British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Barry Duke

Just had good chat with the ex Robin at local m&s cafe. Said Fundin was his hero, Briggo best he rode with, and Mauger best he rode against. Recalled a match in 1970 at Wembley, riding at 2 with Briggo, got two 5-1s against Eide, Harkins, Jessup,  then Fundin split them. Doesn't go now, even though he's got free ticket..Friendly geezer. Unmistakeable ponytail. Had many run-ins with Briggo.

Ever present for one season in 1970, riding with Briggo, Hitchy, Kilby, Munday, Keener, Broady, Woolford etc.,

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 3

I saw him ride frequently for West Ham in 1971. He was decent at Custom House and did a good job for the Hammers in a difficult season.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly Barry moved to Custom House from Cradley in a swap with Mick Handley, but it was quite late in the season. Glad to hear he's ok.

• Like 1

Wonderful personality. At Weymouth he went fron second half to reserve to second string to heat leader in successive weeks. Guys with pony tails and beards were very rare at the time so he really stood out and quickly became a bit of a folk hero. Of course the usual instability at Weymouth saw messrs Mawdsley and Lansdale pull out of Weymouth after the season to start their new venture at Rochester. Pity as the local community was really starting to take to the then Eagles. 

Most memorable Barry escapade was when he clashed wit Terry Stone on the home straight and went careering off onto the centre green. Now the stadium at that time was in a terrible state and the centre green grass had not been cut for months. It was waist high at the lowest and much higher elsewhere. The surface was also incredibly rutted and Barry was soon separated from his bike with Barry and bike flying on in different directions. The ever dedicated Red Cross came over as fast as the conditions allowed but then they had a problem - they couldn’t find him! One shouted “Here’s the bike” but it was a few seconds later when another shouted. “OK. I’ve got him he’s over here”. 

Luckily Barry was just bruised and shaken up and it was always a pleasure to follow his later career regardless of his team. 

Nice to hear he is doing well

• Like 5

On 7/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, salty said:

If I remember correctly Barry moved to Custom House from Cradley in a swap with Mick Handley, but it was quite late in the season. Glad to hear he's ok.

He said he preferred West Ham as it was a bigger track.

Was saying he earned £2.40 once riding at Glasgow, fell at first bend, first race, and took no further part in meeting! Was earning 40 quid a week in 1970, twice what his dad was!

Edited by auntie doris

There was an interesting interview with Barry in a recent edition of 'Backtrack'.

• Like 1

Chatting to The Duke today as we were shopping in Aldi north Swindon.

• Like 2

Only thing I remember is I think he looked like one of the Bee Gee’s

Still has long hair now in a grey bun, with familiar moustache.

Edited by auntie doris

8 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Still has long hair now in a grey bun, with familiar moustache.

It was long hair and a beard when he was at Cradley, not sure which Bee Gee he looked like could have passed for Barry Gibb, or a younger Maurice Gibb.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, racers and royals said:

The only thing i remember about Barry Duke( hope i`m right) is that when he retired he was a grave digger.

Think that he now works at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford?

On 6/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, steve roberts said:

Think that he now works at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford?

Used to part-time, think he may be fully retired now?

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Going thru' my old Vintage Speedway mags, came across an interview with Barry under the tile of  "Speedway's Happy Hippie". It was in Vol. 7 #4--winter 2000. A large part of the interview was to do with Barry's health-in 1999 a lump on his neck was diagnosed as a malignant tumour- a secondary tumour- he had a major operation and had a big dip in back of his neck which his long hair covered. He said his life had now taken on a new urgency and the interview ended with the interviewer saying" he intends to enjoy the rest od his life as much as he can and the sort of year he had in 1999 makes that a decision a sensible one".

The irony is that the interviewer was Bob Radford  and that 20 years afterwards Barry is still around but Bob is the one who has gone. Who would have thought it. Life is such a crapshoot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1