British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazysue

Isle of Wight v Oxford Select 1st August

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile phone number.

Thanks

Looks a well balanced meeting and hopefully will go some way to resurect Oxford speedway

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waco said:

Looks a well balanced meeting and hopefully will go some way to resurect Oxford speedway

Looks a side that shouldn't trouble IOW for the overall result but a few riders that can mix it up a bit. Tedham getting another invite after failing to arrive previously and having not ridden all year is an odd choice. However the main thing is raising the profile of Oxford Speedway and every small step helps.

W,ith moderate bottom ends to both teams i will be looking to see if Chris Widman can go to the tapes with a determined mind set ,that should bring a greatly improved performance that he is capable of ,,,Which would please me, having been highly critical of his racing lately....

4 minutes ago, waco said:

W,ith moderate bottom ends to both teams i will be looking to see if Chris Widman can go to the tapes with a determined mind set ,that should bring a greatly improved performance that he is capable of ,,,Which would please me, having been highly critical of his racing lately....

Likewise this is a great opportunity for Widman to prove he still is deserving of a team position. Its often hard to be critical of the IOW promotion but team building is one area that seems to lack compared to other sides and entering August this could have been a good chance to look at potential new riders rather than pack the tail end with ex Warriors that have been offering little or no progression.

4 hours ago, waco said:

Exactly. Would love Oxford back. Out of the Clubs no longer them and Coventry look the most likely to return. Should be a great night for you Speedway fans that go.

• Like 1

Comfortable win for IOW all round team performance,,Much improved from Widman all be it a little help from Ben when he won.Sincerly hope he can push on from this.and go on.the attack with his league performances....Chris your team needs you to keep that strong mind set..you can do the business........

Nice confidence booster for the Warriors but always should have been given the opposition. Stoneman & Coles were always going to be competitive but its no surprise that they both had a lay on the track also. Reserve battle was a non starter with out of form Sealey & non riding Tedham against the two regular riders it would have caused alarm if they didn't score well. That said i hope all the travelling Oxford fans enjoyed their night and seeing the Cheetahs back on track.

57 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Nice confidence booster for the Warriors but always should have been given the opposition. Stoneman & Coles were always going to be competitive but its no surprise that they both had a lay on the track also. Reserve battle was a non starter with out of form Sealey & non riding Tedham against the two regular riders it would have caused alarm if they didn't score well. That said i hope all the travelling Oxford fans enjoyed their night and seeing the Cheetahs back on track.

The ones I spoke to did; a very good evening. I've never seen Barry B so animated! Excellent atmosphere, a few decent races.

Probably the best promoting team in British speedway..If only the other promoters put as much effort in then possibly speedway could see a resurgence in this country.,.......well done again IOW..!,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would love to know what their secret is? they are an Island club and potential crowd base must be pretty limited, yet they are still able to run pretty much every week, often with the matches being fairly meaningless in the terms of what fans will support in modern day speedway, yet they not only remain viable, but are apparently flourishing.

IOW must be the only club left who still runs a fixture list that is comparable to a 1980s National League club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marko said:

I would love to know what their secret is? they are an Island club and potential crowd base must be pretty limited, yet they are still able to run pretty much every week, often with the matches being fairly meaningless in the terms of what fans will support in modern day speedway, yet they not only remain viable, but are apparently flourishing.

IOW must be the only club left who still runs a fixture list that is comparable to a 1980s National League club.

Kent kings are right up there with them. Uncle Len still runs speedway every week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marko said:

In such a holiday destination it makes perfect business sense to run weekly especially through the school hols..

They also seem to focus  on making the Speedway just one part of the overall nights entertainment package rather than the only thing  on offer..

You get out of it what you put in, in most things in life..

More power to the IOW's elbow..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, marko said:

I'd say that they set a standard and a blueprint for speedway clubs across the country. Their method is two fold  : massive customer care and financial responsibility.

Quite simply, they aim to give the paying customer and his family (and the latter is most important) the best night out they can so that he comes back again. Normal business practice, you might suggest - and you'd be right - but speedway has fallen disastrously down on that so many times.

Any travelling fan will tell you of the 'get what you are given and be grateful' and 'if you don't like it, don't come' attitudes that have prevailed in speedway. It is one of the principle reasons why the sport is on its knees.

Isle of Wight broke the mould. For a start, there is a concerted attempt to promote the existence of the club through show attendance, advertising and school and youth club demonstrations. Then there is the genuine care that they show on race nights, and innovation is paramount. Its little wonder that they have attracted almost universal credit and praise, culminating in a Speedway Star article by one of the sports most experienced and respected journalists.

I started banging the drum for Isle of Wight in 2016 and have had no reason to waver from that view. Ironically, it came about because I was critical.

Usual speedway club response to criticism is hostility and aggression, even abuse. To my amazement, I got an apology, a remedy and a wish that I would return. I was, to say the least, astonished and I know that I am not the only one who has had that reaction. 

Underpinning this remarkable degree of care is an equally robust financial policy. Huge effort is put into attracting sponsorship and sponsors and even the smallest are valued and appreciated. Rider pay and other expenses are carefully considered and weighed - no superstar pay here, but you get your money on time, every time. 

Barry Bishop and Martin Widman have done a fantastic job, and I can see signs that others are following suit. I was hugely impressed at Redcar the other week, for example.

On the other hand, lets look at Plymouth. Reportedly losing money hand over fist, criticism is subject to hostile denial and a refusal to accept that anything is amiss - even when opposition riders threaten not to ride. Loyal and long standing fans are barred from both the club forum and the track for questioning the promotion. They are now apparently subject to an SCB investigation. 

The contrast with the Warriors is a truly stark one.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I'd say that they set a standard and a blueprint for speedway clubs across the country. Their method is two fold  : massive customer care and financial responsibility.

Quite simply, they aim to give the paying customer and his family (and the latter is most important) the best night out they can so that he comes back again. Normal business practice, you might suggest - and you'd be right - but speedway has fallen disastrously down on that so many times.

Any travelling fan will tell you of the 'get what you are given and be grateful' and 'if you don't like it, don't come' attitudes that have prevailed in speedway. It is one of the principle reasons why the sport is on its knees.

Isle of Wight broke the mould. For a start, there is a concerted attempt to promote the existence of the club through show attendance, advertising and school and youth club demonstrations. Then there is the genuine care that they show on race nights, and innovation is paramount. Its little wonder that they have attracted almost universal credit and praise, culminating in a Speedway Star article by one of the sports most experienced and respected journalists.

I started banging the drum for Isle of Wight in 2016 and have had no reason to waver from that view. Ironically, it came about because I was critical.

Usual speedway club response to criticism is hostility and aggression, even abuse. To my amazement, I got an apology, a remedy and a wish that I would return. I was, to say the least, astonished and I know that I am not the only one who has had that reaction. 

Underpinning this remarkable degree of care is an equally robust financial policy. Huge effort is put into attracting sponsorship and sponsors and even the smallest are valued and appreciated. Rider pay and other expenses are carefully considered and weighed - no superstar pay here, but you get your money on time, every time. 

Barry Bishop and Martin Widman have done a fantastic job, and I can see signs that others are following suit. I was hugely impressed at Redcar the other week, for example.

On the other hand, lets look at Plymouth. Reportedly losing money hand over fist, criticism is subject to hostile denial and a refusal to accept that anything is amiss - even when opposition riders threaten not to ride. Loyal and long standing fans are barred from both the club forum and the track for questioning the promotion. They are now apparently subject to an SCB investigation. 

The contrast with the Warriors is a truly stark one.

I've run several retail businesses for over 30 years..

And the customer is always right..

Even when he or she is a complete and utter first class f***wit of the highest order!!!    :D

If they pay you money, then look after them and they will probably come back...

• Like 1