British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think the BSPA should order Glasgow to return to Eastbourne and have the Parade and Rider Introductions done properly.;):D

See, at last someone talking sense :t:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I have 'mysky' also.

If you don't have Capricornia its worth sampling.  For me its up there with bsm and e&s&m.  Haven't thus far bothered with FT and OverflowT, unfortunately I don't have a spare three hundred quid, although I have all the regular issue stuff so loads of overlap anyway.

Ahem, apologies to others, er back on topic yeah I do follow speedway

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

On the first point, I tend to agree but SCB Regulations make it clear that the announcer must act 'in a strictly impartial manner'. That makes criticism or comment about the opposition a non starter.

On the second, three words : Isle Of Wight. The most praised speedway team in the country and their whole ethos is based around 'family sport'.

On the third, I really don't see why you can't promote both together. 

Having recently read a 2 page spread in Speedway Star about the excellent Community Programme at Arlington seems Eastbourne need no lessons from anyone on promoting family sport.

Speedway Star this week states over 3000 first time young visitors to Arlington this season, I bet even Barry Bishop would welcome that!

Glasgow too very keen to market a "family sport"

Craig Cook should note that!

Just look at the number of kids/families in the crowd

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eaglestv/ (Pitside Championship Shield 3/8/2019 - lasts 23 minutes)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

Having recently read a 2 page spread in Speedway Star about the excellent Community Programme at Arlington seems Eastbourne need no lessons from anyone on promoting family sport.

Speedway Star this week states over 3000 first time young visitors to Arlington this season, I bet even Barry Bishop would welcome that!

Glasgow too very keen to market a "family sport"

Craig Cook should note that!

Just look at the number of kids/families in the crowd

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eaglestv/ (Pitside Championship Shield 3/8/2019 - lasts 23 minutes)

I think Isle of Wight got a four page spread :D

All credit to Eastbourne :approve: 

I was hugely impressed with Redcar the other night doing something similar.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Thanks 1

Blimey, been away from this thread for a day due to an operation and I come back to a science lesson....weird

One observation I have. Why do people take time read these threads and the saying it's gone too long or getting boring. Just font click on the thread title. For those of us still posting and reading....we want it.

Anyway my statement for the day  speedway is the winner here

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

On the first point, I tend to agree but SCB Regulations make it clear that the announcer must act 'in a strictly impartial manner'. That makes criticism or comment about the opposition a non starter.

On the second, three words : Isle Of Wight. The most praised speedway team in the country and their whole ethos is based around 'family sport'.

On the third, I really don't see why you can't promote both together. 

Isle of Wight.

The most praised team in the country..

I'm sorry, that says it all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I think Isle of Wight got a four page spread :D

All credit to Eastbourne :approve: 

I was hugely impressed with Redcar the other night doing something similar.

one thing we can all agree on are the number of Clubs actually waking up and encouraging kids to Speedway

• Like 1

Sorry, I was the one who brought the 'blue sky' up. Was just an example on how ridiculous it is to defend Cook. Next time I'll use a speedway related one. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Sorry, I was the one who brought the 'blue sky' up.  Next time I'll use a speedway related one. :)

It was entertaining though :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Think the BSPA should order Glasgow to return to Eastbourne and have the Parade and Rider Introductions done properly.;):D

what , you mean they were not done properly ?

1 hour ago, jenga said:

what , you mean they were not done properly ?

That’s the “rumour “:P

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Isle of Wight.

I think you'll find they are the most praised Promotion not team. Which as you say says it all when a promotion  are talked about more than promotions in the top 2 leagues. They must be doing something right so where are the rest going wrong?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pirate Nick said:

I think you'll find they are the most praised Promotion not team. Which as you say says it all when a promotion  are talked about more than promotions in the top 2 leagues. They must be doing something right so where are the rest going wrong?

There are a number of other sides in PL and CL doing things as well as if not better than IOW  but Barry Bishop is probably the most flamboyant and confident Promoter of this generation.

I don't think its a case that some of the others are going wrong.

I think the media hold Pearson and AP have limits many Clubs, certainly my own Club is very poor and quality of website, social media and programme is way behind the best and I think the Clubs doing best are more "independent" in their Media, Marketing and Communications.

IOW do have advantages many clubs don't have certainly in likes of Local Government and Local Transport support and also in having no real alternative sports competition in their vicinity (an island after all) but credit where it is due they do very well., Bishop is a massive asset for them.

The day Birmingham City Council and W Midlands Transport lay on 1% of the help IOW get I suspect the Masons will think they have won the Lottery. Cradley Heath have fought for years against an awful Council campaign of indifference. 

Other clubs have made real progress and may be Barry Bishop needs to spread his wings and look at using his undoubted skills, may be at Poole? or Oxford??

Funny thing in relation to this 40+ page attack on Glasgow and Eastbourne is they are probably in the best 3-4 Clubs at Marketing and Promoting, and Craig Cook light years ahead of most British Riders in his Media; so may be they have got us all duped! :drink:

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Isle of Wight.

I am not quite certain of your emphasis here but I suspect it is that there is something wrong that such a small club should be getting far more credit - and that is across the board -  than much bigger ones. If so, and as Pirate Nick says, you're right.

But its not necessarily a negative. There are signs that others are realising - finally -  the need to make sure that customers are treated as though they are valued and that you want them to come back again.  

As I said, I was very impressed with Redcar the other night and although I wasn't aware of what Eastbourne are doing its brilliant to hear that they are really getting stuck in to attracting new people, especially young ones. 

Speedway desperately needs that kind of enthusiasm and positivity, so more power to their elbow.  

• Like 1