British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

Fantastic to see Charles Wright take this and not altogether unexpected for those of us who have rated him so highly for a while now. After Coventry closed I moved to Somerset and have been watching the Rebels whenever I can and Wright stood out for me during the first two years of seeing him tackle the Oak Tree Arena as a truly exciting rider, a bit hit and miss at times, but when on his game, usually very exciting to watch. Pure box office.

I greatly regretted Rebels not being able to tempt him back for whatever reason and as a result, supporting the team has been less exciting as a result - a bit like winning the clock back a decade or so to golden days at Brandon with the two veterans Harris and Schlein now leading the team in their twilight years but missing the true excitement of an up and coming hero such as Wright in the ranks. I wonder what the management are currently thinking after this triumph.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jenga said:

no , its only a fractured wrist . Craig  said it was fractured on his social media and the Glasgow spiel machine put it down as a broken and over sold it to joe public .  typical stuf frae Glasgow ..nuff sed ..

Dr. Jenga,

What is the difference between fractured and broken please?

Thanks,

A. Layman

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jenga said:

no , its only a fractured wrist . Craig  said it was fractured on his social media and the Glasgow spiel machine put it down as a broken and over sold it to joe public .  typical stuf frae Glasgow ..nuff sed ..

Would you be an armchair speedway rider?????       Pulled from the internet:-

1)  A wrist fracture is a medical term for a broken wrist. 

2)  How long does it take for a fractured wrist to heal?  eight weeks.   It might take eight weeks or longer for your wrist to heal. More severe breaks may not fully mend for six months. 
Easy sat at home is'nt it. If Cookie says he has a fractured wrist he has by definition a broken wrist which could take 8 weeks or longer to mend.... in the meantime he will be suffering discomfort, especially when trying to control a fast speedway bike at speeds of 60mph plus, all for your entertainment and him earning a living to feed his wife and child.  As for me, and no doubt you, we get a cold and want a week off work. 

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Thanks 3

Congrats to Charles, deserved winner. Those few meetings with Somerset at the end of 2013 had the feeling of a last opportunity at that level and if it was he's certainly taken it. Improved every year since then and whilst he probably won't reach GP level there's still more to come from him. Hope he can have a good meeting at Cardiff.

Special mention to Danny Ayres too, keep up the entertainment!

1 hour ago, TheScotsman said:

Dr. Jenga,

What is the difference between fractured and broken please?

Thanks,

A. Layman

hi layla . 

i am not too sure , but at a guess i would say  one you put a cast or heavy strapping , the other is left to heal in its own time with no support . ..... 

thats the way i see it....  especially as Craig  said it was a fracture and therefore not a break .

any other health problems , just msg me with your ailments .

Dr J  

in medical terms , a fracture is also called a .  a break  , 

Craig said his wrist was fractured .

Edited by jenga
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, marko said:

Pinny summed it up best when he mentioned Cook is a bit like Stonehewer, exceptional rider at div 2 level, good rider at div 1 level but not world class level and most of the time will struggle when against a field of established world class riders, that however is still a level a lot of riders will never get near too, some riders will never be more than a div 2 reserve.

Its impossible to compare like for like era's but you have to wonder how some riders would have gone had they been around in the 80s when doubling up was not an option, personally putting aside the argument of the amount of rides and viability to only race one league, I have always felt it holds a rider back.

Watched them both a lot over the years, craig cook is nowhere near as good as stonehewer was. 

Well done Charles Wright , thoroughly deserved win last night, Danny Ayers Mr entertainment,  great stuff.

Congratulations to Charles Wright, best rider on the night.

30 minutes ago, Midget said:

Watched them both a lot over the years, craig cook is nowhere near as good as stonehewer was. 

Would agree.Plus Stoney was not that good at BritishLeague top level at the time.

Charles has a busy week coming up ,rest assured when he gets home to Redcar on Sunday he will get a great well done  

Well done again  - UTB

58 minutes ago, Midget said:

DOESN'T make him a bad person or a bad rider. If he gives 100 per cent that's all you can ask of anybody. And the time he takes to interact with fans is a big plus.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DOESN'T make him a bad person or a bad rider. If he gives 100 per cent that's all you can ask of anybody. And the time he takes to interact with fans is a big plus.

Where does he say he is a  bad person or a bad rider?

Rampant envy can be the only explanation for the odd instances of criticism of the racing and the Belle Vue track on this thread.

BV is the only true, proper speedway circuit in this country and speedway fans lucky enough to live anywhere near this superb venue have basically won the speedway lottery of life.

• Like 3