British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Looking at that video its the fastest Kennett has been all season. Who is the ned in the white trainers that squares up to Cook at the start then minus jumper comes back for more a minute later? Mechanic, track staff, first aider, official photographer, announcer, sponsor or general hanger on?

More questions than answers here though gives context to the pathetic attempt by Dugard to only release the first 15 seconds. 

Well done for posting the video.  I was having Glasgow supporters in my private messages telling me nothing happened after the shoulder/charge and no punches were thrown by anyone.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, timetoturnleftagain said:

Longer 2 minute version, sorry no sound and taken from tele by phone.

At least Cook has the brains to keep his helmet on.Obviously there was a safety concern to start with,but the scuffle REALLY just a bit of handbags, no doubt it will be settled as a it of a misunderstanding.There was no need for Claus to get involved   though .IMO

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

In what way is the marshal acting incorrectly?  It's true that track staff should not be on the track during a race, but this wasn't during a race.  It's while other people were still on the track.  Cookie had plenty of time to slow down, but didn't. He disobeyed a red flag. 

All this is in your opinion. I am definitely not a Cook fan, but I don't see how he could slow down, in the time that the marshal, walked in front of him. Only a lunatic, would walk into the path of a moving speedway bike. This is what caused Cooks reaction, (lets face it, it does not take much, to fire him up). Cook disobeyed many things and there are lots of questions to be answered, but you cannot ignore the provocation. It is, his only mitigation. This issue should have been addressed back in the pits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Well done for posting the video.  I was having Glasgow supporters in my private messages telling me nothing happened after the shoulder/charge and no punches were thrown by anyone.

They are not punches up in Glasgow, a “Glasgow Kiss” has to involved:P 

• Haha 1

As a lifelong Tigers fan, but long term Sussex resident , and Eagles fan, I’ve stayed out so far, letting those without any evidence have their say/opinion/speculation. I wasn’t at the meeting.

However that longer video tells a contradictory story to what the previous 29 pages have alleged.

A man walking in front of a bike with no brakes, that is not designed to turn RIGHT.

A headbutt that turns out to be a shoulder charge. I can fully understand from other angles it may look like a headbutt.

But it wasn’t......

I’m not sure how many of us would instantly react to nearly being knocked off.

Punches thrown by more than one person, from both teams, and now we see Kennett wading in too.

Oh, and by the way, when the dust settles, can you all go out and race your 500cc bike, no hard feelings eh?

So far, on the evidence actually shown, neither side has anything to be proud of.

In the face of what that video shows, Mr Facenna can be very proud of his decision to apologise for his side’s part in that ruck.

That longer video would suggest that Cook (and Dugard) need to reflect both on their team’s part in it, and also what was said on the PA to exacerbate the situation.

Edited by Jonimac
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Jonimac said:

That longer video would suggest that Cook (and Dugard) need to reflect both on their team’s part in it, and also what was said on the PA to exacerbate the situation.

The pa stuff was pantomime stuff imo.  Saying about young riders riding the track all day fine and why supposed gp riders couldnt etc..  Protests being led by someone with the same surname as me etc..  Nothing juicy or anything more than that really.  It certainly didn't turn the place into a cauldron of hate or anything. 

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

In what way is the marshal acting incorrectly?  It's true that track staff should not be on the track during a race, but this wasn't during a race.  It's while other people were still on the track.  Cookie had plenty of time to slow down, but didn't. He disobeyed a red flag. 

Sorry for not responding sooner but I see several others have already adequately answered your question. :)

Might add a few on to the gate next week if word gets around about the excitement that can be had on a night at the Speedway.;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

The pa stuff was pantomime stuff imo.  Saying about young riders riding the track all day fine and why supposed gp riders couldnt etc..  Protests being led by someone with the same surname as me etc..  Nothing juicy or anything more than that really.  It certainly didn't turn the place into a cauldron of hate or anything. 

Yes, a highly professional way to run a struggling business. I am as desperate as anyone to see the Eagles succeed in the Championship but when you do get a top team, with a genuine top rider (I went to the league meeting and Cookie was immense) turning up, is that really how you want to sell the entertainment?

Sounds like something from Blantyre 1978...........

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jonimac said:

Yes, a highly professional way to run a struggling business. I am as desperate as anyone to see the Eagles succeed in the Championship but when you do get a top team, with a genuine top rider (I went to the league meeting and Cookie was immense) turning up, is that really how you want to sell the entertainment?

Don’t know what Cookie would have to say about Jimmy Beaton and his tractor in them days:D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jonimac said:

I didn't read it like that but i get what you mean.  By the same token, a team turning up with a top rider and mithering about track conditions and not getting changed til pretty much start time is hardly good either from a fans perspective imo. 

5 hours ago, stevec said:

You have misunderstood.

All the bikes were on the track, lined up and facing the main grandstand on the back straight. This is how the riders are announced at Arlington. They stand behind the bike, get introduced, wave and then sit on the bike waiting for the rest of the riders from both teams to be introduced. The away team is always introduced first.

Once all the riders are introduced, all 14 riders (or less if RR is being used) are pushed off and they have a lap or two of practices starts and 'getting the feel' of the turns by sliding in. As the bikes are pushed off, little mascots, guests, media etc etc are either marched off the track or walked to the safe area on the centre green.

What happened Saturday, is three or so of the Glasgow riders were pushed off before the Eagles were introduced  and started their practice starts at turn 4. Down towards turn 1 and then, you see what happens.

Its possible that Cook was going off but unlikely as most riders would at least do a lap and a bit round the track and not be happy doing just 3/4 of a lap. But, maybe Cookie had already decided he was not going to race and hence was going to the pits. Even if he was, the marshal would not have known that and would have wanted to stop the riders going round turn two and into the area where people were still milling around on the track.

Many thanks SteveC. At least someone had the good grace to explain the procedure and some of the facts surrounding this incident. 

I don't know if Glasgow/Craig Cook didn't like the track or if the home promotion went into wind up mode, this is simply not good enough. Don't wash this kind of dirty washing in public if you want to present our sport in a professional light. I know "fans" have described our love as Mickey Mouse. I don't subscribe to that point of view despite the many examples you may quote. It is beholding on all of us, promotions, staff, riders and fans to conduct ourselves in a more appropriate fashion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solidmango said:

I'll give you a wee hand, this is straight from the SCB rule book, the only section mentioning the red flag. So, did the referee put the red lights on?!

14.14 The TRACK CURATOR (who must be formally approved by the SCB) ensures the track and all connected aspects receives timely and suitable preparation prior to and during a Meeting. a) They must be fully aware and responsible to ensure compliance of these Regulations, specifically Art.9.2.1 (provision of a fixed APD’s, spare APD Panels and Inflatable Pumps), Art.9.2.2 (advertising on fences), Art. 9.2.3 (Neutral Zone), Art.9.2.4 (Infield requirements), Art.9.2.5 and 9.2.5.1 (Inner and Outer Edge markings) and Art.9.5 (minimum equipment requirements and shale). b) confirm to the Referee by means of the Meeting Certificate of the type and quantity of Equipment available and that it is in working order. c) Assisted by Track Marshals ensure that the track is clear of all objects as soon as the 2-minute warning is sounded and that the Red Flags are shown immediately the Referee shows the Red Stop lights.

i do believe he flashed the red lights as the riders were on the 3rd or 4th bend . so yes the lights were applied to warn/advise the riders to stop . 

SCB STATEMENT: EASTBOURNE v GLASGOW

Monday August 05, 2019
scb.jpg
The Speedway Control Bureau are looking into the scenes that happened at Eastbourne on Saturday 3rd August in the Championship Shield Semi-Final which took place between Eastbourne and Glasgow.

The Bureau have requested witness statements from several officials, and until fully investigated no further comment will be made.

Neil Vatcher
SCB Co-ordinator