British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn vs Peterborough. Thursday July 25th

6 hours ago, Trees said:

What's the right type of shale? Where does it come from and how expensive is it?

Forever the loyalist that’s trees lol  None of the above matter when the promotion (and I used the word promotion in a very lose way as there isn’t much promoting going on ) doesn’t have any intention of using red shale they are quite happy using clay based with a few stone thrown in - sooner everyone realises its all about stock cars rather than speedway the better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people on here will say I'm always moaning,     but I walk about with my eyes open and see a lot of good in other tracks.   I can accept  the importance of Stock-car racing at the AFA ,  but I don't see why we have to suffer the crap surface for Speedway.     Having witness Buster and his party turn a saturated,  flooded track into a proper race track in an hour, I fail to see why  it cant be achieved for each of our 12 home meetings.    How many SC meeting are held each year ??   I'm sure this is achievable.   With the full complement of Buster machinery,  I'm sure it would be possible to use the proper shale without too many problems.    

From a laymen who pays and witnesses the gradual decline of fans,  I sit and watch fellow supporters and hear their moans.  Nobody is happy with the spectacle that is dished up regularly, and I wonder how much longer these figures will continue to fall before it is deemed as none viable.      Nobody seem to care what the fans think.   instead of looking at ways to cut the costs, why not think of ways to make it more exciting... and appealing to the many who don't go any more... 

I went to Leicester  recently and thoroughly enjoyed the night out.     Considering it is relatively new,  they put on a real good show.  there were no holdups, racing was much closer  than we get here.  the shale was a pleasant reddish colour that gave an wonderful contrast instead of that black rubbish we use.    the  racing lines offered more chance to overtaking,   not all races were won from the gate..   No, they didn't have a Robert Lambert,  that was the only thing missing.   But it was a cheaper and more enjoyable night out.             At nights like this,  it really stands out how far the Kings Lynn speedway has fallen....

• Like 1

I would think it would take at least a day to relay a new track. 

11 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Some people on here will say I'm always moaning,     but I walk about with my eyes open and see a lot of good in other tracks.   I can accept  the importance of Stock-car racing at the AFA ,  but I don't see why we have to suffer the crap surface for Speedway.     Having witness Buster and his party turn a saturated,  flooded track into a proper race track in an hour, I fail to see why  it cant be achieved for each of our 12 home meetings.    How many SC meeting are held each year ??   I'm sure this is achievable.   With the full complement of Buster machinery,  I'm sure it would be possible to use the proper shale without too many problems.    

From a laymen who pays and witnesses the gradual decline of fans,  I sit and watch fellow supporters and hear their moans.  Nobody is happy with the spectacle that is dished up regularly, and I wonder how much longer these figures will continue to fall before it is deemed as none viable.      Nobody seem to care what the fans think.   instead of looking at ways to cut the costs, why not think of ways to make it more exciting... and appealing to the many who don't go any more... 

I went to Leicester  recently and thoroughly enjoyed the night out.     Considering it is relatively new,  they put on a real good show.  there were no holdups, racing was much closer  than we get here.  the shale was a pleasant reddish colour that gave an wonderful contrast instead of that black rubbish we use.    the  racing lines offered more chance to overtaking,   not all races were won from the gate..   No, they didn't have a Robert Lambert,  that was the only thing missing.   But it was a cheaper and more enjoyable night out.             At nights like this,  it really stands out how far the Kings Lynn speedway has fallen....

I am surprised you saw much passing at Leicester, i have been quite a few times and the only time i remember a decent race was when Doyle and Janowski had battles there, last time i went it was more boring than the AFA. 

Webbo have you took the time out to roughly calculate how much of your dough Ray me that you have ‘invested’ in Speedway over the years ?

Surely you must have had some pleasure out of it over the last half century ?

2 hours ago, Haza said:

Forever the loyalist that’s trees lol  None of the above matter when the promotion (and I used the word promotion in a very lose way as there isn’t much promoting going on ) doesn’t have any intention of using red shale they are quite happy using clay based with a few stone thrown in - sooner everyone realises its all about stock cars rather than speedway the better 

It has been a stock car track for years though, I can't remember when we last had red shale on there, probs in my early days. I think it's a combination of track surface, bikes (laydowns/silencers) and riders. BUT it's what we have, I still admire the guys doing the job, still love supporting my team and there is nothing better than a great speedway race :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Trees said:

It has been a stock car track for years though, I can't remember when we last had red shale on there, probs in my early days. I think it's a combination of track surface, bikes (laydowns/silencers) and riders. BUT it's what we have, I still admire the guys doing the job, still love supporting my team and there is nothing better than a great speedway race :)

Great speedway races at Lynn are a thing of the past, you have more chance of enjoying roast Dodo for Sunday dinner ...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I am surprised you saw much passing at Leicester, i have been quite a few times and the only time i remember a decent race was when Doyle and Janowski had battles there, last time i went it was more boring than the AFA. 

I actually said close racing.  it was far better than that I've seen at the AFA recently.   There were quite a few good races that were closely fought.   plus the fans were were happy and  that created a good atmosphere...  something badly missing from todays meetings....

2 hours ago, semion said:

Webbo have you took the time out to roughly calculate how much of your dough Ray me that you have ‘invested’ in Speedway over the years ?

Surely you must have had some pleasure out of it over the last half century ?

I have some fantastic memories of wonderful races.   when we use to get there early,  just to have somewhere to park.   How times have changed..    Now instead of thousands on the gate, we only get hundreds.   Where once we watched 20 to 22 races  now its only 15 and they are dragged out to last the same amount of time..      Once the riders use to come in the bars for a drink and a chat, now they cant get away quick enough.    There's so many changes and not many of them are pluses.

As for the costs I hate to think.    I once did a roll-call on the amount of money I spent on fags.   20 fags a day for 40 years equates to around £100k  wasted in todays money.     Fortunately they were easier to give up than the speedway drug as I packed up 10 years ago..     I often as I've threatened  to pack up  going to speedway, so far I haven't managed it.     

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

I would think it would take at least a day to relay a new track. 

A day,  where do you get that from?     The base is already there.   You only have to scrape the top off  and apply the proper stuff.     Then it just a matter of  spreading it out and  grading it. 

Two years ago,  when the Danish riders used the AFA for official practice day.  Buster and his posse completely removed the sodden  crap on the track and re-laid a completely new surface. in just over the hour..    proving it wouldn't take as long as you think…...

That day there were 26 riders going at it all day and the track was perfect.   

28 minutes ago, g13webb said:

A day,  where do you get that from?     The base is already there.   You only have to scrape the top off  and apply the proper stuff.     Then it just a matter of  spreading it out and  grading it. 

Two years ago,  when the Danish riders used the AFA for official practice day.  Buster and his posse completely removed the sodden  crap on the track and re-laid a completely new surface. in just over the hour..    proving it wouldn't take as long as you think…...

That day there were 26 riders going at it all day and the track was perfect.   

It’s still a solid day of work to completely relay a track and pack it in.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I actually said close racing.  it was far better than that I've seen at the AFA recently.   There were quite a few good races that were closely fought.   plus the fans were were happy and  that created a good atmosphere...  something badly missing from todays meetings....

I have some fantastic memories of wonderful races.   when we use to get there early,  just to have somewhere to park.   How times have changed..    Now instead of thousands on the gate, we only get hundreds.   Where once we watched 20 to 22 races  now its only 15 and they are dragged out to last the same amount of time..      Once the riders use to come in the bars for a drink and a chat, now they cant get away quick enough.    There's so many changes and not many of them are pluses.

As for the costs I hate to think.    I once did a roll-call on the amount of money I spent on fags.   20 fags a day for 40 years equates to around £100k  wasted in todays money.     Fortunately they were easier to give up than the speedway drug as I packed up 10 years ago..     I often as I've threatened  to pack up  going to speedway, so far I haven't managed it.     

There were some fantastic races in the world cup at Kings Lynn not that many years ago. The best meeting I have seen this year was at Peterborough but apparently that was the only one that has been any good.

If the will was there Buster could get hold of whatever shale Belle Vue use and lay that for speedway and the clay crap for stock cars, I’m sure it’s much closer to a day than an hour to achieve but it could be done. He could also eat into as much of the concrete centre as he wanted to make the track a rounder and wider one making Lynn one of the best speedway tracks in the world. 

If the will was there. 

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

If the will was there Buster could get hold of whatever shale Belle Vue use and lay that for speedway and the clay crap for stock cars, I’m sure it’s much closer to a day than an hour to achieve but it could be done. He could also eat into as much of the concrete centre as he wanted to make the track a rounder and wider one making Lynn one of the best speedway tracks in the world. 

If the will was there. 

After years of very poor racing, i would guess there is no will to improve things unfortunately ...

• Like 1