British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

I stand by my earlier comment.

"Glasgow started it and Eastbourne finished it"

The bullied were not intimidated and fought back literally!

Mind games sometimes work on this occasion if would appear that they didn't and were returned with interest.

This was pretty norm for speedway in the days of far bigger crowds, real men not whimps and before social media and the inevitable issues that brings.

Good old fashioned proper partisan speedway like i used to see at places like brandon, Dudley Wood, Blackbird Road, Smallmead; and countless others.

The point is lets enjoy it while we can PLEASE!

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

No member of the track staff ejected from the stadium.

Just shows what misinformation gets out.

is that definite where have you heard it officially?

7 minutes ago, stevec said:

They were there and on the scene. What facts would they have not known? That rightfully apologised and I commend them for doing so.

They complained about a track that was fine

Did not even get changed ready to race on time

Pushed three of their riders off before the eastbourne had even been introduced

Had a rider run into a marshal who was trying to stop them from riding on the track when they should not have been

Then had a rider shoulder barge that marshal (still would debate that it was a missed head butt)

And then thump someone else (who was having a go at him but not trhowing punches)

Then they have a rider refuse to ride in heat 1 (who later goes out and proves how riderable the track was) and btw, he was an absolute pleasure to watch. A brilliant rider!

Personally, I would put the whole thing down to gamesmanship and handbags but please dont try to make out Eastbourne were as bad. Eddie got stuck in after he had seen punches and god know what else thrown.

In that case they should have nothing to worry about at any investigation.

• Haha 1

So, despite all the silliness that happened from the time of the presentations onwards, the real problem was that Glasgow/Craig Cook objected to track?

Surely there is a process by which any rider or club can object to the referee about the state of the racing surface and request an inspection or whatever? Then it is down to the referee to order further work (or not) a cancellation or no action at all. 

Did any of this happen? Or as has been implied, was this a case of a rider or riders taking the law into their own hands? I think this is crucial. We can debate the actions of staff and riders back and forth endlessly. But was due process followed and if so, what was the official pronouncement?

5 minutes ago, False dawn said:

So, despite all the silliness that happened from the time of the presentations onwards, the real problem was that Glasgow/Craig Cook objected to track?

Surely there is a process by which any rider or club can object to the referee about the state of the racing surface and request an inspection or whatever? Then it is down to the referee to order further work (or not) a cancellation or no action at all. 

Did any of this happen? Or as has been implied, was this a case of a rider or riders taking the law into their own hands? I think this is crucial. We can debate the actions of staff and riders back and forth endlessly. But was due process followed and if so, what was the official pronouncement?

Extra work was done which suggests the referee had sympathy for the Glasgow riders concerns

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

The excellent and regular documentary includes plenty of filmed and interview evidence from both sides taken before during and after the meeting regarding track conditions and no doubt everyone can make their won mind up about the actual track conditions once racing started. Looks very good conditions and racing to me. 

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eaglestv/

I assume that contains nothing that is part of Inquiry?? certainly nothing controversial in it but a good insight and they do have superb media there.

Everyone i have spoken to who was there says the same thing, Glasgow tried to intimidate an inexperience referee, Vatcher was there and called to go to Pits and once he did and walked track it seems Glasgow told to get changed and stop messing about and parade started 10 minutes late, after a short bit of chain grading.

6 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Yep, that happened. Ref looked, asked for a little work to be done and declared it fit for racing.

1 minute ago, SharpenRake said:

Extra work was done which suggests the referee had sympathy for the Glasgow riders concerns

More like pacifying them. There was a little sawduct put down and the tractor did about 5 laps  round the track.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I know that Glasgow apologised on Saturday night but in hindsight i bet they wish they had held off until all the facts were established.

It looks like the home team were every bit as culpable on Saturday as we were.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

I believe from reading comments from other fora from fans that were there, that Peter Facenna apologised for any part that they played BUT didn't take full responsibility for everything that happened and having seen the video you can understand why. And as I also said earlier Peter Facenna is a polite chap.

29 minutes ago, HGould said:

is that definite where have you heard it officially?

“One aspect of the evening, that has been incorrectly reported and misrepresented on social media and various forums, is that a track official was excluded from the meeting. 

“This is a complete fabrication and totally untrue. The allegation has no basis in fact.”

This is a quote from Ian Jordan on the Eastbourne Speedway website

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

It is plain to see it was not a head butt, mountain and molehill springs to mind.

And if Cook needs to act in a professional way and you are correct , I assume you would agree Kennet should also as it looks like he thought he was at the boxing.

He certainly went in for the head butt but completely missed . Thats a fact and its clear to see in the 2.30 minute video thats doing the rounds. 

Be interesting to see what happened when Kennett attacked Cook but sadly the crowded area prevents that.

attempting to head butt someone whilst wearing a hard hat is cowardly, pathetic and absolutely disgraceful regardless of being provoked. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Mr Weston. Have you never been in a situation where someone barges past you or perhaps been standing patiently in a queue when someone moves in front of you or perhaps someone has cut in front of you whilst out driving? And have you never got annoyed, perhaps pushed them back or....  I'm sure you get the idea. Now think how would you react if someone is moving in front of you and you were on a bike with no brakes albeit going slowly. Even you would surely get a bit annoyed and push him away and as both hands are on the handle bars you would use your shoulder. He may not have acted professionally in your eyes but to me he did what any normal person would have done. Yours Sharp

Never pushed at anyone, however annoyed I might be.

Best to ignore such provocation is my attitude. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

Everyone i have spoken to who was there says the same thing, Glasgow tried to intimidate an inexperience referee, Vatcher was there and called to go to Pits and once he did and walked track it seems Glasgow told to get changed and stop messing about and parade started 10 minutes late, after a short bit of chain grading.

:rofl:

So the referee passed the track as ready to race. So he should have come down hard on any further (unofficial) actions being taken by club or rider. He would have been aware of the ill feeling and should have advised the Glasgow management that he was not having any of it. 

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

Never pushed at anyone, however annoyed I might be.

Best to ignore such provocation is my attitude. 

Very admirable and I'm sure you would therefore agree that the actions of the Eastbourne staff riders hangers on were totally out of order following the Cook/marshall incident?

• Like 2