British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

New idea:

Speedway Star and Tractor Weekly

incorporating Traction Engines

Got to be a winner.

Seriously, the Speedway Star, with no tractors, traction engines, gets better week by week. The editorial team are hitting their stride now. It's sharper, punchier, to the point, a super front cover every week...and again becoming a 'must read' print magazine. 

They understand the secret is to give your readers something you cannot read for free on the internet. 

Keep it up. It's the way forward.

Spot on..

The story behind the story is invariably always more interesting..

The tractor in the thatchers advert looks like one of leicesters lol

On 8/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, keepturningleft said:

There is an excellent interview with Richard Clarke of Speedway Star in the current edition of Backtrack magazine which includes concerns about sales in line with the general decline of speedway.
However I believe there may be a way of boosting interest.
Given that speedway fans spend almost as much time watching tractors circling the track as they do actually watching racing, wouldn't it be an idea for Speedway Star to merge with one the tractor magazines?  'Speedway Star & Tractor Weekly'. It has a ring to it.

This will bring added interest to the evening as Instead of whinging and complaining about the tractor breaks, fans would thumb through the mag and try and identify the tractor type and engage with fellow fans on the terrace.

Backtrack magazine could also engage with this idea with vintage features on the tractors we fondly remember going round and round in the 70’s and 80’s.
Naturally the mag would be renamed Backtractor.

Just an idea.

I wouldn't mind but this 'tractor racing' is very important to keep tracks safe imo if they have any dirt on them at all. If we want no tractors going round then let's concrete the tracks .... I think all promoters should get a full compliment of track rakers in again too who can drag the shale away from the airfences so riders don't get into difficult in the deep stuff near the fences that the tractors can't access ....

On 8/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, craigACE said:

The magazine is brilliant as it is. I just hope it keeps going along with programmes forever. Getting the Star is part and parcel of my life. I get all angry if for any reason i have to wait until Friday to get mine.

THANK you ...

• Like 1

At this point, I'll just interject and make it clear that my original post was not entirely meant to be taken seriously although I wouldn't mind, one day, seeing 'Speedway Star and Classic Water Bowser' on the news stand. 

I could suggest a merger with Stationary Engine Magazine.  But seriously while I mostly like the new look of Speedway Star, I'm still a subscriber, I am disappointed team maangers race times are no longer included in meeting results.  Example; Craig Cook in the recent SON, following the very unfortunate collision with team mate Robert Lambert, we alll expected we'd seen the last of Cook in this meeting.  But he bravely returned to action scoring a third, a second place and a heat win and it would have been interesting to see how his winning time corresponds to the other race winners.  In addition the Swindon track has been shortened this season and we have been informed 'winning times are falling' but not by how much.  Also when from time to time a replacement team manager is utilised, it might be useful to compare the stand-in to the regular TM.  Perhaps the meeting referee or time keeper could supply race times and team manager details for the official score chert....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

It's such a shame that those superb Jeff Davies covers every week are not face out on the W H Smith shelves anymore.

It's also bloody annoying when my postman delivers my copy, and the lovely pristine magazine and the superb cover has been screwed up/damaged en route! Any chance of stronger envelopes Philip -  sometimes the edges of the current ones arrive with the mag poking through almost!

PS - after his brilliant antics at the British Final last week, surely you have to do an in depth article on Mr Ayres!

Congrats to everybody who puts together such an excellent production every week. Long may it continue.

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

It's such a shame that those superb Jeff Davies covers every week are not face out on the W H Smith shelves anymore.

It's also bloody annoying when my postman delivers my copy, and the lovely pristine magazine and the superb cover has been screwed up/damaged en route! Any chance of stronger envelopes Philip -  sometimes the edges of the current ones arrive with the mag poking through almost!

PS - after his brilliant antics at the British Final last week, surely you have to do an in depth article on Mr Ayres!

Congrats to everybody who puts together such an excellent production every week. Long may it continue.

BUT they are on the shelves at Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, etc. Had we continued to pay WH Smith their 'ransom' money we might not be anywhere!

There will be changes to the manner in which subs copies are sent in October.

Ayres will feature in the future.

Thanks for your final comments.

• Like 1

in the winter months i would love more technical articles maybe following someone like peter johns at pjr to see whats needed to prep/repair engines i know this would appeal to everyone 

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT they are on the shelves at Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, etc. Had we continued to pay WH Smith their 'ransom' money we might not be anywhere!

No race times or TMs to be named then.  One Hull branch of WH Smiths closed, leaving the main branch in Hull City Centre and I think the smaller store in Hull Paragon Interchange (Hull Railway Station).  I was in the main branch the other week and one of the model railway magazines not only had shelf space but a wide cardboard banner above the level of the overall display, think it was the only publication with such a banner, guess it worked as I noticed it but can't but wonder how much it cost....

21 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

i think i have said some of this before but, I spent ages getting the Star from Tesco-Hindley. There was always the odd week in so many that they did not have it. So i would wait til i or 1 of my family were going into Leigh and get it from their Tesco. They are a tad unreliable too. This last number of weeks i have been getting it from what was a family business in Leigh called Cannings which merged into a WH Smiths. They have been brilliant at getting it so far. I NEVER miss a issue. In the past i have had to chase it. Mrs will not let me subscribe. In fact i am sure she has preferred it when i have had trouble getting it. Gives her more going shopping time. I have noticed whsmiths in Bolton and Wigan do not stock it.  Oh and the Asda near Bolton Wanderers stadium had loads of Stars when we went there.  Yes i have been on the lookout.

Edited by craigACE

4 minutes ago, craigACE said:

Asda near Bolton Wanderers stadium had loads of Stars when we went there.  Yes i have been on the lookout.

My wife gets mine at our local Asda with her weekly shop and has never let me down yet so I can recommend Asda :-)

• Like 1