British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Edinburgh 4.8.19 League

Much easier home win than expected...

Pretty poor show from Edinburgh. Jensen and Pickering were good value. Worst I've seen from Heeps and Wells around Scunny. Thought Lawson did fairly well.

For Scunny, pretty solid throughout. Josh Auty was simply magnificent, congrats to him on a well earned 15pt maximum. Simon Lambert had one of his better meetings, fully deserving a shot at heat 15. Worthy mention too for Ryan Kinsley,  you gotta love a trier, 110% effort again with little reward. 

All in all, a decent meeting (as far as us Scunny fans are concerned). Plenty passing...and an easy three points in the bag.

So what was the weather like afterall ?  I only ask as I wasn't there, but was a last minute chance I could make it and was keen attend having (infuriatingly) missed the Glasgow match but I'm sure I saw one forcast predicting a 75% chance of rain at 6PM-ish.  So faced with a near 100 mile round trip as I wasn't at home I decided to give it a miss, wrong call (infuriating again).  I know: breathe deep and relax :rolleyes:....

The scores of Wells and heeps with lambert for the home side sum things up yesterday really. 

The paramedics being late allowing the rain to hit probably didn’t help.

Edited by Mr Blobby

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

So what was the weather like afterall ?  I only ask as I wasn't there, but was a last minute chance I could make it and was keen attend having (infuriatingly) missed the Glasgow match but I'm sure I saw one forcast predicting a 75% chance of rain at 6PM-ish.  So faced with a near 100 mile round trip as I wasn't at home I decided to give it a miss, wrong call (infuriating again).  I know: breathe deep and relax :rolleyes:....

Weather was fine leading up to meeting.... The odd rumble of thunder accompanied by a shower hit after heat 3, made the track a little wet for about four races. It wasn't too bad but John Campbell complained and wanted a halt in proceedings, bit of nonsense really,, his riders seemed okay with it...think he just wanted a breather.  Weather and track was fine for the rest of the meeting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

The scores of Wells and heeps with lambert for the home side sum things up yesterday really. 

The paramedics being late allowing the rain to hit probably didn’t help.

the rain made no differnce to the meeting or the score,

Shame John Campbell acted the clown and got the ref to inspect the track,what a complete fool he made himself look,even the visiting riders seemed shocked at his actions

Josh Pickering is a joy to watch around Scunny,love that kids style

The track was prepared to expect a bit of rain so seemed a bit slick & as the rain, sorry shower, duly arrived around heat 3, it made it a bit greasy with the race time of heat 4 of 64 seconds typical. After the laughable track inspection after heat 4, in bright sunshine which could have meant a sun delay later, the meeting continued with the exciting & entertaining races with multiple passes by both teams on show. The race times improved by 5 seconds as the meeting progressed from heat 5 to heat 15. Jensen & Pickering, as expected, pushed us with Lawson on the pace but I was disappointed with Wells & Heeps with their scores similar to what Auty & Allen scored on Friday.

The meeting was over in an hour & a half even with the track inspection with the thunderstorm also arriving within an hour of the finish & THAT would have stopped any meeting. It was even hard to drive in that, even through town.

Here is the Edinburgh press release(reading the 2nd paragraph, was he at the meeting)

https://www.edinburghmonarchs.co.uk/news-centre/article/2019-08-04/well-beaten-at-scunny

The track didn't look bad enough to me to justify a stoppage. However what the previous posters haven't said is that times went from 58.2 (heat 1) to 64.0 (heat 4 so it suggests there was more of an issue than it appeared.

Yes, the times of the 1st 4 heats were 58.2, 59.9, 61.8 then 64 showed that it had become greasy with the riders maybe being a bit more tentative but the rain had stopped,& it wasn't a thunderstorm just a passing shower, & as I did say, the sun was out with the times improving race by race, bar heat 12(.44 slower than previous heat).

29 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Yes, the times of the 1st 4 heats were 58.2, 59.9, 61.8 then 64 showed that it had become greasy with the riders maybe being a bit more tentative but the rain had stopped,& it wasn't a thunderstorm just a passing shower, & as I did say, the sun was out with the times improving race by race, bar heat 12(.44 slower than previous heat).

However, viewed from the situation at heat 4, there appeared to be a problem. You would have needed a crystal ball to be aware that times were then going to improve, maybe of course you had one.

Yes, there was a problem after heat 4 & the rain but it had stopped & the sun was out & we do see at Scunthorpe that the EWR does dry out with a bit of wind & sun but not always to the level what we saw yesterday. It is, also, up to the riders with their mind set & even said in the club afterwards they were riding on dust out wide at the end of the meeting.

52 minutes ago, Al Stewart said:

However, viewed from the situation at heat 4, there appeared to be a problem. You would have needed a crystal ball to be aware that times were then going to improve, maybe of course you had one.

There wasn’t a problem – the track didn’t even need a regrade before Heat 5.  The times got slower because there had been light rain during the first four races, but the riders didn’t look in trouble – Ben Barker raced from fourth to second in Heat 4 without any problems at all. 

It stopped raining after the completion of the fourth race, so you don’t need a crystal ball to tell you that it will then start to get faster – a bit of common sense would suffice.  To be fair to the referee, it was the quickest track inspection ever.  I think he went down to the pit gate, spoke to both captains, who told him it was fine and then went straight back up to the box.  Maybe it allowed John Campbell a couple of minutes to spend a penny or have a go on Rob G’s new Brum car.

Good meeting last night, with Heat 9 the pick of some tremendous racing. 

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Albert said:

Weather was fine leading up to meeting.... The odd rumble of thunder accompanied by a shower hit after heat 3, made the track a little wet for about four races. It wasn't too bad but John Campbell complained and wanted a halt in proceedings, bit of nonsense really,, his riders seemed okay with it...think he just wanted a breather.  Weather and track was fine for the rest of the meeting. 

Thanks for confirmation that I really should have attended.  Spoke to relatives living 25miles South West of Hull they said it heaved down for a few minutes, a few short showers then dried up, prob the band of rain that passed Scunny.  If I'd travelled from home I'd have chanced it as the track does seem to take the rain well and Scunny are well sorted with plant to prep the surface.  Oh well, still a few meets left....

when you watch that video it makes you wonder where the torrential thunder storm described in the match report was!!

or maybe the clown writing it didnt know meeting was being filmed.....

If that was John Campbell's idea of a wet track... makes one wonder how the hell the away meeting at Edinburgh on Friday even started...Did John complain then? No...  It was well over watered, far wetter than Scunny was at any point yesterday.