British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

42 minutes ago, HenryW said:

There is always something going on at Eastbourne and always has been....I still have memories of visits there in the 80s and 90s where we came away infuriated at how things had gone down, usually with Bob Dugard at the centre of events. It's nice to hear that Martin is keeping the family tradition alive!

Spot on.

There were several all out brawls back in the day with Wolves... messrs Dugard, Barker and Norris usually at the centre of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

As I said before, it was Craig Cook who bears the responsibility. 

Shameful that he should ride his bike into a member of the track staff who was trying to protect other riders, officials and CHILDREN. 

The SCB must act.

We get it Richard still a pity you can't acknowledge what the neutrals and sensible Eastbourne fans are saying. You'll be on the side of those that thought Eric Cantona should have a lifetime ban or even longer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tellitasitis said:

Only way Craig Cooks future is precarious is if he lets off a fire extinguisher in a hotel 

that will be the fire extinquisher that saves lives in the event of a fire then . 

• Like 1

Craig Cook has very little between the ears. He feels the need to prove this on a fairly regular basis these days. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

And everyone else walks away scot free (see what I did there). How about announcer being fined. Jon Cook losing his licence, the track staff member ejected from the stadium given a life ban.

Get a grip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Just back after a thoroughly enjoyable night down there as a neutral.

Others have described the events well, and it was directly in front of us so we had a ringside seat of it all.  Cook pathetic frankly and should get a ban, although there were a few swings and a few kicks aimed by others.  I thought one of the boot swingers was Martin Dugard but it happened so quick it might have been someone else similarly dressed.

The comments made pre-meeting over the mic by Jon Cook, Dugard and the announcer wound things up definitely tho and i even said to the person i was with, that Craig Cook is unstable at the best of times and i forecast some kind of kick off with him at some point.  That some point was about a minute later tho which was a bit quicker than i figured tho.

No idea what went on with Cook and his 2 mins exclusion but instead of perhaps winning his first and shutting the crowd up for a bit, by the time he came out the meeting was pretty much gone. it was as if the whole team had lost their nerve and the tie was a dead duck very early really.  

Lovely day in general tho - fish and chips, ice cream, few lagers and the speedway all made for a good day out.

Kudos to the glasgow fans who travelled - and also very sane words from their promoter chap who spoke and spoke well after the meeting.

I was a neutral tonight and loved every minute of it tho.  

Funny you should mention Martin sugars as he got himself involved in the scrap that happened in the Edinburgh match also. Slammed one of the Edinburgh mechanics to the ground who was trying to pull them apart and then pinned him to the ground by the throat. 

Whilst a lot are laying the blame at Cook’s door, can anyone explain why an Eastbourne track staff member was ejected from the stadium? 

And also exactly what Peter Facenna said? 

8 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

What a load of tosh. What the Tigers management will have learned is what a good track preparation team they have, what a good professional announcer they have, what a good set of fans they have who applaud opposing riders for there efforts. The Tigers reputation is earned by the product they put on at Ashfield - riders, staff, volunteers and fans. The team have tried to entertain on there travels on a variety of tracks, surfaces and shapes. We lost tonight - most Glasgow fans predicted it including myself - so well done to the Eastbourne riders and I stress the riders. Reading various posts the promoter, track staff and announcer don't appear to be blameless and some of the eagles fans should be ashamed of themselves. 

Tonight the Tigers management also learned another approach to speedway as they were up against an old hand in the promotion game - he made sure that the track, the track staff and the fans got into Tigers riders heads. So the owners will have also learned who coped with the aggravation and intimidation and who didn't. They should now ensure that the riders be made aware that these things happen and other teams will produce crap tracks and all the other things that can influence a result  and learn to stay focussed and deal with it.

That’s it Glasgow are all about entertainment and not winning. Nonsense.

you prepare a surface to suit your own team, everyone does so to say that you don’t is again nonsense.

Ashfield isn’t exactly the friendliest of places, had a good few numpties looking for bother on the 4th bend and seen a good few hand gestures being made down the main stand. However every track has them. Never mind the heavy handed stewards these days either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

No idea. By the way how did the bandits do tonight hope that beat the pesky bears.

Those " pesky Bears", shattered Berwicks year long unbeaten home record.  UTB !! Sorry to disappoint you.

6 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Whilst a lot are laying the blame at Cook’s door, can anyone explain why an Eastbourne track staff member was ejected from the stadium? 

And also exactly what Peter Facenna said? 

Mr Facenna said sorry -- he said it on the PA system.

Not much doubt where the cause of the trouble was. He was there, saw it and apologised.

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Craig Cook should be shown the door by Glasgow...even if it means not winning the league.

Sport would be better without him

You really have a thing against Craig Cook, yes he was in the wrong and will surely pay a price for his actions. He is not the only rider to have lost the plot and acted as he did, but to say that sport would be better without him is nonsense. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dorothy58 said:

You really have a thing against Craig Cook, yes he was in the wrong and will surely pay a price for his actions. He is not the only rider to have lost the plot and acted as he did, but to say that sport would be better without him is nonsense. 

Wouldnt be a loss either... incredible arrogance from such an average rider. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Not much doubt where the cause of the trouble was. He was there, saw it and apologised.

You say not much doubt where the cause of the trouble was but the only person ejected from the stadium was a member of the Arlington track staff? 

3 hours ago, jenga said:

that will be the fire extinquisher that saves lives in the event of a fire then . 

That will be the one set off when there’s no fire 

*edited* I was referring to the sacking of Joe Lawlor when he set off a fire alarm  I said fire extinguisher in error

Edited by Tellitasitis
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I think you’ll find what Peter said was that emotions were clearly running high at the start of the meeting and that on behalf of his club, he apologised for whatever part Glasgow played in the incident. He didn’t apportion blame and it’s wrong to suggest he did.

It's Eastbourne, you are famous for noising up the opposition. Job done. 

Congratulations on making the Final. 

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 2