British Speedway Forum
Col

Sheffield Tigers v Newcastle Diamonds

Glad they did that early.  Will have to hope we can make it to Owlerton before the season ends.

• Like 1

My spy in city centre says not raining and just cloudy, but hey ho,  just go up the M18 for a speedway fix at Scunny.B) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col said:

Glad they did that early.  Will have to hope we can make it to Owlerton before the season ends.

The ridiculous Championship fixture policy (which effectively amounts to rationing the sport) has conspired with the weather to ensure that the first three weeks of the kids' summer holidays remain speedway-free. For a sport allegedly aiming to attract more youngsters to the terraces, I would suggest the fixture policy is in need of some revision before next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scunny1 said:

My spy in city centre says not raining and just cloudy, but hey ho,  just go up the M18 for a speedway fix at Scunny.B) 

Have only been to Eddie Wright Raceway once, when staying in Sheffield for work. Assumed it would be a significantly longer journey from home but it is still less than 2 hours (which is about my limit) according to Google. Wil keep that in mind next time.

5 hours ago, 4thbender said:

The ridiculous Championship fixture policy (which effectively amounts to rationing the sport) has conspired with the weather to ensure that the first three weeks of the kids' summer holidays remain speedway-free. For a sport allegedly aiming to attract more youngsters to the terraces, I would suggest the fixture policy is in need of some revision before next season. 

This is going to sound very controversial to some folk, "4thbender" included, but financial and historical evidence proves it time and time again.

Actually, unless your speedway club is in a holiday-making area (eg Poole, Somerset, Eastbourne), the first couple of weeks of the school holidays are among the very worst for speedway attendances because so many folk hurry away for their own family holidays as soon as the kids have broken up.

Hence a big-city club like Sheffield or Newcastle could expect to lose at least 15% of the usual home hardcore support on any late-July dates (maybe even 25%) while being unlikely to make that gap up at the same time because, guess what, just as many of the potential new families and youngsters are on their own holidays as well.

So instead of regarding the school summer holidays as a single 6-week spell, it's far more accurate to break this spell down into two chunks - the opening "getaway fortnight" and then the rest of the school break - and really target attracting new folk (especially youngsters without school the next day) in that latter chunk 

Other summer sports are even more blatant in recognising this situation, notably rugby league who now deliberately stage their Challenge Cup semi-finals as a neutral-ground double-header festival during the last weekend of July in place of a full slate of Super League games (yesterday at Bolton they put their Womens' Cup Final onto the front of the two men's semis and turned the occasion into a triple-header) - it means none of their clubs have to schedule a home game on what they rapidly discovered was a shocking weekend crowd-wise when their sport switched to a summer schedule back in 1996, leaving those Cup semi-finals to fill the gap in terms of newspaper, radio and tv-coverage.

From next weekend onwards, once we're a few days into August and plenty of families are already back home from their own getaways, then yes it's very much the right time for "quid-for-kids" offers, etc.

But you're utterly wasting your time and expectations if you think the twenty-somethings of July are the ideal time for most speedway clubs to cash in on school holidays.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Col said:

£100 on petrol and £180 on two nights hotel to make this match less hectic than a one day visit, but, hey detritus happens. After the downpour on Saturday with Bolsterstone literally being  the top of a waterfall, heading towards S6  and Shiregreen Road outside the Concord Sports Centre  being a lake at midday today the timing of the postponement was perfect. No doubt the usual suspects will find something to whinge about (Oh it's started :rolleyes:) but after sweltering in just a polo shirt, above the waist, at Sheffield Club v United PSF on Friday night who would have predicted the sudden  and dramatic climatic change?.  

As usual well done to Tigers promotion for sensible actions in preventing day tripping away (and home)  fans from  starting their journeys , but at the same time allowing for sufficient preparation should they have been able to trust the weather to look to get the track race fit. As one of their longest distance travelling supporters maybe I should have most to moan about, with a minimum spend of around £150 per home match;  when there is a postponement, but, being drop dead gorgeous. I am just happy to get on with life and eschew the miserable.  It takes less face muscles.  

So the bonus of a couple of excellent ales  (£2.80 a pint) in the Tool Makers Brewery Tap, getting a box of Hendos to gift to the southern masses and home in time  for Poldark for the other half and another Sunday to diarise  for the rearranged date. 

Hope you make it back this season  Col; well worth making the trip. As for me I may well look to make the Toolmakers Tap (The Forest) one of my libation stop offs for future matches. That makes it 24 options now. :drink:

Opened the newspaper to find the  score Sheffield 51 Newcastle 39 in the results selection alongside the Scunthorpe match and had to look twice as I thought the meeting was off.

18 hours ago, Col said:

Have only been to Eddie Wright Raceway once, when staying in Sheffield for work. Assumed it would be a significantly longer journey from home but it is still less than 2 hours (which is about my limit) according to Google. Wil keep that in mind next time.

It depends where you are in Sheffield I guess - I live close to Junction 31 of the M1, and I can be on the M18 in 10 minutes, and it's motorway practically all the way there.  I remember going to Crowle which is just outside Scunthorpe for something whilst Sheffield were closed in 1989/90 and finding it was so easy to get there, I wished that speedway was there then.  Of course back in those days it was a case of imagining the least likely thing in the world to happen, and Scunthorpe reopening was somewhere below that! 

As for yesterday, I went to Barnsley on Saturday which obviously took me in reasonable proximity to Owlerton and much of the day it was just like a monsoon, I'm amazed it wasn't called off earlier to be honest. 

According to the Sun newspaper today two Speedway results were listed Scunthorpe 44 Glasgow 46 and Sheffield 51 Newcastle 39 as the latter

was postponed where did they get that result from ?.

Guest Loose Diamond
11 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

£100 on petrol and £180 on two nights hotel to make this match less hectic than a one day visit, but, hey detritus happens. After the downpour on Saturday with Bolsterstone literally being  the top of a waterfall, heading towards S6  and Shiregreen Road outside the Concord Sports Centre  being a lake at midday today the timing of the postponement was perfect. No doubt the usual suspects will find something to whinge about (Oh it's started :rolleyes:) but after sweltering in just a polo shirt, above the waist, at Sheffield Club v United PSF on Friday night who would have predicted the sudden  and dramatic climatic change?.  

As usual well done to Tigers promotion for sensible actions in preventing day tripping away (and home)  fans from  starting their journeys , but at the same time allowing for sufficient preparation should they have been able to trust the weather to look to get the track race fit. As one of their longest distance travelling supporters maybe I should have most to moan about, with a minimum spend of around £150 per home match;  when there is a postponement, but, being drop dead gorgeous. I am just happy to get on with life and eschew the miserable.  It takes less face muscles.  

So the bonus of a couple of excellent ales  (£2.80 a pint) in the Tool Makers Brewery Tap, getting a box of Hendos to gift to the southern masses and home in time  for Poldark for the other half and another Sunday to diarise  for the rearranged date. 

Hope you make it back this season  Col; well worth making the trip. As for me I may well look to make the Toolmakers Tap (The Forest) one of my libation stop offs for future matches. That makes it 24 options now. :drink:

Ok. How far do you have to travel to home matches then?

23 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Looks like Sheffield got it right and you spy got it wrong

14 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

So the bonus of a couple of excellent ales  (£2.80 a pint) in the Tool Makers Brewery Tap, getting a box of Hendos to gift to the southern masses and home in time  for Poldark for the other half and another Sunday to diarise  for the rearranged date

I'll be surprised if it's a Sunday. Newcastle don't have any free Sunday dates until middle of September + a cup final and 90th Anniversary meeting to fit in.