Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

G. tigers V L .lions . Friday 26th July ..SOMEWHERE AROUND 7.30 ISH

1 hour ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Is the limit crazy ?

Teams in this league need to cut their cloth accordingly.

Should Cook, Masters, Worrall, Schlein etc be allowed in this league

Strengthen up the premiership and create this championship to a level where no one over 7.50 is in this league.

Then let teams race in the league that suits them 

Do not have a team total in top league as money ( lack of ) will prevent it getting too strong.

Joe Lawlor et al will develop but no body gains from a personal or a sport or a spectator point of view of a meeting in which the number 1s race against the 5th to 7th average rider in a team.

drastic but speedway is broken in all countries and someone needs to change direction and fast

British speedway has the perfect platform for progression, i.e. a three league structure that if used correctly would be the perfect stepping stones for riders to develop.

Unfortunately the points limit should have been dropped to this level 5 years ago, and also a maximum average put on riders to force them to step up a league, and stay there!

Lost count of the number of promising riders I've seen at third tier level who have failed to make a step up to the middle league pay and have quit speedway all together, I'm sure at least a few of them would have developed further given time to gain confidence riding at a higher level.

British speedway simply cannot afford to pay the top riders in the world any more, as is stated above, clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly, or they are simply putting themselves out of business

Edited by speed ace

43 minutes ago, jenga said:

not so much as asking ,but saying he was slow and needs more aggression in his riding . he is just a kid on the speedway ladder hoping to make it .

(soz . wrong choice of words )

They call it constructive criticism nobody wants Kyle replaced where did you see that posted ?.

That "fast track" scheme used by the top league a few years ago, whatever it was called then, didn't do much to improve things because it should have been done in the second tier but presumably the promoters didn't want it because they preferred to complete their teams with foreign rubbish. 

Now it's clear to me that it needs to be properly re-introduced to the Championship next season, with a mixture of protected heats and the riders being fenced-off from the rest of the team in the team building/averages. You just have a maximum team building average for 1-5

1 hour ago, highroad119 said:

As good as last night was I still think we will see better from the track when there's a bit more dirt on it when there's no threat of rain. Several riders seemed to struggle with visibility last night. Scott Nicholas wiping visor mid bend is unusual to see. 

It was sweat

Last night we had 2 equally matched teams with the racing from the top drawer, if not higher, and people are going on about what should happen with riders and averages. We should be trying to emulate whats happened at Glasgow trackwise at other tracks. Good exciting racing has resulted in good enthusiastic crowds with riders getting standing ovations and that includes opposition riders as well. Then you watch the dross that appears on BT, the Facennas must be wondering what they are doing wrong. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gazc said:

They call it constructive criticism nobody wants Kyle replaced where did you see that posted ?.

read my reply above your post ! i was thinking of my mate sarj when i wrote that .  any how good to se he doubled his average to 6.00 as promised 2 years ago . stick wid him . he will be ok in the n.l . !

Edited by jenga
Do I need a reason ?

10 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Last night we had 2 equally matched teams with the racing from the top drawer, if not higher, and people are going on about what should happen with riders and averages. We should be trying to emulate whats happened at Glasgow trackwise at other tracks. Good exciting racing has resulted in good enthusiastic crowds with riders getting standing ovations and that includes opposition riders as well. Then you watch the dross that appears on BT, the Facennas must be wondering what they are doing wrong. 

Unfortunately I think televised speedway over the last twenty or so years has had a detrimental effect on crowd numbers.

The racing at Glasgow used to be good pre 2011 track modifications, and only now is it getting back to, or even better than that level.

Just now, speed ace said:

Unfortunately I think televised speedway over the last twenty or so years has had a detrimental effect on crowd numbers.

The racing at Glasgow used to be good pre 2011 track modifications, and only now is it getting back to, or even better than that level.

The matches I have seen at Ashfield have been as good as it has ever been ,some cracking action on track even when no passing takes place.Well organised and well run set-up and good atmosphere.The sport is in difficult times though and needs a radical rethink.(doubtful),hard to say where it is going.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The matches I have seen at Ashfield have been as good as it has ever been ,some cracking action on track even when no passing takes place.Well organised and well run set-up and good atmosphere.The sport is in difficult times though and needs a radical rethink.(doubtful),hard to say where it is going.

Our last three matches have been excellent, well matched teams producing great entertainment. Our league is largely good with the odd exception (Birmingham, Edinburgh :) ). What we dont want is to rescue the Premiership as its on its arse and have all the BS that comes with it. The CL doesnt need rescuing, is its own product and has a good mix of teams.

• Like 2

Totally agree the Premiership has raided the CL. Whenever in trouble.I don’t understand why clubs keep switching divisions surely in would be better 1 league and a more meaningful fixture list.

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Totally agree the Premiership has raided the CL. Whenever in trouble.I don’t understand why clubs keep switching divisions surely in would be better 1 league and a more meaningful fixture list.

Where would the riders come from? Most riders currently ride for teams in each league. The Premiership is a glorified CL with the exception of Doyle, Lambert and Fricke.

3 minutes ago, MD said:

Where would the riders come from? Most riders currently ride for teams in each league. The Premiership is a glorified CL with the exception of Doyle, Lambert and Fricke.

This has been discussed many times, who knows, but it can’t go on as it is, although I can see a few teams dropping out the sport,the way things stand.

28 minutes ago, MD said:

Our last three matches have been excellent, well matched teams producing great entertainment. Our league is largely good with the odd exception (Birmingham, Edinburgh :) ). What we dont want is to rescue the Premiership as its on its arse and have all the BS that comes with it. The CL doesnt need rescuing, is its own product and has a good mix of teams.

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Unfortunately not all teams can afford to compete at this level, and fans these days are not going to support a team that consistently finishes in the lower half of the table.

Some teams may disagree c l doesn't need rescuing, 

Cost to put out 11 evenly matched teams could be greatly reduced just by eliminating the top two riders in each team.

Don't think one big league is going to benefit British speedway short or long term, again amalgamation would only be to bolster premiership.

Just a pity more promoters weren't prepared to take a chance and actually promote the sport, and improve things like Glasgow have done

4 minutes ago, MD said:

If all the riders that had quit because they couldn't make the step up work were still riding you probably wouldn't be far away

3 minutes ago, speed ace said:

Unfortunately not all teams can afford to compete at this level, and fans these days are not going to support a team that consistently finishes in the lower half of the table.

Some teams may disagree c l doesn't need rescuing, 

Cost to put out 11 evenly matched teams could be greatly reduced just by eliminating the top two riders in each team.

Don't think one big league is going to benefit British speedway short or long term, again amalgamation would only be to bolster premiership.

Just a pity more promoters weren't prepared to take a chance and actually promote the sport, and improve things like Glasgow have done

If all the riders that had quit because they couldn't make the step up work were still riding you probably wouldn't be far away

You have to remember the Glasgow Promotion are serious business men and money was not really a concern on bringing the Stadium and Team up to scratch.Credit to them for their interest and Professional way they went about it, but even they are saying the speedway must pay its way.Most Promotions are on the breadline.

"Just a pity more promoters weren't prepared to take a chance and actually promote the sport, and improve things like Glasgow have done"

This is not a dig at Glasgow as I believe they have done a tremendous amount for very little reward but no other club has the financial backing to go out and do the same. Speaking to a promoter recently who spends his own ( not the clubs ) money to do the little he can afford as his club losses money every meeting so has no budget for advertising.

• Like 1