British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE

I would remind people that during the last independence campaign, George Osborne along with his Labour and Libdem counterparts went to Scotland and went on stage together and explained that Scotland after independence would not have the pound as their currency. Two things, this is the only time I can remember all three "main" parties agreeing on anything so much that they were willing to appear on the same stage with the same message. And, Alex Salmond went into the vote saying he didn't believe it!

Well it's true. I want you to stay, but if you go on your own, it's full financial independence with your own currency. That might not be a good idea in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, False dawn said:

Well it's true. I want you to stay, but if you go on your own, it's full financial independence with your own currency. That might not be a good idea in my humble opinion.

Nothing more to add to that. Simply perfect.

• Like 1

I personally think if Ireland can make a success with independence why can’t Scotland?

When I look at the map I only see one blob of land .There is no natural border . The idea of Scotland being another country is a myth created by the racists like Sturgeon and the alleged sex offender Alex Salmond. Scotland is simply a region of Great Britain, as are England and Wales. 

But Scotland supposedly doesn't want independence, it wants to leave one Union, the UK, to join another Union, the EU,  - ? ?
The 2016 referendum (on EU membership) was a single entity UK referendum. It was not geographical area by geographical area, -  no more for Scotland than for Yorkshire, Rutland, or Kent to make a choice of their own.

Scotland is one of the few areas outside South East England which actually makes a net contribution is UK coffers, so in the short term they will be fine.

In the medium to longer term as a country they will have to pivot away from oil and gas. This presents a challenge as well as an opportunity. Scotland has huge potential for offshore wind for example. The equation is whether they would be best placed to exploit this inside or outside the UK.

Independence would give Scotland the flexibility to adopt policies which best suits their economic goals, something that is less likely to happen being governed from Westminster.

Personally, I can understand the attraction of independence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattK said:

Independence would give Scotland the flexibility to adopt policies which best suits their economic goals, something that is less likely to happen being governed from Westminster.

Maybe true independence would, ( - ?, I'm unsure,) but they have more influence at Westminster than they would ever have in Brussels !

37 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

When I look at the map I only see one blob of land .There is no natural border . The idea of Scotland being another country is a myth created by the racists like Sturgeon and the alleged sex offender Alex Salmond. Scotland is simply a region of Great Britain, as are England and Wales. 

But isn’t Europe just one blob of land?

That’s a daft argument.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, britmet said:

Maybe true independence would, ( - ?, I'm unsure,) but they have more influence at Westminster than they would ever have in Brussels !

I think the point is, with only 35 MPs out of 650 and very little devolved powers, many feel they don't have any influence in Westminster today.

27 minutes ago, MattK said:

I think the point is, with only 35 MPs out of 650 and very little devolved powers, many feel they don't have any influence in Westminster today.

and they would have more in the E.U :rofl:

• Like 1

Just out of interest,  if Scotland were to vote for independence  ( I hope that never happens ) , what sort of deal would it get from the rest of the UK or would the Tory right start screaming No Deal .

Edited by Seymour Dix

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD anyone actually be bothered if Scotland won their independence?

It's astonishing how Brexiteers 'want to get their country back'', yet are quite prepared to sacrifice Scotland and Northern Ireland (and probably) Wales to do so. 

Yes, many would be bothered about the break-up of the UK because we have shared relationships, but whilst Scottish nationalism started out as a bit of a silly wanting to be separate for the sake of it sort of thing, you can now quite understand why they object to being run by the current bunch of clowns in Westminster. I've no time for the SNP, but they've never played the nonsensical games that Westminster governments have with the EU and have very successful made the case to the Scottish population of its benefits.

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's astonishing how Brexiteers 'want to get their country back'', yet are quite prepared to sacrifice Scotland and Northern Ireland (and probably) Wales to do so. 

Yes, many would be bothered about the break-up of the UK because we have shared relationships, but whilst Scottish nationalism started out as a bit of a silly wanting to be separate for the sake of it sort of thing, you can now quite understand why they object to being run by the current bunch of clowns in Westminster. I've no time for the SNP, but they've never played the nonsensical games that Westminster governments have with the EU and have very successful made the case to the Scottish population of its benefits.

More than happy for Scotland to leave under a Withdrawal Agreement paying England £39 billion and with a promise of some sort of trade access at some point in the future.

Let’s face it, they’ll be gagging for all those fresh Mars Bars from Slough.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHY do Scottish MPs at Westminster vote on matters that only affect England? 

I agree that's wrong. 

There are matters which are UK matters,  likewise issues that affect the various countries within the UK only, I always thought it was wrong at Welsh and Scotish Questions in Parliament,  English MP'S  were allowed to speak on matters that were none of their business.