British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Sounds time as though the Glasgow boys were wound up before the incident, there was obviously some shennagins before the parade and what exactly was said by Jon Cook and Martin Dugard? I can just imagine ..... tempers were clearly frayed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I was witness to the criag cook factor at Ipswich last season. No over heated fisty Cuffs that night as he got his way &, the meeting was called off. Same scenario though Glasgow riders not changed and a conference on the track.

He really is getting far to big for his boots. 

Don't forget the Edinburgh meeting when he kicked off at Ben Barker and got thrown out of the meeting by Dan holt,  miss his refereeing big time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

I love these threads.

Elsewhere we keep being told there are no characters in the sport, how great it used to be with controversy, riders throwing punches, brawls and more..

Yet as soon as anything happens everyone is up in arms.

sorry , i will ask you one question .have YOU  ever been head butted by anyone wearing a crash helmet , they are pretty hard . they aint made of play doh .plus the peak could cause life changing injuries . if its fighting you want , get yourself down town and see what its like . then you can become the  town character  . 

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

But apparently the only person kicked out the stadium was a member of the track staff. Nobody wants to elaborate on that point though! 

who was that then ? i take it you witnessed the person being ejected ....

you need to tell us more of your hear/see say . its just more spiel . but please put all the facts down so we can read them .

Edited by jenga

So with the SCB's Neil Vatcher present at the track and the 'pre-meeting incidents' apparently reported to him by the ref, I would expect that the SCB will call a hearing for all sides to put their case and then any punishment will be dished out thereafter. Hopefully it won't be before the Stars take on the Witches on Monday as they are already without Robert Lambert.

ps. Any reason why the Glasgow website appears to be down?

Edited by Skidder1

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So with the SCB's Neil Vatcher present at the track and the 'pre-meeting incidents' apparently reported to him by the ref, I would expect that the SCB will call a hearing for all sides to put their case and then any punishment will be dished out thereafter. Hopefully it won't be before the Stars take on the Witches on Monday as they are already without Robert Lambert.

glasgowtigers.org

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Its just the link between SpeedwayGB and  their site. Search via Google and its up and running.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MD said:

glasgowtigers.org

Cheers - the link from the BSPA site doesn't seem to be working....  I always tend to use that link first as I always check the BSPA site before going to any individual club website!!

Edited by Skidder1

45 minutes ago, jenga said:

who was that then ? i take it you witnessed the person being ejected ....

you need to tell us more of your hear/see say . its just more spiel . but please put all the facts down so we can read them .

Not spiel it was said by someone at the match on one of various threads. You clearly aren't busy so will let you troll the various fora and Facebook pages 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I love these threads.

Elsewhere we keep being told there are no characters in the sport, how great it used to be with controversy, riders throwing punches, brawls and more..

Yet as soon as anything happens everyone is up in arms.

Absolutely, have chatted to my in laws and then parents about these goings on this morning and both said how in the seventies it happened pretty much every week. I’m not saying that there wasn’t stuff last night which might have crossed the line but you almost feel like there are people around the forum and social media who are champing at the bit for the first opportunity to be outraged by something. 

• Like 5

I attended this match purely as a neutral. It was only my second visit to Eastbourne so i can't say whether the track was particularly different from usual. I can however say that I have seen many many meetings ridden on far more difficult surfaces. I was as surprised as everyone else when it was announced that the Glasgow riders didn't want to ride on it at the start. We waited while some track work was carried out.

What followed was a sequence of utterly stupid actions. Jon Cook made a few snide remarks designed to whip the crowd up against the visitors.They took the bait and began booing the Tigers riders on the parade. Then Craig Cook decided he wasn't going to wait for the Eagles to be introduced and set off round the track, followed by a couple of colleagues. There WERE very small children present as part of the parade so track staff put out the red flags to get the two or three visiting riders to stop. Craig Cook decided to ride AT one of those holding a red flag. There was a reaction and then Cook clearly threw a head butt. A brawl ensued just yards from the small kids. When the racing finally started, Cook was still too busy have a hissy fit to ride in heat 1.

It is true that the comments from Eastbourne staff were not helpful, and no doubt were designed to wind up Craig Cook in particular. So what? He's a professional sportsman. His actions were ridiculous. He definitely instigated the fighting. Again, I do not absolve those who retaliated from all blame, but there would not have been a fight if Craig Cook could control himself. Had this happened in a town centre he would have been arrested and rightly so. 

Mr Facena was man enough to apologize at the end of the meeting, and fair play to him for that. I'd be disapointed if he took no further action against Craig Cook. Cook let himself, his team and his fans down very badly. He was an utter disgrace. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I attended this match purely as a neutral. It was only my second visit to Eastbourne so i can't say whether the track was particularly different from usual. I can however say that I have seen many many meetings ridden on far more difficult surfaces. I was as surprised as everyone else when it was announced that the Glasgow riders didn't want to ride on it at the start. We waited while some track work was carried out.

What followed was a sequence of utterly stupid actions. Jon Cook made a few snide remarks designed to whip the crowd up against the visitors.They took the bait and began booing the Tigers riders on the parade. Then Craig Cook decided he wasn't going to wait for the Eagles to be introduced and set off round the track, followed by a couple of colleagues. There WERE very small children present as part of the parade so track staff put out the red flags to get the two or three visiting riders to stop. Craig Cook decided to ride AT one of those holding a red flag. There was a reaction and then Cook clearly threw a head butt. A brawl ensued just yards from the small kids. When the racing finally started, Cook was still too busy have a hissy fit to ride in heat 1.

It is true that the comments from Eastbourne staff were not helpful, and no doubt were designed to wind up Craig Cook in particular. So what? He's a professional sportsman. His actions were ridiculous. He definitely instigated the fighting. Again, I do not absolve those who retaliated from all blame, but there would not have been a fight if Craig Cook could control himself. Had this happened in a town centre he would have been arrested and rightly so. 

Mr Facena was man enough to apologize at the end of the meeting, and fair play to him for that. I'd be disapointed if he took no further action against Craig Cook. Cook let himself, his team and his fans down very badly. He was an utter disgrace. 

It would seem there was two many Cooks there last night. Jon is very stupid at times and not always fit to be a  Promoter IMO, whilst Cook gets involved in too many altercations at tracks, including my own track when a couple of years ago he deemed the pits gate helpers didn't get the pit gate fence open as quick as he wanted. Difficult combo him and his Dad. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Moleman27 said:

You may not have a choice, can see a 28day ban from riding at least for Cook. Running into a marshal on the bike and then going to try headbutt him with his Helmut still on.

Helmet on or of, it just shows he is a head case and should be thrown out of any future Team GB plans. Absolute waste of space and any club worth their salt would show him the door.

7 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Craig Cook has very little between the ears. He feels the need to prove this on a fairly regular basis these days. 

Sadly, he has nothing between the ears and what’s more he can’t ride a speedway bike..

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, mmmmethanol said:

There were half a dozen on bend 2 & hats off to them for making the trip.

I think some have made a weekly break of it as it was posted that after being at Scunthorpe last Sunday, they were going to Manchester Monday(British Final) then down to Somerset(CL Wednesday) so just probably stayed in the area.