British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

the more i hear and read on peter facenna the more i'm impressed .  what a gentleman . i honestly hope glasgow go on to win the league just for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

more spiel , every rider should have a sighting lap in most , if not all motor sports . no one can tell  the track officials not to give them no sighting laps . major spiel on your behalf ( the only time a meeting there  will be no sighting lap is when poor weather is looming )

Simple question Do you agree that craig was leaving the track 

17 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Think Craig’s article in SS suggests he got himself all “wound up” about things that went on, and regrets it.Thats the type of guy he is though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HGould said:

There are a number of other sides in PL and CL doing things as well as if not better than IOW  but Barry Bishop is probably the most flamboyant and confident Promoter of this generation.

I don't think its a case that some of the others are going wrong.

I think the media hold Pearson and AP have limits many Clubs, certainly my own Club is very poor and quality of website, social media and programme is way behind the best and I think the Clubs doing best are more "independent" in their Media, Marketing and Communications.

IOW do have advantages many clubs don't have certainly in likes of Local Government and Local Transport support and also in having no real alternative sports competition in their vicinity (an island after all) but credit where it is due they do very well., Bishop is a massive asset for them.

The day Birmingham City Council and W Midlands Transport lay on 1% of the help IOW get I suspect the Masons will think they have won the Lottery. Cradley Heath have fought for years against an awful Council campaign of indifference. 

Other clubs have made real progress and may be Barry Bishop needs to spread his wings and look at using his undoubted skills, may be at Poole? or Oxford??

Funny thing in relation to this 40+ page attack on Glasgow and Eastbourne is they are probably in the best 3-4 Clubs at Marketing and Promoting, and Craig Cook light years ahead of most British Riders in his Media; so may be they have got us all duped! :drink:

I feel I must correct you on a few points here... Firstly we dont have any advantage when compared to other clubs whatsoever from local government or local transport.... we receive no funding at all, no discounts at all and we have NO public transport to the stadium. The Warriors PAY for the free taxi service from Ryde Pier for locals and travelling fans - but it must be booked via the company. What we absolutely do not have is any kind of public transport be that train, bus or ferry.... in fact we are at a distinc disadvantage because we have to pay for every rider and official's ferry ticket this include both teams Warriors and Wizardss - we do not have full sponsorship from Wightlink but their sponsorship has grown year on year because of our progress and our ethos. We do have a corporate rate of course because our spend is still in the tens of thousand with them.

Your other point about not being able to be what we want to be... this is so true.... I work very closely with our team about the next idea, next promotional move and how we can sell our product better... this is a difficult areas because we are prevented by rules that govern us and given a free and open run at it... I know we can improve dramatically.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback and I enjoy reading peoples views on what works for them and so on and that is all feedback that we can utilise now and in the future.

Many thanks

Barry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mac101 said:

i have no idea . that is only something Craig  knows and can answer himself .  we can only speculate as to what the rider was thinking of . i hope that sort of answers your question . its one of those questions we cannot answer . sorry ...  Eagles T.V. is decent viewing of  the V  Glasgow meeting . odd clips tho .

4 hours ago, mac101 said:

In the video You can see the pit gate is on the second bend and open and craig was heading towards  it before he Marshall decided to jump in front of him maybe he was told not to give Glasgow riders any practice laps just get them straight back into the pits 

Really?

3 hours ago, barrybishop said:

I feel I must correct you on a few points here... Firstly we dont have any advantage when compared to other clubs whatsoever from local government or local transport.... we receive no funding at all, no discounts at all and we have NO public transport to the stadium. The Warriors PAY for the free taxi service from Ryde Pier for locals and travelling fans - but it must be booked via the company. What we absolutely do not have is any kind of public transport be that train, bus or ferry.... in fact we are at a distinc disadvantage because we have to pay for every rider and official's ferry ticket this include both teams Warriors and Wizardss - we do not have full sponsorship from Wightlink but their sponsorship has grown year on year because of our progress and our ethos. We do have a corporate rate of course because our spend is still in the tens of thousand with them.

Your other point about not being able to be what we want to be... this is so true.... I work very closely with our team about the next idea, next promotional move and how we can sell our product better... this is a difficult areas because we are prevented by rules that govern us and given a free and open run at it... I know we can improve dramatically.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback and I enjoy reading peoples views on what works for them and so on and that is all feedback that we can utilise now and in the future.

Many thanks

Barry

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding Barry

Best of luck with all that you are doing, which is fantastic.

• Like 2

Very pleasing how speedway if progressing at IOW, good luck to the  club.  Something which occured to me watching 'the incedent', and also the racing of Eastbourne v Glasgow, was how many security staff were present in addition to 'regular' marshalls / stewards in hi-viz jackets.  Any public event requires marshalls / stewards, we all understand the reasons, one promoter told me for every 'x' number of spectators (forget the figure) at least one steward must be employed to satisfy HSE, etc.   Not re-fanning the flames or stirring the pot but I was surprised that Eastbourne employ security staff, at least for the Glasgow meeting, as speedway is still largely a trouble-free sport.....

3 hours ago, jenga said:

i have no idea . that is only something Craig  knows and can answer himself .  we can only speculate as to what the rider was thinking of . i hope that sort of answers your question . its one of those questions we cannot answer . sorry ...  Eagles T.V. is decent viewing of  the V  Glasgow meeting . odd clips tho .

I'm not condoning what took place during those mad few minutes, and punishment should be handed out to every last person that was involved and can be identified, but as a neutral attending the meeting, and standing almost in front of where the happening that sparked of the incidents took place, my honest opinion was the Craig Cook was in the process of turning his machine towards the pit gate.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

I'm not condoning what took place during those mad few minutes, and punishment should be handed out to every last person that was involved and can be identified, but as a neutral attending the meeting, and standing almost in front of where the happening that sparked of the incidents took place, my honest opinion was the Craig Cook was in the process of turning his machine towards the pit gate.   

I'm of the same opinion.  I personally think the marshall panicked as it wasn't the correct exit of the track and the pointing he does is in the direction of the back straight exit and also the intro's that were still going on.  He definitely shouldn't have jumped across tho, but looking at him, he doesn't appear to be that old so maybe he did just simply panic at having a situation like that unfold on his bit of track. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

To be fair, everyone in the stadium was in danger of being run over by Craig Cook ....... if they too had flung themselves in front of him.  :)

I was quite concerned for a passing farmer on his tractor outside the stadium.. 

Imagine if Cook had made it out to public roads!

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I was quite concerned for a passing farmer on his tractor outside the stadium.. 

Imagine if Cook had made it out to public roads!

and tried to ram a tractor out of the way, or even a fat farmer ?

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

and tried to ram a tractor out of the way, or even a fat farmer ?

Cook was riding on the most dangerous machine known to man. Only the Marvel Avenger marshal could have stopped him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Cook was riding on the most dangerous machine known to man. Only the Marvel Avenger marshal could have stopped him.

Should have had the 'power rangers' there.

it wasn't actually Craig Cook, he was stood on bend 2 in a duffle coat and balaclava chuckling while this imposter wreaked havoc, the fact that it wasn't me by shaggy  was playing on the PA at the time was the major clue, as a fellow Cumbria you've got to love cookies sense of humour