British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

17 hours ago, Loose Diamond said:

Well years ago it seemed like it was viable. And there were no tracks purposely built for speedway.( Or not too many anyway) So what has changed then??

The bikes have changed !

Guest Loose Diamond
9 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

The bikes have changed !

Yes. They have. Trying to make an old design engine rev up to about 14000 rpm. (Possibly not that high. I'm sure one of the many experts will correct me on that one) And bang!! Wrecked been warmed-up on the stand! More riders expense. How many engines used to blow up years ago or chains snap or get thrown off during a race years ago? Quite a few riders in the 70's & 80's never seemed to have the bike problems that we see now. All this adds to riders expense, then want more pay tracks cannot afford this and so on.with the crowds they get. It's a vicious circle.

6 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You appear not to understand the financial implications of ' dropping the CL'.

The Championship pays him around 60% of his current wages based on number of fixtures and scores, without that he simply cannot afford to do the PL as its far too few fixtures and as his average at Peterbrough shows, no harder than the championship.

Sweden is such a small league and with its fixtures and team selection rules, he's not going to get in that league and Danish league is not a step up unless he is in their Elite which also isn't going to happen for the same reasons.

His Polish team haven't paid his wages for last season so he's way out of pocket there and you want him to drop 60% of his earnings?

Would you?

I understand it perfectly. However this a finance versus ambition issue.

We all know the majority of riders racing in the UK leagues need both leagues to make it pay, hence why one big league will force even more riders out of the sport.

The comment I originally replied to was about Wright being a ‘bang average rider’ and his performance in the British Final and this season has suggested there may be a much better rider in there.

Do you think Woffy and Lambert dropped the CL didn’t take a huge gamble in doing so? Of course they did. Why did they?? Because they have ambition on a bigger scale. 

There are plenty of British riders that have ridden abroad and been dropped and forced back to the comfort of the CL - Cook, Harris, Nicholls to name a few in recent seasons. 

Someone like Bewley is being nurtured by his Polish club and you can be sure he will drop the CL next season, if not 2021. Why? Because he has ambition. 

Not every rider can take the risk and or lack that ambition.

Ive no idea if Wright is looking to explore contracts abroad, he should because he has shown this year he has more to give.

However to just put it down to just financial is only one side of the bigger picture.

Nothing wrong with doubling up if it pays the bills and fair play to them for that. And looking at Monday’s field most do however most of the riders who haven’t achieved higher in the top league (Bomber, Nicholls, Cook, King, Schlein for example) can really be described as bang average. And let’s be clear there is nothing wrong with that either.

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I understand it perfectly. However this a finance versus ambition issue.

We all know the majority of riders racing in the UK leagues need both leagues to make it pay, hence why one big league will force even more riders out of the sport.

The comment I originally replied to was about Wright being a ‘bang average rider’ and his performance in the British Final and this season has suggested there may be a much better rider in there.

Do you think Woffy and Lambert dropped the CL didn’t take a huge gamble in doing so? Of course they did. Why did they?? Because they have ambition on a bigger scale. 

There are plenty of British riders that have ridden abroad and been dropped and forced back to the comfort of the CL - Cook, Harris, Nicholls to name a few in recent seasons. 

Someone like Bewley is being nurtured by his Polish club and you can be sure he will drop the CL next season, if not 2021. Why? Because he has ambition. 

Not every rider can take the risk and or lack that ambition.

Ive no idea if Wright is looking to explore contracts abroad, he should because he has shown this year he has more to give.

However to just put it down to just financial is only one side of the bigger picture.

Nothing wrong with doubling up if it pays the bills and fair play to them for that. And looking at Monday’s field most do however most of the riders who haven’t achieved higher in the top league (Bomber, Nicholls, Cook, King, Schlein for example) can really be described as bang average. And let’s be clear there is nothing wrong with that either.

There's only you describing Wright as ' bang average' which surprises me as he's improved every season , been a heat leader in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons and a no.1 in the championship also, nothing average about that.

Bewley doesn't ride in the CL now but has a Polish club that pays him mega bucks when it's owed, not like Opole who won't pay Wright the thousands they owe him. ( Wright is not the only victim in Poland)

I have known him for four seasons and the lad does not lack ambition but , as yet, he has not attracted the level of sponsors the likes of Lambert and Woffy have secured when they were on the ' up'. If your going to say drop the CL why hasn't Cook? Does he lack ambition?

hes been in the GP and can still qualify for next year, he's tried abroad ( but it hasn't worked ) but he still takes the easy money in the CL.

to describe Wright as ' bang average ' is frankly insulting , check your last 3 speedway yearbooks and you will see he has been a high performer for quite a while he just doesn't blow his own trumpet enough and only hit the headlines when Gary May used him as a scapegoat for under performing Somerset and oh how he regrets that one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

There's only you describing Wright as ' bang average' which surprises me as he's improved every season , been a heat leader in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons and a no.1 in the championship also, nothing average about that.

Bewley doesn't ride in the CL now but has a Polish club that pays him mega bucks when it's owed, not like Opole who won't pay Wright the thousands they owe him. ( Wright is not the only victim in Poland)

I have known him for four seasons and the lad does not lack ambition but , as yet, he has not attracted the level of sponsors the likes of Lambert and Woffy have secured when they were on the ' up'. If your going to say drop the CL why hasn't Cook? Does he lack ambition?

hes been in the GP and can still qualify for next year, he's tried abroad ( but it hasn't worked ) but he still takes the easy money in the CL.

to describe Wright as ' bang average ' is frankly insulting , check your last 3 speedway yearbooks and you will see he has been a high performer for quite a while he just doesn't blow his own trumpet enough and only hit the headlines when Gary May used him as a scapegoat for under performing Somerset and oh how he regrets that one.

You have clearly failed to read my post properly. My initial response on this thread was because someone mentioned that Wright was ‘bang average’ and it initiated a conversation on it to which I replied with my initial response suggesting prior to the British Final he may well have found himself in that bracket. I didn’t initiate the original comment so you must have become confused.

Ive already said Wright has had a much improved season and it looks like he has more to give. Did you choose to ignore that part??

Did I say it was easy to break into European leagues?? Good on him for having ambition and making after Monday’s meeting some will be knocking on his door with offers. I really hope so for the lad as that’s good for GB to have riders able to perform and ride on the European tracks. I take it you won’t take that as a slight at him tho??

Cook we all know flopped big time in Poland and now probably won’t get another chance which is a huge shame for him because whilst he seems to have ideas way above his ability he isn’t afraid to try and that ambition alone gets my support. Cook only takes the money of the CL because he has no choice, but you can bet your last pound that if Europe came calling he would be off like a shot ditching the lower tier because like I say what he doesn’t lack is ambition.

We know Poland are fickle with riders and there are litters of riders with a money story to tell.

wright I have to applaud for being a slow improver and maybe it’s unfair to lump him in a category of double up only riders. My point however was in response to someone else making that comment so please don’t say it’s only one person saying so.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:11 AM, Dornier fixer said:

He didn`t do too bad to say  you said and I quote  ` hes a bang average rider.`   just shows how much you know about non Belle Vue riders.

This was the original post I replied to that acef had originally made.

34 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

There's only you describing Wright as ' bang average' 

Read the above quoted comment. So you are wrong just to be clear.

7 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

You have clearly failed to read my post properly. My initial response on this thread was because someone mentioned that Wright was ‘bang average’ and it initiated a conversation on it to which I replied with my initial response suggesting prior to the British Final he may well have found himself in that bracket. I didn’t initiate the original comment so you must have become confused.

Ive already said Wright has had a much improved season and it looks like he has more to give. Did you choose to ignore that part??

Did I say it was easy to break into European leagues?? Good on him for having ambition and making after Monday’s meeting some will be knocking on his door with offers. I really hope so for the lad as that’s good for GB to have riders able to perform and ride on the European tracks. I take it you won’t take that as a slight at him tho??

Cook we all know flopped big time in Poland and now probably won’t get another chance which is a huge shame for him because whilst he seems to have ideas way above his ability he isn’t afraid to try and that ambition alone gets my support. Cook only takes the money of the CL because he has no choice, but you can bet your last pound that if Europe came calling he would be off like a shot ditching the lower tier because like I say what he doesn’t lack is ambition.

We know Poland are fickle with riders and there are litters of riders with a money story to tell.

wright I have to applaud for being a slow improver and maybe it’s unfair to lump him in a category of double up only riders. My point however was in response to someone else making that comment so please don’t say it’s only one person saying so.

My apologies for mis-quoting you. There was obviously another mis- guided ,ill informed individual making the phrase up.

Wright has been over looked by many including a certain team GB manager who put a lower averaged rider from Wrights former club in the squad ahead of him but that's another story.

Im sure Wright would drop what ever league stood in his way should the offer of a lucrative contract elsewhere come up that would improve him as a rider, how ever finance will always come first with any rider. If there's no difference in quality between the CL and the PL ( which I believe there isn't) but he earns more from the CL , I think that would sway anyone's decision but as we are rumoured to be heading to one league next year than all of this is discussion will be made redundant.

49 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

My apologies for mis-quoting you. There was obviously another mis- guided ,ill informed individual making the phrase up.

Wright has been over looked by many including a certain team GB manager who put a lower averaged rider from Wrights former club in the squad ahead of him but that's another story.

Im sure Wright would drop what ever league stood in his way should the offer of a lucrative contract elsewhere come up that would improve him as a rider, how ever finance will always come first with any rider. If there's no difference in quality between the CL and the PL ( which I believe there isn't) but he earns more from the CL , I think that would sway anyone's decision but as we are rumoured to be heading to one league next year than all of this is discussion will be made redundant.

No worries, just wanted to make sure that you were aware I wasn’t particularly calling Wright ‘bang average’ but that he could quite easily be lumped in with other riders who appear happy with just doubling up.

You obviously know Charles so it’s really refreshing to hear that he has that ambition. I couldn’t be any happier to hear that. 

There is still a difference between both leagues despite that gap being the smallest of all time because there has rarely been a big scalp when clubs from both leagues are pitched together in friendlies and the relegation matches. Even in the last couple of seasons. I personally disagree that both leagues should be made closer as we should be striving for a stronger top flight but that seems more and more unlikely these days. Sweden are struggling for new riders but they wouldn’t make their leagues closer and Poland certainly wouldn’t!

For me that’s the biggest turn off for the sport and will alienate more who want to see the best riders by weakening and the possibility then of going into one big league (it won’t happen with all current teams and structure because there aren’t enough riders for each team) will see more riders alienated from the UK and more British riders retiring because they can’t make one league pay.

Obviously we all want wants best for our UK league(s) tho whether those in power have the ability to deliver a suitable product is a big ask. I’d imagine it will be another plaster and weakening in the close season.

Edited by stevebrum
Spelling

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Pinny said:

Cook is a poor mans Carl Stonehewer .

Top second tier rider but nothing more , Stoney mixed it in the GPs for a few years but apart from that their a similar type. 

Nothing wrong with that of course but he is never going to be better than he is .

not in the uk he is a top tier rider 

• Like 1

Just now, ray c said:

not in the uk he is a top tier rider 

So was Stoney and he held down a 6 plus average in the top tier when it was super strong and rare for a GP rider NOT to be riding in it . Think Gollob and Holta were the only two not to for a while ?

On 7/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, paulboy said:

I would have picked Charles Wright and I did, would have also gone with Cook and King, probably Bewley or Worrall rather than Harris though. Having said that I fancied Wright for a place, didn't expect him to win it but he took his chance so well.

Fantastic how much did you win?

On 7/31/2019 at 6:46 AM, tyler42 said:

Who before the start of the meeting would have been your pick for the final?

Cook, Bewley, Worrall, and then one from Schlein, king, Lawson.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:58 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

I think a lot of people had Wright down as a strong chance to make the podium so to say nobody would have picked him is a touch strong. Harris if any was the surprise package with Worrall or Schlein the only others likely to mount a real challenge as the others are just too inconsistent. 

The odds said different, he was 25/1.

18 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

Fantastic how much did you win?

I'm not a big better, only £5 e/w at 12-1!