British Speedway Forum
Col

Sheffield Tigers v Newcastle Diamonds

4 minutes ago, leander said:

I'll be surprised if it's a Sunday. Newcastle don't have any free Sunday dates until middle of September + a cup final and 90th Anniversary meeting to fit in.

Correct. The agreement on this date suited both parties with us giving up our seniority for a Sunday meeting. With the Sunderland Airshow in the area over the weekend, medical and police resources were stretched so it was best to get away to Sheffield, and save Sheffield needing to have the meeting on another night such as a Thursday. Unfortunately that option as Leander has said is now not available with all our Sundays taken up.   

33 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Correct. The agreement on this date suited both parties with us giving up our seniority for a Sunday meeting. With the Sunderland Airshow in the area over the weekend, medical and police resources were stretched so it was best to get away to Sheffield, and save Sheffield needing to have the meeting on another night such as a Thursday. Unfortunately that option as Leander has said is now not available with all our Sundays taken up.   

How ironic would it be if the re staging was on a Thursday! Although unlikely, due to Danny King's commitments. Unless of course the Witches have any free Thursdays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

How ironic would it be if the re staging was on a Thursday! Although unlikely, due to Danny King's commitments. Unless of course the Witches have any free Thursdays. 

They wouldn't be allowed to run on a Thursday.

The only other option, apart from a Sunday (as far as I can see), is a Wednesday.

Edited by StevePark

5 hours ago, Loose Diamond said:

Ok. How far do you have to travel to home matches then?

Around 200 miles each way. 

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

They wouldn't be allowed to run on a Thursday.

The only other option, apart from a Sunday (as far as I can see), is a Wednesday.

Why not?

The regulations state:-

16.1.1 Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Premiership League on Mondays
and Thursdays. Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Championship
League on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Nothing to state that they can't run on a Thursday. It just means that any rider who doubles up would be required to ride for his Premiership team if they have a fixture (i.e. Danny King would have to ride for Ipswich if they have a fixture). Redcar already have one meeting pencilled in for a Thursday (all be it a British Under-19 championship). 

As far as I'm aware Newcastle's reserve date is still a Monday (also a Premiership day) , although we shouldn't need it as we are now the senior Sunday track.

Edited by leander

32 minutes ago, leander said:

Why not?

The regulations state:-

16.1.1 Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Premiership League on Mondays
and Thursdays. Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Championship
League on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Nothing to state that they can't run on a Thursday. It just means that any rider who doubles up would be required to ride for his Premiership team if they have a fixture (i.e. Danny King would have to ride for Ipswich if they have a fixture). Redcar already have one meeting pencilled in for a Thursday (all be it a British Under-19 championship). 

As far as I'm aware Newcastle's reserve date is still a Monday (also a Premiership day) , although we shouldn't need it as we are now the senior Sunday track.

I asked Martin Phillips quite a few weeks ago, if needed could we run on a Monday and he said "no."

20 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I asked Martin Phillips quite a few weeks ago, if needed could we run on a Monday and he said "no."

Spot on Steve as all track staff like the airfence team ect have work commitments on weekdays so it would be very difficult to run Mondays nowadays unless we can attract much more extra help on race days & especially in the winter for track work

29 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Like i said it's very unlikely we'll need it (unless we get to the 27th/28th October). Birmingham's alternative race day is a thursday according to their website.

1 minute ago, leander said:

Like i said it's very unlikely we'll need it (unless we get to the 27th/28th October). Birmingham's alternative race day is a thursday according to their website.

And, if you look at Sheffield's website, they haven't got one!

2 hours ago, Moranboys said:

well,todd kurtz released by somerset.food for thought!

Would need to change two riders to fit him in.

Broc and Drew out for Todd and Danyon Hume and move Zaine up to either 2 or 4 would just fit under 40.

More likely to stay as we are though.

We have run on Mondays loads of times in the past, problem with Wolves though

and we have had a Wednesday meeting in the Championship winning season

Guest Loose Diamond
3 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

Around 200 miles each way. 

Ok.Thanks.

2 hours ago, Loose Diamond said:

Ok.Thanks.

No problem. 

Todd Kurtz just became available after being sacked by Somerset. With Broc liable to be absent for the rest of the season, would his average allow him to fill the gap?