British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

23 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

Can somebody enlighten me please ! How does Schlien qualify, has he got a British passport ?

Rides on a GB licence

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

Fine, I am just enquiring as to how he qualifies in the old day's you had to be British !!!

Like Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger etc did.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Gutted for Robert and speedy recover.

Whilst the next generation of British riders is very promising (Bewley and Lambert included) this line up is beyond poor with a mostly lower level field.

Cook should blitz it even tho he is riding with an injury.

Bewley let’s hope can make the final so that the future generation is represented.

As for the rest none have any aspirations on the big world stage so it’s of little importance who else features in the final.

It will be a great achievement for any other rider I’ve not named to be crowned British champion but will mean little else to the GP elite or foreign leagues sadly.

Agreed and why I’m routing for Dan. I want to see how he handles a GP.

With the greatest of respect to Craig we know already how he performs in the series so I’m hoping he is well away from the final. Reality though is he will be there or there about.

Im going purely because it’s an even field and that equates to good racing at the NSS so for me it’s all about a good quality motorsport event.

In terms of significance though, its immaterial in the grander scheme and frankly one of the worst line ups I’ve seen in a British final.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Gutted for Robert and speedy recover.

Whilst the next generation of British riders is very promising (Bewley and Lambert included) this line up is beyond poor with a mostly lower level field.

Cook should blitz it even tho he is riding with an injury.

Bewley let’s hope can make the final so that the future generation is represented.

As for the rest none have any aspirations on the big world stage so it’s of little importance who else features in the final.

It will be a great achievement for any other rider I’ve not named to be crowned British champion but will mean little else to the GP elite or foreign leagues sadly.

Mostly lower level field?

check the line up at least 12 Premiership regulars. 

Admittedly the premiership is not as high a standard as it once was but this lineup is as strong as it could be.

• Like 1

Very disappointing news about Rob Lambert - wishing him a speedy recovery. 

Think Cook is the clear favourite now even with a wrist injury. I'd love to see Dan Bewley win it - the lad is a massive talent and he and Robert represent the future of GB Speedway.

King and Schlein as outsiders. 

4 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Admittedly the premiership is not as high a standard as it once was but this lineup is as strong as it could be.

Every single one of that field, apart from Bewley, race in the championship so yes, it’s lower level.

The standard of British speedway, and tonight is the best we can do, is really clear with this line up.

• Like 2

Whilst the line up is hardly world class by any stretch of the imagination it is no worse really than the line up for the Swedish Final held on Saturday. I would say only Poland, Denmark and to some degree if they all rode Australia could put together a decent national championship line up.

Howarth, Barker and Garrity would all increase the quality of tonights field if they replaced, Newman, Lambert and Ayres

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, acef said:

Agreed and why I’m routing for Dan. I want to see how he handles a GP.

With the greatest of respect to Craig we know already how he performs in the series so I’m hoping he is well away from the final. Reality though is he will be there or there about.

Im going purely because it’s an even field and that equates to good racing at the NSS so for me it’s all about a good quality motorsport event.

In terms of significance though, its immaterial in the grander scheme and frankly one of the worst line ups I’ve seen in a British final.

Agree with the comments about Craig Cook.

Whilst his ambition and desire to be in the GPs is admirable I think he just doesn't have the ability to perform at that level in a consistent basis. 

If he really wants to step up a level he needs to get in the Polish League & stop picking up easy points in the 2nd tier of UK speedway.

• Like 2

Takes a massive amount of the shine off for me, the meeting is a lower standard than a second division riders championship line up and if it wasn't at such a great track with a couple of other Lynn riders in it I probably wouldn’t bother watching. 

Just hope the racing is very good. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

And mostly double up which makes them lower level riders in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Nothing against riders like Simon Lambert or Josh Auty but wouldnt it be better for the future generation to let riders like Bickley or Kemp take the places of the injured riders to give them much needed experience.  

20 minutes ago, acef said:

Every single one of that field, apart from Bewley, race in the championship so yes, it’s lower level.

The standard of British speedway, and tonight is the best we can do, is really clear with this line up.

On that basis then the premiership is ' lower level ' but it's still the top level in Britain so it's the ' higher level ' isn't it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

Whilst the line up is hardly world class by any stretch of the imagination it is no worse really than the line up for the Swedish Final held on Saturday. I would say only Poland, Denmark and to some degree if they all rode Australia could put together a decent national championship line up.

Howarth, Barker and Garrity would all increase the quality of tonights field if they replaced, Newman, Lambert and Ayres

So what you are saying is, don't have a progression through semis, but just draft in who you fancy?  Quite insulting to those who supported the semi finals and to those riders that qualified through them!

• Like 3