British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

1 hour ago, Cj69 said:

Video of the Cook incident.  I don't think he did ride into the Marshall, who seemed to move into his path as Cook tried to avoid him. Reading posts seemed like he aimed for him. Also don't see a headbutt more a shoulder barge (can see him dip shoulder to push him with it) but with the helmet peak that sticks out it was a stupid move.  

I don't condone his actions and he should never had been on track for this incident to happen.  Some sort of fine/ban should still be in place for his actions leading to the 'brawl'.

This is only my opinion from watching the short video. 

So to summarise:

Cook does not deliberately ride into start marshal. Indeed the start marshal walks into him.

Cook does not head butt the start marshal, he shoulder charges him. Likely being more than a little pissed with the fella who just walked right in front of him. Rightly so.

Cook does very little wrong. The start most certainly does. 

If anyone takes a ban here, it’s that sausage with the red flag.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, stevec said:

You need to fully understand the situation.

First, I agree that Cook didnt deliberatly ride into the marshall. The marshall steps to the left as Cook goes to the right but the important thing is, the riders needed to be stopped. They should not have been riding round the track at the time. Lots of people are having a dig at the marshall but this was an unusual situation. The parade and announcements were going on, Eastbourne team being introduced and guests including children in the area. The Marshall just wanted to stop the bikes going round. The red lights were also on.

I have met this marshall a couple of times and he is one of the most placid young lads you will come across. You can tell that by the way he walks away from the confrontation with Cook rather than retaliating

Doesn't look like any red lights on, but granted they might be hard to see.

1 minute ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Anyone else think it a bit strange that all this was being filmed by someone standing near the scene of the incident by someone standing on the track?

This whole scenarios a bit strange. From earlier reports riders are at high speed, ramming into marshalls,close to kids, putting everyone at risk when it appears they are trundling round when a Marshall makes a split second decision, probably well intentioned, that backfires big style. Wish every meeting was like this, get the crowds back big style.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stevec said:

Trust me, he most likely was not.

Like many on here I like Craig Cook and was looking forwards to seeing him ride. I completly understand that people want to defend him, if this happened elsewhere and say Ed Kennet was involved, I would also want to defend him.

BUT as I keep saying to people and everyone seems to either not read all the posts or chose to ignore you must understand the whole thing.

Parage was still ongoing

Bike were not meant to be riden round the track at this time, they should have been stationary will both teams were introduced

The marshall had to react to something that he would not expect to happen. I track full of riders, personel and guests including kids just a little behind him and riders on bikes coming round towards him. I dont think either Craig nor the Marshall wanted a collision but the marshall did what he thought he needed to do to stop him from carrying on round the track, whih is likely to have been what his intention could have been.

Well let's just hope that the guy doesn't try and stop a bus with his umbrella.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stevec said:

Trust me, he most likely was not.

Like many on here I like Craig Cook and was looking forwards to seeing him ride. I completly understand that people want to defend him, if this happened elsewhere and say Ed Kennet was involved, I would also want to defend him.

BUT as I keep saying to people and everyone seems to either not read all the posts or chose to ignore you must understand the whole thing.

Parage was still ongoing

Bike were not meant to be riden round the track at this time, they should have been stationary will both teams were introduced

The marshall had to react to something that he would not expect to happen. I track full of riders, personel and guests including kids just a little behind him and riders on bikes coming round towards him. I dont think either Craig nor the Marshall wanted a collision but the marshall did what he thought he needed to do to stop him from carrying on round the track, whih is likely to have been what his intention could have been.

I most certainly won't trust you as what you have reported has been shown to be inaccurate.

Cook was riding directly towards the pit gate. He did not 'aim' at a marshal, nor did he throw a headbutt as has been claimed on here.

We all know they shouldn't have been riding. The marshall didn't need to do anything other than show the red flag to indicate the rider to leave the track or stop. He did that. Cook was leaving the track, the marshal instigated what came next by stupidly stepping in front of him which could have caused injury to both parties and damage to machinery.

Cook was in the wrong initially, the marshal escalated the situation with stupidity.

It's not a debate anymore, it's clear to see for everyone.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Anyone else think it a bit strange that all this was being filmed by someone standing near the scene of the incident by someone standing on the track?

It's the way of the world now, if a guy collapsed on the floor having a heart attack the likelihood is someone would whip out his phone and film it

5 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

It's the way of the world now, if a guy collapsed on the floor having a heart attack the likelihood is someone would whip out his phone and film it

Of course, to see how many hits it gets on YouTube.

i think the video shows the weakness of the sport . we were led to believe that craig headed for the marshal , but in reality the marshal  took what he thought was the correct  decision and was acting on the refs red lights . speedway bikes only turn left with ease because of the footrest . 

the head butt , WAS NOT that, more like a shoulder barge . looking from another angle it could have looked like a head butt . echo the sharp peak comments from other posters . 

i do think craig was wrong to get pushed off halfway through the parade . he has been there before  and should have waited until it was safe to enter the track .(after the introductions had finished ) as it says on all motorsport activities . motorsport is dangerous . 

man V machine  . no winners there then . speedway loses again and glasgow can only look back on what could have been . 

we are still learning after all this time .

5 minutes ago, jenga said:

i think the video shows the weakness of the sport . we were led to believe that craig headed for the marshal , but in reality the marshal  took what he thought was the correct  decision and was acting on the refs red lights . speedway bikes only turn left with ease because of the footrest . 

the head butt , WAS NOT that, more like a shoulder barge . looking from another angle it could have looked like a head butt . echo the sharp peak comments from other posters . 

i do think craig was wrong to get pushed off halfway through the parade . he has been there before  and should have waited until it was safe to enter the track .(after the introductions had finished ) as it says on all motorsport activities . motorsport is dangerous . 

man V machine  . no winners there then . speedway loses again and glasgow can only look back on what could have been . 

we are still learning after all this time .

So are you saying cook needs to work on his 'glasgow kiss' 

Very interesting footage. People very prompt to slaughter Craig, even when they weren’t there and now this video proves that Craig was goaded into a reaction by a moron whose intelligence can only be compared to someone with a forum name similar to a popular 90’s game.

As for the other Cumbrian thinking this video proves Craig guilt, wow. The tinted specs are strong with you.Hopefully the high horses can be dismounted from. 

Handbags at dawn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nagy1 said:

Very interesting footage. People very prompt to slaughter Craig, even when they weren’t there and now this video proves that Craig was goaded into a reaction by a moron whose intelligence can only be compared to someone with a forum name similar to a popular 90’s game.

As for the other Cumbrian thinking this video proves Craig guilt, wow. The tinted specs are strong with you.Hopefully the high horses can be dismounted from. 

Handbags at dawn. 

AHH , payback .  LOL.

2 hours ago, Cj69 said:

Video of the Cook incident.  I don't think he did ride into the Marshall, who seemed to move into his path as Cook tried to avoid him. Reading posts seemed like he aimed for him. Also don't see a headbutt more a shoulder barge (can see him dip shoulder to push him with it) but with the helmet peak that sticks out it was a stupid move.  

I don't condone his actions and he should never had been on track for this incident to happen.  Some sort of fine/ban should still be in place for his actions leading to the 'brawl'.

This is only my opinion from watching the short video. 

How can the SCB fine Craig?!? No regulations state that bikes shouldn't be ridden during a parade. In fact, some clubs do parades with rider's going round on their bikes. The only thing that should have happened is a little word in the ear to the Glasgow manager to have a word with his team. As for the safety of children on the centre green, that is the responsibility of Eastbourne to not allow them to leave the area until parade has ended. If people / youngsters were running across the track during parade then the Eastbourne management need to have a long hard look at themselves rather than blaming Glasgow. If people / youngsters wasn't on track then there wasn't a problem, only the "have a go hero" marshall started and created one. 

From the short video, if any fines are to be handed out, it should be to the Eastbourne management for failing to control their staff, exacerbating the tension with centre green announcements etc. 

Craig Cook (and other Glasgow rider's) according to Speedway regulations are totally the innocent party. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

How can the SCB fine Craig?!? No regulations state that bikes shouldn't be ridden during a parade. In fact, some clubs do parades with rider's going round on their bikes. The only thing that should have happened is a little word in the ear to the Glasgow manager to have a word with his team. As for the safety of children on the centre green, that is the responsibility of Eastbourne to not allow them to leave the area until parade has ended. If people / youngsters were running across the track during parade then the Eastbourne management need to have a long hard look at themselves rather than blaming Glasgow. If people / youngsters wasn't on track then there wasn't a problem, only the "have a go hero" marshall started and created one. 

From the short video, if any fines are to be handed out, it should be to the Eastbourne management for failing to control their staff, exacerbating the tension with centre green announcements etc. 

Craig Cook (and other Glasgow rider's) according to Speedway regulations are totally the innocent party. 

Is entering the track on a red flag in the rulebook ?  - i also don't think anyone has said youngsters were running around the track have they ?  There was however i reckon about 40 people, some of who were on the track as part of the presentation thing before the riders decided to push off with the marshall on the back straight waving his red flag. 

18 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Is entering the track on a red flag in the rulebook ?  - i also don't think anyone has said youngsters were running around the track have they ?  There was however i reckon about 40 people, some of who were on the track as part of the presentation thing before the riders decided to push off with the marshall on the back straight waving his red flag. 

So the Marshall was waving his flag before they pushed off?.......give it up for God's sake. The video proves that the whole thing has been exaggerated well out of proportion by a crowd of Craig Cook and/or Glasgow haters with others of the same ilk then jumping on the band wagon. Disgraceful and harmful piece of fiction......

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ragdoll64 said:

So the Marshall was waving his flag before they pushed off?.......give it up for God's sake. The video proves that the whole thing has been exaggerated well out of proportion by a crowd of Craig Cook and/or Glasgow haters with others of the same ilk then jumping on the band wagon. Disgraceful and harmful piece of fiction......

Scuse me ?  I was there, there was a marshall on the back straight waving his red flag.  I'm a Reading fan, i actually wanted Glasgow to win on the night so i've got no agenda at all.   When the rest of Dugards video is released you'll see it went way further than that little snippet.   

I dont give two hoots if anyone gets charged or not, but it wasn't some small little incident.  Others will get in trouble i'm sure, Dugard possibly being one of them i would say.