British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Jon Cook has always been a slimy wide boy, and Craig Cook has always had some screws loose. Let's face it, sane people don't go for a drive whilst naked and drunk...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

I was there last night and I've read all the comments on here, most being pretty accurate.  I was in the stadium from 6pm and the only thing wrong with the track was, as Jon Cooke said, all the holes dug in it by the Glasgow riders, which I was witness too. I was watching from the back straight and it was obvious to me and others that Glasgow were going to make a fuss, but that said I didn't see Craig Cook fall off or have any problems riding the track he was complaining about. The referee said the track was fine for racing and that should have been the end of the matter, unfortunately it wasn't. I've only been supporting Eagles this year since losing my local teams (my original team West Ham years ago and then Rye House). Not since West Ham have I actually felt I really supported a team, Eastbourne management and the announcer make us fans feel really a part of the club. I've never booed an opposing team until last night but after the antics I saw Glasgow deserved the boos they got but good on their owner at the end of the meeting apologising for the antics, I hope he throws the book at Craig Cook. Re our announcer, it seems to me he, like all the fans, supports Eastbourne and good on him.  Over the last few meetings he's managed to increase the use of air horns and now there is a really good atmosphere, isn't that why we go speedway to have a good night out not sit in silence like a load of zombies, and us home fans always usually applause good rides even by away riders last night being the exception. 

Seems like Cook goes around the country digging holes. He was at Poole a couple of weeks ago doing the same thing with Robert Lambert! The latter would do well to distance himself from the former.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aviator said:

Seems like Cook goes around the country digging holes. He was at Poole a couple of weeks ago doing the same thing with Robert Lambert! The latter would do well to distance himself from the former.

Sounds like you’re a big fan :t:

6 minutes ago, Aviator said:

I was there that night and the third bend had a huge hole in it as well as bumps on bends 1/2, not what you'd expect from an alleged top level speedway venue. Lambert put it on Twitter before the meeting had even started.

6 minutes ago, MD said:

I was there that night and the third bend had a huge hole in it as well as bumps on bends 1/2, not what you'd expect from an alleged top level speedway venue. Lambert put it on Twitter before the meeting had even started.

Don't let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to have a dig .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD said:

It was corrected before the meeting started so was of little relevance. The real issue is, that I would hate to see one of our more talented rising stars infected by the likes of Craig Cook and his less than sportsmanlike behaviours. Hopefully the Chairman of the BSPA who is one of his employers has already posted his P45.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Sounds time as though the Glasgow boys were wound up before the incident, there was obviously some shennagins before the parade and what exactly was said by Jon Cook and Martin Dugard? I can just imagine ..... tempers were clearly frayed!

Exactly - can't remember..  but it was wind-up material definitely..  "moaning about the track by supposed gp riders"   "riders with same surnames as me moaning about a perfectly good track" etc..  Was put across in a lighthearted that got plenty of laughs in the crowd, but very clearly aimed at winding him up. 

46 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I attended this match purely as a neutral. It was only my second visit to Eastbourne so i can't say whether the track was particularly different from usual. I can however say that I have seen many many meetings ridden on far more difficult surfaces. I was as surprised as everyone else when it was announced that the Glasgow riders didn't want to ride on it at the start. We waited while some track work was carried out.

What followed was a sequence of utterly stupid actions. Jon Cook made a few snide remarks designed to whip the crowd up against the visitors.They took the bait and began booing the Tigers riders on the parade. Then Craig Cook decided he wasn't going to wait for the Eagles to be introduced and set off round the track, followed by a couple of colleagues. There WERE very small children present as part of the parade so track staff put out the red flags to get the two or three visiting riders to stop. Craig Cook decided to ride AT one of those holding a red flag. There was a reaction and then Cook clearly threw a head butt. A brawl ensued just yards from the small kids. When the racing finally started, Cook was still too busy have a hissy fit to ride in heat 1.

It is true that the comments from Eastbourne staff were not helpful, and no doubt were designed to wind up Craig Cook in particular. So what? He's a professional sportsman. His actions were ridiculous. He definitely instigated the fighting. Again, I do not absolve those who retaliated from all blame, but there would not have been a fight if Craig Cook could control himself. Had this happened in a town centre he would have been arrested and rightly so. 

Mr Facena was man enough to apologize at the end of the meeting, and fair play to him for that. I'd be disapointed if he took no further action against Craig Cook. Cook let himself, his team and his fans down very badly. He was an utter disgrace. 

A well written version of my efforts last nite.  I too was there as a neutral.  In isolation, it was all a bit pantomime with people piling in from all corners and plenty of kicks and things flying around.  But there was still absolutely shedloads of people, young and old close-by and what he did was reckless to say the least, even before the headbutt etc. 

No idea where the rumour about track staff being ejected comes from.  The rumble was right in front of me and the pits just to the side of me and i cant say i saw anything like ejections happening, nor any talk of it. 

I'd be fuming if i had traipsed down from Glasgow to see all that tho - he basically cost them the tie with his petulance and the antics by Vissing winding himself into a frenzy over pretty much nothing was embarrassing.  

Oh and i'm sure i saw a message about Eddie Kennett falling being used as a comment against the track - he didn't fall.  He went wide and clipped the air fence and burst a section from what i could see.  That's what caused the race to be stopped a lap later. 

5 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Think thats the rule at every British track, i have seen plenty of people riding both in and out of the pits. Is the no mobile phones in the pits rule still in force ? As thats another one thats constantly ignored.

That is what I find strange as you are not supposed to ride into the pits after a race but is ok to ride from the pit area, to the gate & onto the track.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Exactly - can't remember..  but it was wind-up material definitely..  "moaning about the track by supposed gp riders"   "riders with same surnames as me moaning about a perfectly good track" etc..  Was put across in a lighthearted that got plenty of laughs in the crowd, but very clearly aimed at winding him up. 

A well written version of my efforts last nite.  I too was there as a neutral.  In isolation, it was all a bit pantomime with people piling in from all corners and plenty of kicks and things flying around.  But there was still absolutely shedloads of people, young and old close-by and what he did was reckless to say the least, even before the headbutt etc. 

No idea where the rumour about track staff being ejected comes from.  The rumble was right in front of me and the pits just to the side of me and i cant say i saw anything like ejections happening, nor any talk of it. 

I'd be fuming if i had traipsed down from Glasgow to see all that tho - he basically cost them the tie with his petulance and the antics by Vissing winding himself into a frenzy over pretty much nothing was embarrassing.  

Oh and i'm sure i saw a message about Eddie Kennett falling being used as a comment against the track - he didn't fall.  He went wide and clipped the air fence and burst a section from what i could see.  That's what caused the race to be stopped a lap later. 

you will find its the regular glasgow triplets  :icon_smile_clown: , :mad: ,  B),

that are making things up, ejections and stuff .  typical spiel from all concerned with glasgow speedway . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Solidmango said:

But apparently the only person kicked out the stadium was a member of the track staff. Nobody wants to elaborate on that point though! 

Except you ;)

• Like 3

Great thread for what sounded like some entertaining events. I particularly like the current moral high ground that the “sport doesn’t need this sort of thing”. I would say these events engage and invigorate the fans. It creates an atmosphere at the track, this atmosphere is what riders should revel in. As for the people saying “there were children there”, have you seen what kids watch on YouTube and see in computer games? A fist fight/stramash is absolutely nothing to them. Children are maturing at an unbelievable rate, seeing and experiencing things a lot younger than when we grew up. People still talk about Lee Dicken chasing Pepe at Ashfield or on a slightly higher level, Boyce punching Gollob The world is going far to soft/PC.

Lots of people on slaughtering Craig Cook here. I unfortunately wasn’t there. I have a couple of questions to those that were there.

1) Did Craig aim to run into a member of the track staff or was the member of track staff on the track?  Surely his job is to wave a red flag in front of the rider and not encroach on the track?

2) What caused Claus to engage with the fans(I read this on the updates)?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nagy1 said:

1) Did Craig aim to run into a member of the track staff or was the member of track staff on the track?  Surely his job is to wave a red flag in front of the rider and not encroach on the track?

2) What caused Claus to engage with the fans(I read this on the updates)?

1 - Cook was riding on the track when he shouldn't have been, so its not quite as black and white as that.  The flag guy was on the track stopping the riders from going before the introductions were completed but Cook and the other 2 started up and rode out regardless.  So flag man didn't encroach as he was already there.  Cook if anything encroached onto the track before allowed to do so. 

2 - Vissing had a hissy fit as he pulled his cut-out out at the tapes and couldn't get re-started in time before the 2mins was up.  He then went thru the tapes and was in semi heated discussion with Dugard who was removing the busted tapes from around the bike by the pits.  I guess he perhaps got a few verbals from the crowd on back straight and couldn't deal with them. 

life in the most precious thing on earth . how would you like to be driven at speed on a bike with no brakes . craig aimed for this person with the RED flag and then swung his head , complete with helmet and sharp visor at the track guys head . (going by the updates site ) maybe kids are maturing/growing up quicker , i see you have not reached that level of maturity yet . .

i would say you are 45 , with the maturity of a 5 yr old . some parents shield their kids from stuff like this and here you are saying its ok . 

looks like the triplets have another member to add to their squad . whats your name going to be ball bagg . yea , that will do . 

grow up and get out of the glasgow cult way of thinking .

i hope the poor guy concerned takes cook to court for assault with a deadly weapon .

Edited by jenga

I believe a few forum members were in the visiting Glasgow fans last night near us by the pits - if they were, the whole incident was directly in front of them. 

I'm sure once they are back home we may see a balanced view, or i hope so anyway.

I doubt that the kids were especially traumatised by the events, but that isn't the point. The point was their physical safety could have been endangered. As for Craig Cook, I wouldn't be half so harsh with him if it had just been a bust up between two riders in the heat of battle. It wasn't. He assaulted a member of track staff and started a brawl. That's what I find unacceptable. 

• Like 2