLUB, yes he makes the money (or not as the case may be) but the majority of our entrance goes to our team, the riders, the guys racing in Stars colours, they're the ones I go to support, always has been, always will, that's where MY ENTRANCE MONEY goes.  You could say they are basically at the mercy of Buster and the track, they are skilled at racing their bikes and brave, too brave but hell, glad they are!! I stand there willing them to win, mad maybe but it's always been like that, I'm still passionate for our club. I'm just sorry some of you don't feel the same :(.

That's the other great thing about the press conference/Q&A after the meeting, the riders give you a totally honest, human reflection of their night, if anyone who never goes in just does once they will enjoy I'm sure.

Cookie's thoughts on the track and the different styles riders have was interesting, he wants less grip. Interestingly though 3 of the riders like the grip and MPT said he changed his style to get the best from the track, he said that he found it hard for starters but he's got used to it and effective he is too eh!

Your positivity and commitment is very obvious. I hope the club respect your loyalty. 

The strong messages I read from the majority is they just want their track back and considered communication. The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer, and should be treated as such. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, Trees said:

That's a misconception.

Its no coincidence that Belle Vue is both the best racing track in the country and one that has little home advantage.

• Like 3