British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wee Eck

Too much pressure

I’ve just read that Henry Atkins has stood down from Somerset. This used to be a rarity but is this not the third or fourth young British rider this year?

Part of this might be caused by the reduction in the points limit at the beginning of the year, meaning that too many riders came into the league before they were ready but it doesn’t explain Zach Wajtnecht and Jack Thomas taking a break.

The up and coming riders need all the experience going but maybe it’s time to bring back the protected races that the Elite League used when they had the draft system? 

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

I’ve just read that Henry Atkins has stood down from Somerset. This used to be a rarity but is this not the third or fourth young British rider this year?

Part of this might be caused by the reduction in the points limit at the beginning of the year, meaning that too many riders came into the league before they were ready but it doesn’t explain Zach Wajtnecht and Jack Thomas taking a break.

The up and coming riders need all the experience going but maybe it’s time to bring back the protected races that the Elite League used when they had the draft system? 

Jack Thomas was allegedly not being paid.

Atkins is the second Somerset rider to step down this weekend.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Heats 2 and 8 are protected .

It’s Somerset’s choice but I’m no fan of top heavy teams and almost having sacrificial reserves, to be fair Rowe has done well but it was inevitable that at least one of them wouldn’t see the season out. Hopefully he will come back stronger for the experience. A little bit of pressure is good for youngsters but not too much, plus does it really make for enjoyable, unpredictable meetings if like at Brum in Wednesday a team has ten plus wins and lasts. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

I think there'll always be those who fall by the wayside, moving up isn't just about riding ability, it needs a strong and determined mindset.

• Like 2

Can't win. Riders and fans alike have been begging to give the youngsters a chance but when given the chance they've ultimately failed to take the pressure of proper league racing. At the end of the day we as fans don't understand the full extent of what's happening behind closed doors and we'll probably never know. But I think on this one you can't blame the bspa.

• Like 1

You have to start somewhere,Lee,Collins Jessup’s were all in British League at young age.You have to have the mentality and ability to cope.Lots of these young guys were riding underage speedway and grasstrack so they know what to expect.You either have it or you don’t that’s the brutal reality of sport.

• Like 2

Don't think it helped Atkins that he started off with no NL place so just had Championship meetings, he seemed to be scoring okay until his injury as well. Hopefully he'll regain his confidence with Mildenhall and come back stronger next season.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Don't think it helped Atkins that he started off with no NL place so just had Championship meetings, he seemed to be scoring okay until his injury as well. Hopefully he'll regain his confidence with Mildenhall and come back stronger next season.

To be fair Henry had NL offers but turned them down at the start of the season as the initial thought was that he didn't need them. He quickly backtracked but it was too late by then. He is a well polished and likeable lad who knows how to be publicly perceived but would benefit with a mentor behind the scenes to help him take the next step up as the majority of riders who have gone on to bigger things all learn from someone.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Fromafar said:

You have to start somewhere,Lee,Collins Jessup’s were all in British League at young age.You have to have the mentality and ability to cope.Lots of these young guys were riding underage speedway and grasstrack so they know what to expect.You either have it or you don’t that’s the brutal reality of sport.

I think Poland have it just about right.

Whilst U21 you can stay at reserve..

Then its over to your capability..

If your not cutting it at reserve in the Championship then, harsh reality that it is, it may not be the sport for you if you have designs to make a career out of it..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, Wee Eck said:

Is it Henry or Mike Atkins that has decided? Henry has talent but he needs an unbiased experienced mentor guild him. 

36 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think Poland have it just about right.

Whilst U21 you can stay at reserve..

Then its over to your capability..

If your not cutting it at reserve in the Champion then, harsh reality that it is, it may not be sport for you if you have designs to make a career out of it..

That’s my sentiments it is a sport and as in any sport nowadays money seems to be all it is about ,there are hundreds if not thousands who do not make the grade in their chosen sport.Like you say these people have to find something else.Harsh but true IMO.

• Like 2

Lad was never ready for CL level of racing and again shows up teams using riders from the NL to fit in higher averaged riders at the top.

Teams will change come what may so I hope Henry continues in the sport.