British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British final Belle Vue Monday July 29th live on BT Sport

Schlein for me. I want to see an Aussie get the wildcard. Wouldn't that be wonderful..

I wonder what flag he'll wave in Cardiff.

Edited by Terry
  • Haha 1

With all the doom and gloomers on here complaining about the quality of the line up, I would like to know what they would suggest to solve what THEY see as a problem?.....

As others have said in terms of quality this is probably the worst British Final for some time but it is what it is, so good luck to all the riders, all the riders that is apart from Rory Schlein who i hope has an absolute stinker and finishes to where nearĀ a British Champ title or the Cardiff SGP wild card place.

14 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

With all the doom and gloomers on here complaining about the quality of the line up, I would like to know what they would suggest to solve what THEY see as a problem?.....

I don't think it's all doom and gloom, but it's frightening to think how far British speedway has fallen. Back in the day to make a British final was an achievement in itself. Was it ten riders seeded this year? AnywayĀ it is what it is. Let's hope it's a good meeting racing wise. PSĀ Joe Owen, who was a fantastic rider back in the 70s/80's never made one final!!Ā 

17 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Don't count myself as one of those as I really don't care much about the competition and even in the good old days, never went. But I guess the only thing that could be done, is like some other competitions, have a few decent riders in the line up that aren't in the running for the title. Generally this happens in some national finals where they don't have enough riders to make up a field. But of course you would be robbing a few Brits of a place in the meeting, just to attract probably a handful more supporters.....

Probably a world championship qualifying round Ā at Yarmouth in the 1950's would have a better line up than this.

• Haha 1

Wise words on Polish tv yesterday by Piotr Swist who used to ride in GB.

"Everyone says how bad British league currently is. But many of Polish soĀ called young prospects tried it and not many delivered on those tight, technical tracks".

Field tonight might not be the best but these guys know how to race in GB! Expecting great meeting!

Ā 

• Like 4

Yaah Britain is behind other nations with the quality of riders. But dont take any notice of this line up. It's only what it is because of injuries and a rider refusing.Ā 

Ā 

Add tai, lambert, ellis, howarth, and garrity and you have a pretty decent line upĀ Ā 

Ā 

Most of the riders are of same quality tonight so should be a great meeting racing wise.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, krompa said:

Wise words on Polish tv yesterday by Piotr Swist who used to ride in GB.

"Everyone says how bad British league currently is. But many of Polish soĀ called young prospects tried it and not many delivered on those tight, technical tracks".

Field tonight might not be the best but these guys know how to race in GB! Expecting great meeting!

Ā 

The world has passed us by but onlyĀ ourselves fail to realise it.Ā 

• Like 1

I remember goingĀ to several British Finals at Coventry in the 80s where at least a dozen of the field had the ability to win it on the night. There were many decent riders that weren't considered the top guys that would destroy most of tonight's field. The likes of Alan Grahame, Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson, Ian Cartwright and lots of others spring to mind.Ā 

• Like 1

So, many fans say the premier and championship league should join as one and get rid of highly paid non British riders. That means two teams starting a meeting will lkely be weaker then today, but I assume that will be judged ok, the racing will be just as good, but British speedway will be better for it.

Then comes the British Championship with two big names not in (Tai and Robert) and it gets judged as a weak final, the worse for many years.

Obviously cant please all the people all the time.

The meetings at BV, a great race track. I think the meeting will be a good one, racing may be just as good without the big names, maybe not as fast, but that does not matter does it, after all "we" want British league riders on 2 valvers and standard engines.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Yaah Britain is behind other nations with the quality of riders. But dont take any notice of this line up. It's only what it is because of injuries and a rider refusing.Ā 

Ā 

Add tai, lambert, ellis, howarth, and garrity and you have a pretty decent line upĀ Ā 

Ā 

Most of the riders are of same quality tonight so should be a great meeting racing wise.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Who refusedĀ 

Bewley, Cook, Schlein top three for me. Shame about the line up but the issues are purely injury based, the line up would not have been as bad as people are making out. Looking forward to the meeting, it has opened up nicely. Charles Wright to spring a surprise if Bewley doesn't pull it off.

24 minutes ago, Speedway28 said:

Bewley, Cook, Schlein top three for me. Shame about the line up but the issues are purely injury based, the line up would not have been as bad as people are making out. Looking forward to the meeting, it has opened up nicely. Charles Wright to spring a surprise if Bewley doesn't pull it off.

Maybe Lawson might cause an upset

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, acef said:

Who refusedĀ 

Tai

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1