British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Educate me on Danny Ayres

His name has cropped up recently. I know he's 32. But had real go tonight.

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

His name has cropped up recently. I know he's 32. But had real go tonight.

Some stats from speedwaygb...

AYRES, Daniel (Danny) Stuart
DATE OF BIRTH: 16 August 1986, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
BRITISH CAREER: (2014-15) Kent; (2016) Glasgow, Kent; (2017) King’s Lynn, Leicester, Redcar, Cradley; (2018) Mildenhall; (2019) Scunthorpe, Mildenhall.
CLUB HONOURS: Pairs Championship winner: 2015 [Kent]; Knock-Out Cup winner: 2016 [Glasgow]; National Trophy winner: 2018 [Mildenhall].

2 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Some stats from speedwaygb...

AYRES, Daniel (Danny) Stuart
DATE OF BIRTH: 16 August 1986, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
BRITISH CAREER: (2014-15) Kent; (2016) Glasgow, Kent; (2017) King’s Lynn, Leicester, Redcar, Cradley; (2018) Mildenhall; (2019) Scunthorpe, Mildenhall.
CLUB HONOURS: Pairs Championship winner: 2015 [Kent]; Knock-Out Cup winner: 2016 [Glasgow]; National Trophy winner: 2018 [Mildenhall].

Cheers. A real late one. Was it MX before as some are now.

Danny was always a great entertainer when he raced grasstrack which I followed from 2008 until approx.2012

• Confused 1

Watched Danny for and against Cradley over the last few years, he's always been quick and exactly the kind of rider speedway needs.  Really interacts well with the fans both on and off track and great to watch.  I think in previous years he has been prone to a mistake here and there which kept him from making the step up but that seems to have been solved this season so far.  Long may it continue

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fliss44 said:

Danny was always a great entertainer when he raced grasstrack which I followed from 2008 until approx.2012

I though Danny was a moto x convert? Not sure i have ever seen or heard of him on the grass?

He is though a true gent and has developed into a class act from what was a very scruffy beginning. There will be plenty who remember his first year at Kent & Rye House where he would fall multiple times in a race, so much so that he developed the ability to slide off and remount in almost one movement. He works tirelessly on his riding and on bettering himself and its really paying off. He also has the theatrics, showmanship and pantomime villian down to a tee so love or loathe him everyone wants to see Danny Ayres. If you ever get the chance to talk to him please do as he is one of the most genuine, honest and lovable people you will ever meet. 

• Like 5

Saw him ride at the NSS against the Colts against Bewley, Smith, Bickley..

Great to watch and also a great showman...

Just simply one of those 'old school' riders unfortunately the sport is now devoid of..

Still plenty of years ahead of him too, even given his age..

His fan interaction is in a league of it's own. An absolute legend at Kent, one of the few riders in British speedway that genuinely puts bums on seats.

Periodically people suggest that the NL should be for young riders only. For example I have seen suggestions that NL reserves should be under 25 - that would have ruled Danny out from ever getting started in the sport.

• Like 2

For me Danny was the one man in the line up that would have sold out Cardiff should he have qualified. Crazy as a box of frogs but thats why everyone love him.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

For me Danny was the one man in the line up that would have sold out Cardiff should he have qualified. Crazy as a box of frogs but thats why everyone love him.

I beg to differ. No doubt, he’d have been bigged up but, when it came to racing, he’d have been last in every race even if he made a fast start. He’s nowhere near the level of even the weakest of the GP riders. You just need to look at the job that other “entertainer” Jason Garrity did a couple of years ago to realise Danny would also embarrass himself and his supporters. 

He can be great to watch, though not if you were a Scunthorpe supporter last Sunday, and should be encouraged at the level he’s at, not way beyond his current abilities.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I beg to differ. No doubt, he’d have been bigged up but, when it came to racing, he’d have been last in every race even if he made a fast start. He’s nowhere near the level of even the weakest of the GP riders. You just need to look at the job that other “entertainer” Jason Garrity did a couple of years ago to realise Danny would also embarrass himself and his supporters. 

He can be great to watch, though not if you were a Scunthorpe supporter last Sunday, and should be encouraged at the level he’s at, not way beyond his current abilities.

In all fairness i didn't say Danny would win a race, score a point or otherwise. I said he was the one rider in the British final field that might have sold out the British GP. There is certainly no other rider who will dramatically increase ticket sales to the same degree (although i suspect Charles Wright will draw a few extras). Lets not forget there were more than enough who deemed Ayres would go out and be completed outclassed and embarrassed at the British final on Monday night, i think there would only be one winner if a peoples vote was held for rider of the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Periodically people suggest that the NL should be for young riders only. For example I have seen suggestions that NL reserves should be under 25 - that would have ruled Danny out from ever getting started in the sport.

As the ruling would had it been in place in the 1940s. Harold McNaughton at 38 years and Tom Oakley also that age. Both rode eventually at National League (the GENUINE article) level and for England at NL Division Two test match status.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

22 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

We all know Danny is not World Class, but he provided some real entertainment last night with his all out effort, if I was some of the other riders on show who are meant to that much better than Danny I would be embarrassed.!!

• Like 2

We love the lad at Scunny.  Always entertaining,  doesn't know what giving less than 100% is.. always makes time for fans too, an absolute top man

One final mention for all those who are down on the development leagues and the wobblers Danny started out in the MDL at Rye House so well done to hinge & bracket for giving him the chance and hopefully sticking two fingers up to those who doubt its worth every legend has to start somewhere.

• Like 1