British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Educate me on Danny Ayres

Danny Ayres in a race guarantees entertainment.

Watch he when you can.

Win, lose, fall, engine failure -- all life's emotions are on show.

He's also pretty good a riding this speedway bike lark.

Great showman, gutted he didn't get the win, glad he stayed on though, that was a right bucking bronco.

As well as being a Witches fan I pretty much go to every Mildenhall home meeting and Danny is already a legend there . 

He gives everything, loves winning and hates losing , Mr 110% every race ! (As Scott Nicholls would say) 

I believe its only his 4th or maybe 5th year in speedway and with the right sponsorship and equipment he could well find himself in the Premier league sooner rather than later and earning himself some much better money. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gustix said:

Both rode eventually at National League (the GENUINE article) level 

Come on John, it doesn't matter how much you prod, or try to convert your opinion into fact, the TRUTH is that the current "National League" (or National Development League) is every bit as much the GENUINE article as the National League of the 1950's.

To quote the Collins dictionary, "NATIONAL" ls defined as :
"relating to the whole of a country or nation rather than to part of it""
and

"affecting a (or the) nation as a whole; nationwide in scope, involvement, representation, etc"
and
"a competition in which participants compete for a nationwide ranking, title, championship, etc."

Comparisons of specific levels are denoted by titles such as Elite League, Premier League, and First Division...

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Come on John, it doesn't matter how much you prod, or try to convert your opinion into fact, the TRUTH is that the current "National League" (or National Development League) is every bit as much the GENUINE article as the National League of the 1950's.

To quote the Collins dictionary, "NATIONAL" ls defined as :
"relating to the whole of a country or nation rather than to part of it""
and

"affecting a (or the) nation as a whole; nationwide in scope, involvement, representation, etc"
and
"a competition in which participants compete for a nationwide ranking, title, championship, etc."

Comparisons of specific levels are denoted by titles such as Elite League, Premier League, and First Division...

Steve

Except the present 'National' League is not tracking riders like Lionel Van Praag, Jack Milne, Tommy Price, 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Jack Parker, Max Grosskreutz, Eric Langton, Ove Fundin, Ronnie Moore, Ron Johnson - to name just a few. There are many more of similar class.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

11 minutes ago, gustix said:

Except the present 'National' League is not tracking riders like Lionel Van Praag, Jack Milne, Tommy Price, 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Jack Parker, Max Groskreutz, Eric Langton, Ove Fundin, Ronnie Moore, Ron Johnson - to name just a few. There are many more of similar class.

Which is TOTALLY irrelevant...

Again, please read - and comprehend - what I said. The term "National" has absolutely no bearing on quality, ability, experience, or anything like that.

"National" means "nationwide" (on a national basis). Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

The term "National" has absolutely no bearing on quality, ability, experience, or anything like that.

"National" means "nationwide" (on a national basis). Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve

It is sad that the National League now attracts a lesser quality of rider compared to the high standard of trackman it featured in the 1930s onwards through many subsequent post WW2 seasons.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

It is sad that the National League now attracts a lesser quality of rider compared to the high standard of trackman it featured in the 1930s onwards through many subsequent post WW2 seasons.

It's not sad at all. It is not a case of attracting "a lesser quality of rider"; the "National League" is now designed to be a third division. We never had a "Premier League" or "Championship" back then.

The level is irrelevant, and the term "National" was never meant to indicate a particular - let alone superior - level. That is what "First", "Second", and "Third" divisions are for...

Steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gustix said:

9 hours ago, chunky said:

It's not sad at all. It is not a case of attracting "a lesser quality of rider"; the "National League" is now designed to be a third division. We never had a "Premier League" or "Championship" back then.

The level is irrelevant, and the term "National" was never meant to indicate a particular - let alone superior - level. That is what "First", "Second", and "Third" divisions are for...

Steve

So far as I am concerned a matter of opinion. I saw and admired the National League for what it was in its post-war glory. In those days it was genuine quality of rider representation - I can't say the same for what is being served up for the diminishing attendances the sport is nowadays "enjoying." 

In my VERY early speedway years the National League was by the quality of rider and clubs THE standard for the sport. To supplement speedway's general appeal there was also a NORTHERN League in which by and large rider standard was lower. All  rather akin to what is dished up these days in the National League relative to the current top Premiership and Championship leagues.

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, gustix said:

a so far as I am concerned a matter of opinion. I saw and admired the National League for what it was in its post-war glory. In those days it was genuine quality of rider representation - I can't say the same for what is being served up for the diminishing attendances the sport is nowadays "enjoying." 

In my VERY early speedway years the National League was by the quality of rider and clubs THE standard for the sport. To supplement speedway's general appeal there was also a NORTHERN League in which by and large rider standard was lower. All  rather akin to what is dished up these days in the National League relative to the current top Premiership and Championship leagues.

It has nothing to do with opinion, it is FACT! Opinion cannot take precedence over fact, regardless of how much you hate the fact(s).

A "National League" is a league that covers the entire country. FACT.

A "National League" is no indicator of standard. FACT.

A "Northern League" indicates a Regional League, which understandably would not be as strong as a National League.

Yes, the top tier was once called the National League (when there was one division - or at least one senior division). So what? It has also been the National League Division One (although it wasn't always referred to as such), the British League (when there was one division), the British League Division One, the Elite League, and the Premiership. Of these, the "National" and "British" headings merely indicated that it was nationwide.

I'm sorry, you can't rewrite the dictionary just because of your opinion or interpretation. Are you going to tell me that orange juice is green, because it is your opinion? Or that a whale is an insect, because it is your opinion?

It doesn't matter what it WAS, what it IS, or what it WILL BE. The term "National" means one thing, and one thing only.

Steve

Edited by chunky

So there we have it Gustix has his own personal opinion and will continue to bang that drum at every occasion (in all fairness we all have our own opinions / passions on things)

What is clear though is Danny Ayres started out as a rag tag chancer, progressed through to talented but emotional clown and is now a National hero. If anyone know a film producer......just make sure the 70's moustache era gets edited out.

• Haha 2

I'm intrigued by this character having obviously not seen him ride...any images available?

On 7/31/2019 at 8:55 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

So there we have it Gustix has his own personal opinion and will continue to bang that drum at every occasion (in all fairness we all have our own opinions / passions on things)

Fair point Sings4Speedway. I can recognise the present competion if its correct title as specified by the SGB is used - National DEVELOPMENT League but not in the pretence it is a major national competition as the National League.

https://www.speedwaygb.co.uk

Edited by Guest

Seen Danny ride a few times, knew he was an all-out tryer and something of a character.  Not heard him speak that much before Monday nite but the guy is clearly also a dude, defo worth paying good money to watch....

• Like 1

He is not one of the top riders. But for entertainment he is right up there. He is good enough though. A lot of blokes in our Sport are good lads. They do not act like footballers.(Even i am saying that). Danny is a cheerful lad. Remarkable when you consider what he has been through. Everyone should respect him.

• Like 2