British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

8 hours ago, stevec said:

Just got home from the meeting.

Going to 'try' and put an unbiased veiw on the meeting. Yes, I am an Eastbourne fan but I like to think I am pretty pragmatic and not afrais to say if our riders are out of orsder or if the track is not up to standard

Got there tonight ready for a cracking meeting and feeling a little nervous despite only having a 4 point deficit. First thing I heard that there was issues was when the announcer said that the away team had complained about the track and did not want to ride it. There were several people down on turn 2 discussing and kicking dirt around so to speak.

Then Jon Cook was interveiwed, he was seriously annoyed and dismayed that the fotness of the track and been called into question and clearly put the blame on Craig Cook (and his mates). At this stage I has no ill feelings about Glasgow or Craig Cook. I am no expert and certainly, I am not one to judge if the track is rideable by veiwing it from turn 1, on the stock car track, which is where I stand.

That started to turn a bit when Martin Dugard explained that Jason and Alfi had been practising on the track that day. I must admit, I was less than impressed when we were told there would be a delay as the Glasgow riders had not yet changed. But still, no real drama.

It was on the rider parade that it all started going a bit sour. For those of you that dont know, the way it done at Eastbourne is, the bikes are wheeled on to the track, then the riders are paraded out to 'Sussex by the Sea' and then introduced one by one, the away team first. This all takes place on the back straight as thats where the main stand is. When both teams have been announced, the riders are pushed off and have a few practice starts and the opputunity to slide into the turns to get a feel for the track.

Tonight, after the Glasgow riders had been announced, some of them pushed off, before the Eastbourne team had been announced. They came down the straight and into turn . With people still on the track and the infield (including kids, who are the Eagles mascots)  the track staff held out red flags to stop the Glasgow riders. Craig Cook ran straight into one of the track staff and then kicked off at him. Ot then all kicked off with several people involved.

My lad went round the pits to see what was going on and saw people pleading with Craig to go and ride heat 1. He was refusing, talking about his injury and saying why should he ride an unsafe track!

So, heat 1 started without him.

As much as I feel he should be banned from the whole meeting, thats not what I want. I pay my money to see the likes of Bomber, Scotty and Craig Cook riding. I love them all, they are Brits and I support British riders through and through.

The track rode fine. Even the reserves in heat 2 looked comfortable and were not struggling, Yes, there were some fallers but certainly was not more than you can often get. Someone on the updates site said its unusual to see 3 falls in 9 heats, really? I have seen 3 in one heat at times, and not just at Arlington. And Ed Kennet did not fall. He tagged the air fence riding a high line, stayed on and carried on, the air fence started to deflate and the race stopped, thats why he was excluded.

Craig Cook, when he finally took to the track, rode it fine and looked classy and smooth. The races that he did not gate were the races of the night as he looked brilliant trying to make the pass.

It was a real shame that the controversy ruined the night as it was great for Eastbourne to go through but I feel Glasgow were just deflated after the whole thing, it was really meeting over after a few races. Could have been so much better if Craig Cook had popped out and won heat one.

I always think there are two sides to everything but the Glasgow manager having the guts to go on the mic and apologise afetr the meeting said it all and hats off to him for doing so.

Good report I was stood not far from you and would only add the following points:-

Kennett came out in heat one and rode this claimed 'unrideable track' in only .6 of a second slower than the fastest time this year, which was also over 1.0 second faster than when Cook won the equivalent heat during Glasgow's success in the league match in May. When Cook did come out and win  in heat five he was faster than that ride in May.  The races between Cook and  Kennet/Lawson were superb on this alleged bad track.

Only 3 Glasgow riders rode round during the introduction, being  lead by Cook were No,s 3 and 6 (Vissing and Bickley). The other three stayed where they were and were not involved in that particular incident.

Vissing's bike packed up on the start line when the two minute warning was on, by the time he got it started the time was up and he was not ready to race. when he saw the Yellow exclusion light he petulantly went full throttle through the tapes.  Hope the referee reports this and he gets fined.

So we won't expect to see Cookie at Berwick next week? 

A lot being said by a lot of people who weren’t there, I include my self in that.

A firmer and more experienced referee perhaps should have nipped this in the bud at track parade.

re announcer, no one was a bigger stirrer in his time than Michael Max ( stand in Tigers team manager) when he was on mike at Ashfield although he was one of the best when engaging with riders. 

I am a great fan of Cookie but if what many has said is true he has to take responsibility and take his punishment. It has been a very challenging few weeks since SON but there can be NO excuses for the alleged behaviour. Maybe needs to take a step back and take stock of things (this decision could obviously be made for him) If his wrist is causing him problems should have withdrawn from SON that weekend and immobilised the wrist for 8 to 10 days which seems to be the treatment for a broken carpal bone.

Great rider when in the blue n gold. So sad to see this.

• Like 1

I was witness to the criag cook factor at Ipswich last season. No over heated fisty Cuffs that night as he got his way &, the meeting was called off. Same scenario though Glasgow riders not changed and a conference on the track.

He really is getting far to big for his boots. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stevec said:

That wasnit the only race that happened either. Its a rule at Arlo that bikes cannot be ridden through the pits and they have to dismount before heading through

Think thats the rule at every British track, i have seen plenty of people riding both in and out of the pits. Is the no mobile phones in the pits rule still in force ? As thats another one thats constantly ignored.

Think unfortunately it just shows the difference between a rider who thinks he's world class and a truly world class rider. Back in the day when Eastie were in the Elite league when it was such, never remember the likes of Rickardson, Adams etc at worst commenting that the track was anything thing else than a bit tricky, just got on with it. Pedersen rode there for 4 years and even Jason Crump never complained which was unusual for him! Can't believe track prep is dramatically difrerent , just a different class of rider and sportsmanship, unfortunately seems a different era now.

• Like 1

Too many riders moaning about track conditions nowadays ,the fans are getting fed up with these delays.Tracks can be different, the riders just need to adapt.Unless it’s dry and as slick as a Motorway the riders don’t want to know.The fans are voting with their feet nowadays.

• Like 2

Many on here wanting Cookie hung drawn and quartered give it a rest man , as everyone knows there are two sides to every story , now i am not saying Craig is blameless but from what i hear him and others were provocated , our owner apologising is the act of a professional man in everything he does i am sure he will gather all information and act appropriately .

I am sure a full statement will be released accounting ALL of the events of last night , not just what some only want to see or hear. 

• Like 2

good job Rory was not there ! :icon_smile_clown:......  congratulations to Eastbourne again on a job well done .  Glasgow beaten after the home leg .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Many on here wanting Cookie hung drawn and quartered give it a rest man , as everyone knows there are two sides to every story , now i am not saying Craig is blameless but from what i hear him and others were provocated , our owner apologising is the act of a professional man in everything he does i am sure he will gather all information and act appropriately .

I am sure a full statement will be released accounting ALL of the events of last night , not just what some only want to see or hear. 

did a lot of home, neutral  and away fans see the so called head butt and the running down of one of the staff or are they ALL making it up . it needs to be cleared up .s.a.p.    

I was there last night and I've read all the comments on here, most being pretty accurate.  I was in the stadium from 6pm and the only thing wrong with the track was, as Jon Cooke said, all the holes dug in it by the Glasgow riders, which I was witness too. I was watching from the back straight and it was obvious to me and others that Glasgow were going to make a fuss, but that said I didn't see Craig Cook fall off or have any problems riding the track he was complaining about. The referee said the track was fine for racing and that should have been the end of the matter, unfortunately it wasn't. I've only been supporting Eagles this year since losing my local teams (my original team West Ham years ago and then Rye House). Not since West Ham have I actually felt I really supported a team, Eastbourne management and the announcer make us fans feel really a part of the club. I've never booed an opposing team until last night but after the antics I saw Glasgow deserved the boos they got but good on their owner at the end of the meeting apologising for the antics, I hope he throws the book at Craig Cook. Re our announcer, it seems to me he, like all the fans, supports Eastbourne and good on him.  Over the last few meetings he's managed to increase the use of air horns and now there is a really good atmosphere, isn't that why we go speedway to have a good night out not sit in silence like a load of zombies, and us home fans always usually applause good rides even by away riders last night being the exception. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jenga said:

did a lot of home, neutral  and away fans see the so called head butt and the running down of one of the staff or are they ALL making it up . it needs to be cleared up .s.a.p.    

Read  my post again (now i am not saying Craig is blameless)  is what i said but apparently there was a lot more than what Craig done going on also not that i condone what Craig done in any way.

2 minutes ago, jenga said:

Yes, it did happen, i saw it as did everyone else in the stadium.

• Thanks 1

I was standing next to the 20 or so Glasgow fans that were present when the primary incident happened. They were pretty unanimous about who was at fault, and were scathing about Cook(Craig)

Yes there were some other people whose who acted inappropriately (Newman when excluded for MBA's fall, the announcer for ramping up the atmosphere, Vissing's petulant tape antics, and one or two Eastbourne track staff who appeared to be more interested in joining in the fight than stopping it).

BUT It was Craig Cook who did practice starts while the parade was still underway (with small children on the track) and it was Craig Cook who rode at and then assaulted a track staff member (who was very clearly displaying a red flag).

[ And for the record: number of times Ed Kennett fell off last night- zero.]

Edited by arnieg
  • Thanks 1

Times would suggest the track was fine, i knew pre meeting vissing would be rammel, he just cant ride small tracks.

Well done to eastbourne, glasgow have been very busy of late, that may have taken its toll but its no excuse for craig cooks actions. A wizened refereee would have slung him out before racing for his actions