British Speedway Forum

There is an excellent interview with Richard Clarke of Speedway Star in the current edition of Backtrack magazine which includes concerns about sales in line with the general decline of speedway.
However I believe there may be a way of boosting interest.
Given that speedway fans spend almost as much time watching tractors circling the track as they do actually watching racing, wouldn't it be an idea for Speedway Star to merge with one the tractor magazines?  'Speedway Star & Tractor Weekly'. It has a ring to it.

This will bring added interest to the evening as Instead of whinging and complaining about the tractor breaks, fans would thumb through the mag and try and identify the tractor type and engage with fellow fans on the terrace.

Backtrack magazine could also engage with this idea with vintage features on the tractors we fondly remember going round and round in the 70’s and 80’s.
Naturally the mag would be renamed Backtractor.

Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

There is an excellent interview with Richard Clarke of Speedway Star in the current edition of Backtrack magazine which includes concerns about sales in line with the general decline of speedway.
Given that speedway fans spend almost as much time watching tractors circling the track as they do actually watching racing, wouldn't it be an idea for Speedway Star to merge with one the tractor magazines?  'Speedway Star & Tractor Weekly'. It has a ring to it.

This will bring added interest to the evening as Instead of whinging and complaining about the tractor breaks, fans would thumb through the mag and try and identify the tractor type and engage with fellow fans on the terrace.

Backtrack magazine could also engage with this idea with vintage features on the tractors we fondly remember going round and round in the 70’s and 80’s.

Just an idea.

Excellent idea. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Just an idea.

How about Shire horses pulling the grader, anything they drop could be left on the track to add interest.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, foamfence said:

How about Shire horses pulling the grader, anything they drop could be left on the track to add interest.

Hope the dirt deflectors work well if they do. 

• Haha 2

Speedway Star and Tractor Weekly certainly has a ring to it. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I hope Philip Rising doesn't see this thread, it could be bad for his health!

GONE for a lay down in a darken room ...

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GONE for a lay down in a darken room ...

Sure it isn't an upright?

• Haha 2

It could work for me because many years ago I was a huge tractor enthusiast but then lost interest and gave it all up.

It turned out to be beneficial though recently as I saved a lot of people when the room we were in filled with dense smoke.

Lucky for them I was an ex tractor fan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The magazine is brilliant as it is. I just hope it keeps going along with programmes forever. Getting the Star is part and parcel of my life. I get all angry if for any reason i have to wait until Friday to get mine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, foamfence said:

The detritus will hit the fans for sure.

Edited by waytogo28
correction
  • Haha 1

I know someone who used to work at Massey Ferguson in Coventry - I’m sure he’d do an article for the new magazine

Also, I have some photos of the Banner Lane factory which could be used

• Like 1

In the late 1950s-early 1960s several speedway magazines also covered stock car racing (ala short circuit car racing). Perhaps a resumption of that coverage could be of benefit to SPEEDWAY STAR?

Edited by Guest

I got into tractors by helping Glyn Taylor at Belle Vue with the track. I ended up with buying the Belle Vue Massey 35. There are plenty of tractor fans that would enjoy watching the tractors. My long suffering wife is now an extractor fan as I now have 5 tractors and a steam engine.

New idea:

Speedway Star and Tractor Weekly

incorporating Traction Engines

Got to be a winner.

Seriously, the Speedway Star, with no tractors, traction engines, gets better week by week. The editorial team are hitting their stride now. It's sharper, punchier, to the point, a super front cover every week...and again becoming a 'must read' print magazine. 

They understand the secret is to give your readers something you cannot read for free on the internet. 

Keep it up. It's the way forward.

• Like 3