British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

I've already posted my version of events. People (mostly those who weren't there) can put whatever slant they want on things, but wether provoked or not Cook head butted a track official. (And I don't mean placed his helmet against anothers' forehead, as per those football prima donnas).  

Sadly, that's the bottom line. Due to one stupid action, speedway as a whole lost out on Saturday night.

The races involving Cook were great. After one where Kennett beat him,  before exiting the track, Kennett offered his hand. After what looked like an interesting conversation Cook returned the compliment. He also appeared in Ht 15.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

While this incident may be blown out of proportion,Cook might be wary of these kind of actions in future,for though he has “ cult status at Ashfield” don’t think the Promotion will like  this kind of attention brought upon them and having to apologise in public.There are plenty more big fish in the sea. .Dont think they are the type of people to apologise if they though there was nothing to it.

so there is a cult situation at glasgow then ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Think u got one "letter'' wrong their jenga, ( its a joke) .

i will edit it just for you . 

I see hawd it and dawd it above attempting humour badly , I blame the schools.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On the one hand if Craig Cook has a case to answer and deserves to be charged then I hope that happens asap, not least to put this episode to bed. On the other there`s no such thing as bad publicity, its just a pity Glasgow have already been to Eastbourne in the league as if they hadn't I`d be arranging the fixture for asap as Arlington would be busting to see a return of Glasgow and Craig Cook.

17 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Hold on a sec mate, who else is pushing riders off these days ?  Certainly not randoms doing it off their own back is it ?  And what hell relevance is that anyway.  I've never seen a rider pushed off without wanting to be, have you ?

I get that you're defending all this madness, and i couldn't give two tosses about Eastbourne or Glasgow myself, but desperately trying to deflect things is bonkers. 

edited as it was a tad aggressive: but my point still stands, they aren't pushed off under duress, so even if it was a raker, what difference does it make ?

When I was helping a rider in the pits (admittedly quite a few years ago), ALL pushers were provided by the home promotion, so that is quite a valid question. i.e. Were the Glasgow riders pushed off by Eastbourne staff? If so they should have known better than to push them off early. I don't know if that is still the case though. 

The only other comment I would make is that it is quite possible, or even probable, that the referee issued on the spot  fines to certain individuals involved, as well as putting it in his report for further action if necessary. Such fines are not always relayed to the crowd, if the ref requests it, as it is often the case that members of the crowd collect and pay it thus nullifying its effect.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, leander said:

When I was helping a rider in the pits (admittedly quite a few years ago), ALL pushers were provided by the home promotion, so that is quite a valid question. i.e. Were the Glasgow riders pushed off by Eastbourne staff? If so they should have known better than to push them off early. I don't know if that is still the case though. 

The only other comment I would make is that it is quite possible, or even probable, that the referee issued on the spot  fines to certain individuals involved, as well as putting it in his report for further action if necessary. Such fines are not always relayed to the crowd, if the ref requests it, as it is often the case that members of the crowd collect and pay it thus nullifying its effect.

In my experience the ‘pusher’ role no longer exists - riders are pushed off by their own mechanic. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

In my experience the ‘pusher’ role no longer exists - riders are pushed off by their own mechanic. 

That's what happens at Eastbourne. Mechanics do the pushing -- not sure when the role of "pusher" disappeared but I think it is totally gone from UK speedway.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

That's what happens at Eastbourne. Mechanics do the pushing -- not sure when the role of "pusher" disappeared but I think it is totally gone from UK speedway.

i think the police are on the case .. they dont like pushers , or should i say competition  !

as a foot note . i do believe the rider gives the ok to get pushed off to his mechanic just before the parade lap . so who gave the order to craigs mechanic to push him off ? err  . that would be the rider himself . 

should have known better . wasnt he complaining that his broken wrist was hurting in the pit prior to heat 1 ?

Edited by jenga

59 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

aye changed days from when I was a lad lol. Used to be pushers, and an army of track rakers, doesn't seem to happen much now

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Normski said:

aye changed days from when I was a lad lol. Used to be pushers, and an army of track rakers, doesn't seem to happen much now

all the track rakers went to the moon  , the are now called moon rakers !

22 minutes ago, Normski said:

Think we know why there are no track rakers now.Looking for dirt to rake is full time job now:P

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Correct. Used to have four pushers at Newcastle. Then a few years ago they were asked to do extra duties after the racing and as far as I'm aware they did not agree with this and stopped being pushers. Also not sure if they actually still go to Newcastle or not. I know for certain one of these lads never returned. Mechanics push their individual rider off now.

Video of the Cook incident.  I don't think he did ride into the Marshall, who seemed to move into his path as Cook tried to avoid him. Reading posts seemed like he aimed for him. Also don't see a headbutt more a shoulder barge (can see him dip shoulder to push him with it) but with the helmet peak that sticks out it was a stupid move.  

I don't condone his actions and he should never had been on track for this incident to happen.  Some sort of fine/ban should still be in place for his actions leading to the 'brawl'.

This is only my opinion from watching the short video.