British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

1 hour ago, Hamish McRaker said:

I like a good balanced mixture of brains and balls.

Funnily enough so does my missus. Although she got neither with me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Recorded it and when I watched the final I thought I was watching the SON again with Cook and Harris 3rd and 4th! 

Well done Charles Wright but my word, the quality of riders in the 80's and 90's that contested the British Final compared to last night shows the mess we are in!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toad said:

Well done Charles Wright but my word, the quality of riders in the 80's and 90's that contested the British Final compared to last night shows the mess we are in!

But the racing was still very good last night, so you don’t need all the top names to produce good racing. A decent track and riders who are up for it is what matters, both were present last night.

• Like 9

Yes the racing was good once the track settled down and some of the moves were incredible and it's why we love the sport but you could virtually pick 3 of the finalists before the start and apart from TW and RL we have no one remotely near international class. 

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I actually think you need to go back to trying to win heavier at home as this trying to get riders to be better away is not working.With Wells it did not work and you relinquished a chance of having two really decent reserves.Your biggest problem is the track you have is so brilliant other teams love going there and the home advantage is nil.

Yes agree about the problem with the track being so good others love to visit, Swindon could end up with a similar problem as their track appears to be bedding down nicely. We really need to be better away  as the margins we are losing by would not give us much chance of going through over two legs against any side at the moment. Keeping the away margins much closer is a must.

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

The rule is actually 'if the race is stopped the referee shall exclude the culprit' - there's no 'first bend doesn' t count' caveat.    

So if referees are allowed to regularly ignore that rule  by ordering 'all four back' re-runs after a bingle on the first turn, they can theoretically do so at any stage, on any lap. 

Which would lead to all sorts of stuff, l fear. 

Last night, the rider 'who was the cause of the stoppage' was maybe 25% Stevie Worrall, 75% Paul Starke.  Never Charles Wright. 

As long as he gets call right,what’s the problem.Think he got it wrong last night though.He doesn’t have to exclude to call a re-run.

Pinny summed it up best when he mentioned Cook is a bit like Stonehewer, exceptional rider at div 2 level, good rider at div 1 level but not world class level and most of the time will struggle when against a field of established world class riders, that however is still a level a lot of riders will never get near too, some riders will never be more than a div 2 reserve.

Its impossible to compare like for like era's but you have to wonder how some riders would have gone had they been around in the 80s when doubling up was not an option, personally putting aside the argument of the amount of rides and viability to only race one league, I have always felt it holds a rider back.

Charles Wright reminds me a bit of David Norris..

Both obviously talented from an early age but both seemed to drift along doing 'OK' without breaking sweat..

Norris ended his career as a true top level rider when, by his own admission, he started to focus more, so let's hope Wright can have a similar leap forward to the higher levels now he has the confidence brought on by being National Champion.

Always frustrating when a 'natural talent' doesn't reach its full potential, and Wright definitely has that..

31 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Yes agree about the problem with the track being so good others love to visit, Swindon could end up with a similar problem as their track appears to be bedding down nicely. We really need to be better away  as the margins we are losing by would not give us much chance of going through over two legs against any side at the moment. Keeping the away margins much closer is a must.

Swindon in a way are the same i only look to score 41/42 pts away as our away form is poor maybe that could change with Musielak back but at home we should build up good leads.For me just say if you had Auty/Berge at reserve with Lidsey in the top five that is stronger than you have at the moment and you would certainly score more home points at home.

The line-up not being as strong as whenever. Of course not. The Sport has changed. I went into it thinking the same. But at the same time thinking, Oh yeah, Good, Speedway on the telly. When it started i honestly wished i was there. Fans from all over the place. The 2 Glasgow fans(a couple) were really enjoying themselves. It had everything. Wrong decision. A worthy Champion. Fun. Yes FUN in our Sport. Danny Ayres. What a guy. I knew about his personal story from reading the Star a few weeks back. I am sure our lad, Bewley would have been up there. the lad is struggling. He will come again. The coverage by BT was really good. Tai doing the heat line-up. LOL. I could not sleep for ages through going over all the thrills and spills back in my head. Tell you what i would give last night 10/10 for entertainment.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

The rule is actually 'if the race is stopped the referee shall exclude the culprit' - there's no 'first bend doesn' t count' caveat.    

So if referees are allowed to regularly ignore that rule  by ordering 'all four back' re-runs after a bingle on the first turn, they can theoretically do so at any stage, on any lap. 

Which would lead to all sorts of stuff, l fear. 

Last night, the rider 'who was the cause of the stoppage' was maybe 25% Stevie Worrall, 75% Paul Starke.  Never Charles Wright. 

You say 25% Stevie Worrall, 75% Paul Starke, never Charles Wright.

Not the case imho.  If putting percentages on it, more like 60% Charles Wright, although a racing accident as has been said.  If you look at the different angles, the rear view showed Starke moving out to the fence, but that's a natural line for a rider to take coming out of the 2nd bend, at the time coming out of the 2nd bend Starke was ahead so he was entitled to go out to the fence and a natural line to take, coming out of the 2nd bend Wright was behind and yes he had more speed, that's why he overtook Starke, but he should have seen Starke and the natural line he was taking out to the fence and taken account of it, instead he was going so fast that he quickly shot past Starke and as he did he clattered Starke who was by now further out to the fence and the natural line that Starke was already on or taking.  That's obvious on the side view, and while it looks rather different on the rear view, its the side view that is the truer reflection on what actually happened.  If you take it from Starke's point of view he was following the natural line coming out od the 2nd bend out to the fence down the back straight and he got taken out by somebody clattering him on his way past.  As the car insurance forms question asks "If one thing could have prevented this accident what would it be?" then the answer to that question is that if Wright had stayed behind Starke there would have been no contact and no accident.  Although I agree with others that all four back would have been a fairer way to deal with it and just a genuine racing accident.  Starke knew nothing about it, he would've needed eyes in the back of his head to see Wright.  On slowing it down and replaying it a few times that's obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toad said:

Yes the racing was good once the track settled down and some of the moves were incredible and it's why we love the sport but you could virtually pick 3 of the finalists before the start and apart from TW and RL we have no one remotely near international class. 

I'm not having that, no one would have picked Charles Wright, Chris Harris is up and down at the NSS.  Cook yes and probably king. 

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Swindon in a way are the same i only look to score 41/42 pts away as our away form is poor maybe that could change with Musielak back but at home we should build up good leads.For me just say if you had Auty/Berge at reserve with Lidsey in the top five that is stronger than you have at the moment and you would certainly score more home points at home.

Well Nikalai Busk Jacobsen is in for Aarnio for the rest of the season, hopefully he can replicate his poole form from last season, I would certainly settle for 40/42 points away we are far off that at the moment.

Edited by bellevueace

18 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

I'm not having that, no one would have picked Charles Wright, Chris Harris is up and down at the NSS.  Cook yes and probably king. 

I think a lot of people had Wright down as a strong chance to make the podium so to say nobody would have picked him is a touch strong. Harris if any was the surprise package with Worrall or Schlein the only others likely to mount a real challenge as the others are just too inconsistent.