British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Let's get real. There's been loads of debate about the conduct of riders, a member of staff, other riders and mechanics, but what sparked this whole incident? Glasgow/Craig Cook didn't like the track preparation. Several Glasgow riders decided to play silly buggers during a well understood rider presentation and the rest is history. So you decide. Did Eastbourne prepare a poor track or did some Glasgow riders decide to make a point? I don't know. But focusing on the resulting fight is rather missing the point.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

What’s relevant is that Marshals aren’t meant to be on track whilst bikes are!

and vice versa . putting it bluntly , the glasgow 3 headed off into the sunset before they should have . somehow i dont think the ref was testing the red lights when the introductions were going on. all that stuff should have been done in his pre meeting inspections .

18 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Yes I’ve heard that some tracks do this practise but I can only go by what we have been told that there is an expected requirement from all marshals. 

I fail to see any need for this procedure tho given that when red lights come on and marshals flag red that all riders are aware that it’s time to leave the track after warm up laps. 

With what has happened at Eastbourne I can see new precedents being set that all marshals stay off track.

red lights were put on and the marshals reacted to the refs intentions .

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Personally I don’t see what all the fuss is about ,marshals with red flags have being doing there job efficiently for year at most tracks.This event has more do with the build up to the meeting and riders getting themselves all wound up.Its history now though.

It shouldn’t be a fuss at all. Riders generally respect the marshals and vice versa. It’s clear tho this time that the marshal was hell bent on stopping Cook!

1 minute ago, jenga said:

and vice versa . putting it bluntly , the glasgow 3 headed off into the sunset before they should have . somehow i dont think the ref was testing the red lights when the introductions were going on. all that stuff should have been done in his pre meeting inspections .

We still don’t know why those 3 headed off. That’s all subjective. Refs test lights before riders are on track.

1 minute ago, jenga said:

red lights were put on and the marshals reacted to the refs intentions .

One marshal acted inappropriately.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

One marshal acted inappropriately.

IMO, you have got that wrong.but it is about opinions on a forum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

EDITED BY J .. SORRY 

We still don’t know why those 3 headed off. That’s all subjective. Refs test lights before riders are on track.

oh yes we do . Craig had one of his moments and played the hero card . got pushed off by his man after craig instructed him and then gave a follow me signal to the rest of the team . missing vissing played along to the cult figure of glasgow and followed , as did young kyle , kyle will learn, but vissing should have known better . why did the rest of the team not follow their leader , because they knew it was wrong . 

craig is a great lad , and willie ..  but there are times when he thinks he is gods gift . he has been blessed by the way of being a superb motorcyclist in both codes ,motocross and speedway .. 

craig has been great for speedway and Cumbria , hope it continues , but we all have to play by the rules , written or unwritten  .....

HUGE sorrys to stevebrum for editing his post it was the 2nd line that i was replying too .. 

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

IMO, you have got that wrong.but it is about opinions on a forum.

As a Marshall myself I know I’m not allowed onto the track when riders are on bikes, something I sign to say I understand and comply with health and safety issues. Red flags are shown from the infield of the track. 

So it’s not an opinion at all. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

As a Marshall myself I know I’m not allowed onto the track when riders are on bikes, something I sign to say I understand and comply with health and safety issues. Red flags are shown from the infield of the track. 

Stewards are never told to physically get riders to do anything. They wave a flag and if the rider ignores the instruction, it's the rider that's at fault, not the steward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

But there is obviously nothing in the rules and regulations that’s says that.The only time I have seen red flags from infield is after racing has started ,which I can understand.In this case  the racing had not commenced.

Edited by Fromafar

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

With your 39 posts. Nicely outed. :drink:

Someone who clearly feels no need to follow health and safety protocol at a motor sports event. :rolleyes:

Not that it matters but the 39 is reputation, not posts. Just because I don't post that much and of course for not many years now, doesn't mean I can't have a view point..

Edited by M.D

13 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Stewards are never told to physically get riders to do anything. They wave a flag and if the rider ignores the instruction, it's the rider that's at fault, not the steward.

Exactly!

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

But there is obviously nothing in the rules and regulations that’s says that.The only time I have seen red flags from infield is after racing has started ,which I can understand.In this case  the racing had not commenced.

It’s a directive from SCB to all tracks. 

7 minutes ago, M.D said:

Not that it matters but the 39 is reputation, not posts. Just because I don't post that much and of course for not many years now, doesn't mean I can't have a view point..

Ditto, but as you see fit to rubbish my posts I’ll do the same with yours. It’s only fair.

Anyway, back to grown up matters.

24 minutes ago, jenga said:

oh yes we do . Craig had one of his moments and played the hero card . got pushed off by his man after craig instructed him and then gave a follow me signal to the rest of the team . missing vissing played along to the cult figure of glasgow and followed , as did young kyle , kyle will learn, but vissing should have known better . why did the rest of the team not follow their leader , because they knew it was wrong . 

craig is a great lad , and willie ..  but there are times when he thinks he is gods gift . he has been blessed by the way of being a superb motorcyclist in both codes ,motocross and speedway .. 

craig has been great for speedway and Cumbria , hope it continues , but we all have to play by the rules , written or unwritten  .....

HUGE sorrys to stevebrum for editing his post it was the 2nd line that i was replying too .. 

That’s ok. A bit of respect never hurts anyone. Thanks. B)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

What’s relevant is that Marshals aren’t meant to be on track whilst bikes are!

But that only happened because the bikes came on when they shouldn't have - this is head splittingly frustrating.

Should the marshalls, already having had their red flags ignored, scuttle back thru the presentation party onto the centre green and wave their flag behind everyone and hope the rider stops  ?  Bet the guests would be well chuffed at the jobsworth marshall that did that and left them exposed. 

Edited by The Doctor...

people are picking cherries from this topic and turning it into something that its not . there is only one man to blame , end of !

• Like 2