British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Such a breath of fresh air. Witty, comical, playful and insightful. The bloke has got the lot!

Just to add to the original post I’d agree before Monday night Wright would be classed as ‘a bang average rider’, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

However if he really wants to move in in the sport he needs to ditch the safety of the CL and try to get contracts in Europe and use PL only next season.

Looking at that line up it was a perfect choice for a ‘spoiler’ to step up so huge congratulations to Charles on the victory. 

Just caught up with the meeting last night and it’s great to see a good crowd. Racing probably not at its highest standard till late on when as expected it delivered. But an average meeting at the NSS is better than the majority of all other tracks at their best anyway.

Wright has been having a great season and looks to have made good progress. For GB let’s hope that continues.

However if he really wants to move in in the sport he needs to ditch the safety of the CL and try to get contracts in Europe and use PL only next season

Wright is already top of P'Bro's averages in the Premiership, has a contract in Poland ( who owe him thousands in wages) so how much further do you want him to move on?!?!?!

12 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

However if he really wants to move in in the sport he needs to ditch the safety of the CL and try to get contracts in Europe and use PL only next season

Wright is already top of P'Bro's averages in the Premiership, has a contract in Poland ( who owe him thousands in wages) so how much further do you want him to move on?!?!?!

As already discussed he needs to drop the safety of the CL, and look at contracts in Sweden, Denmark.

Just maybe he has turned a corner this season and it’s the start of something bigger happening. 

1 hour ago, Loose Diamond said:

Don't think anyone did. Just saying. In a bit of a reference to you saying "What a poor line -up" Robert Lambert and Tai Woofinden missing.

So it WAS a poor line-up.

• Like 1

WHAT it show is if you put 16 riders of similar ability and similar equipment on a proper race track you will get great entertainment...

• Like 8

21 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

I'm not having that, no one would have picked Charles Wright, Chris Harris is up and down at the NSS.  Cook yes and probably king. 

I would have picked Charles Wright and I did, would have also gone with Cook and King, probably Bewley or Worrall rather than Harris though. Having said that I fancied Wright for a place, didn't expect him to win it but he took his chance so well.

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT it show is if you put 16 riders of similar ability and similar equipment on a proper race track you will get great entertainment...

Spot on all 16     could mix it and that made for some really good racing, that is  why i believe bringing  the big hitters back to the Prem is not the answer .Run to a budget  and try to field a competitive team with the funds you have available that hopefully will keep tracks in business.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stevebrum said:

As already discussed he needs to drop the safety of the CL, and look at contracts in Sweden, Denmark.

Just maybe he has turned a corner this season and it’s the start of something bigger happening. 

You appear not to understand the financial implications of ' dropping the CL'.

The Championship pays him around 60% of his current wages based on number of fixtures and scores, without that he simply cannot afford to do the PL as its far too few fixtures and as his average at Peterbrough shows, no harder than the championship.

Sweden is such a small league and with its fixtures and team selection rules, he's not going to get in that league and Danish league is not a step up unless he is in their Elite which also isn't going to happen for the same reasons.

His Polish team haven't paid his wages for last season so he's way out of pocket there and you want him to drop 60% of his earnings?

Would you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Loose Diamond
4 hours ago, foamfence said:

So it WAS a poor line-up.

Ok.

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

This ^^.  Not normally a fan of 'invivids' apart from the GPs but this year's Bitish Final was great with a possibly surprising yet deserving winner....

19 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Rampant envy can be the only explanation for the odd instances of criticism of the racing and the Belle Vue track on this thread.

BV is the only true, proper speedway circuit in this country and speedway fans lucky enough to live anywhere near this superb venue have basically won the speedway lottery of life.

What always makes me laugh are some of those so eager to criticise the track cant wait to jump in after a few races, hence the racing improves and silence. Some seem to think its some sort of magical place where fantasy speedway is produced every race, mind you a bad meeting here can normally kick a good one elsewhere into a cocked hat. From what I hear Swindon is shaping up well and the racing is improving there, which is good news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bellevueace said:

What always makes me laugh are some of those so eager to criticise the track cant wait to jump in after a few races, hence the racing improves and silence. Some seem to think its some sort of magical place where fantasy speedway is produced every race, mind you a bad meeting here can normally kick a good one elsewhere into a cocked hat. From what I hear Swindon is shaping up well and the racing is improving there, which is good news.

My lad plays in a Lesgue One Academy and plays his home games on a Vanarama North Team's 4G pitch..

The pitch is used every day from around 10am to 10pm by various sporting teams from the local area, and this morning was home to a 'holiday club' for primary school boys and girls who were on the pitch before we arrived..

The pitch cost £400k and within five years has paid for itself and more...

The non League team is doing 'well' and pays its players what it can afford to and not a penny more..

My point?

The investment in the playing surface guaranteed not only the survival of the club but also means the football played on it is very much along the floor and not hoof and hope, thus the fans appreciate it and crowds stay decent even though the team is lower mid table every year with pretty much zero expectation of promotion. 

The players they attract know the rate for the job well in advance and therefore the level is pretty much bang average for the bang average  money they pay out..

The NSS (and some others) show that, even with modern machinery, a fit for purpose 'playing surface' can still deliver great entertainment, particularly when combined with riders of relatively the same ability level each race..

I am sure many tracks even with the confines of a greyhound track could improve their track shape with wider entrances and exits to bends and a more overall circular design if they wished..

No point just keeping paying out hundreds and thousands to riders, who may or may not be at your club next week/month/season to positively effect the clubs long term development, and to be frank, don't attract any extra punters through the turnstiles by their personal attendance...

Better I would suggest to invest in the tracks future by spending thousands on providing a great shape which delivers great racing..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

My lad plays in a Lesgue One Academy and plays his home game on a Vanarama North Team's 4G pitch..

The pitch is used every day from around 10am to 10pm by various sporting teams from the local area, and this morning was home to a 'holiday club' for primary school boys and girls who were on the pitch before we arrived..

The non League team is doing 'well' and pays its players what it can afford to and not a penny more..

My point?

The investment in the playing surface guaranteed not only the survival of the club but also means the football played on it is very much along the floor and not hoof and hope, thus the fans appreciate it and crowds stay decent even though the team is lower mid table every year with pretty much zero expectation of promotion. 

The players they attract know the rate for the job well in advance and therefore the level is pretty much bang average for the bang average  money they pay out..

The NSS (and some others) show that, even with modern machinery, a fit for purpose 'playing surface' can still deliver great entertainment, particularly when combined with riders of relatively the same ability level each race..

I am sure many tracks even with the confines of a greyhound track could improve their track shape with wider entrances and exits to bends and a more overall circular design if they wished..

No point paying out hundreds and thousands to riders, who may or may not be at your club next week/month/season to positively effect the clubs long term development, and to be frank, don't attract any extra punters through the turnstiles by their personal attendance...

Better I would suggest to invest in the tracks future by spending thousands on providing a great shape which delivers great racing..

Spot on. The trouble is in speedway you get criticised for investing money! The Facennas at Glasgow recognised that the existing stadium and track wouldn't attract any more than the 400 diehards , if you were lucky, that were attending when they took over. They invested heavily in the stadium and every year have improved the track - safety fence, shape - and general facilities, the latest being a big screen. Yet they get criticised for being 'rich'. Anyone that wants to see if it has worked just look at the videos for Heat 15 from the last 2 meetings on their web site or facebook page. Brilliant racing and an enthusiastic crowd going mental.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Along way to go bellevueace with Swindon and the track, but it is very encouraging indeed, i have really  enjoyed the racing this year thus far.I was very worried about changing the track losing its tradition but it has been the best thing that has ever happened different lines appearing and the racing close.Look Belle Vue is in a different league and for me it is easily in the top three racetracks in the world MORT   should never be  forgotten on what he achieved with designing this racetrack.Hyde rd was my favourite racetrack ever, but maybe the NSS has to rival that now just a shame we can't present a GP there a crying shame.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

My lad plays in a Lesgue One Academy and plays his home games on a Vanarama North Team's 4G pitch..

My point?

No point just keeping paying out hundreds and thousands to riders, who may or may not be at your club next week/month/season to positively effect the clubs long term development, and to be frank, don't attract any extra punters through the turnstiles by their personal attendance...

Whilst I agree hole heartedly with your idea it's simply not feesable for 90% of the current tracks for different reasons.

The main hurdle is who, outside of Glasgow, has that sort of money to change their track shape? 

Whilst Leicester have had three attempts to do it so far it's still not the greatest of shapes for racing, Ipswich have tried and it has improved but still not great.

Most clubs are losing money so major spending , even investing, isn't going to happen under present ownerships.

Take the worst shape track in the country, Newcastle. They can't alter it because of restrictions from the stadium owners and drainage issues so nothing can be done .