British Speedway Forum
Gemini

Lions v Tigers (Sheffield) 4.8.19

SORRY..........I HAVE JUST SEEN ONE ON THE NEXT PAGE. :blush:

There never seems much interest in starting Leicester match topics so here goes.......taken from the Lions website. It's today! 4pm. 

LEICESTER hand a debut to new signing Ty Proctor in Sunday’s big Championship clash with Sheffield at the Paul Chapman & Sons Arena (4pm).
Proctor has joined the Watling JCB Lions as a replacement for the injured Josh Bates, and in a major irony his first appearance for the club will be against his former side.
The Australian was in good form prior to his release by the Tigers as they looked to move back to a seven-man team following the injury to Broc Nicol, and it means Todd Kurtz and Justin Sedgmen are newcomers to the Sheffield line-up on Sunday.
Proctor said: “The team-mates I’ve left behind at Sheffield are a really good bunch of guys, and riding in my first meeting for Leicester against some good friends of mine who I’ve been riding with for most of the year is going to be an awkward situation.
“But at the end of the day I’m here to do a job and I’ve been brought here to do what I do best, and that’s to win races.
“I’ve been speaking to a lot of people lately and I think they’re right in what they say – a change really can rejuvenate things.”
Elsewhere in the Lions’ side, Aaron Summers makes a guest appearance in place of the injured Richie Worrall, and that sees him come in at No.1 with new August averages seeing skipper Scott Nicholls switch to No.5.

Following the Championship action, the Roger Webster Lion Cubs take centre stage in the semi-finals of the National League KO Cup.
The Cubs visit Stoke in the first leg on Saturday (7pm) before hosting the Potters in the return.
That means 30 heats of action on Sunday afternoon with admission prices set at £20 for adults, £17 concessions and children go free as usual.
With Luke Ruddick and Joe Thompson still on the sidelines, Mildenhall’s Matt Marson comes in to guest in the Potteries, with his team-mate Charlie Brooks taking over for the return.
LEICESTER: Aaron Summers, Ellis Perks, Ty Proctor, Ryan Douglas, Scott Nicholls, Joe Lawlor, Connor Mountain.
SHEFFIELD: Danny King, Todd Kurtz, Drew Kemp, Justin Sedgmen, Kyle Howarth, Zaine Kennedy, Josh MacDonald.

LEICESTER (Sunday): Danyon Hume, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson R/R, Charlie Brooks, Ellis Perks, Ryan MacDonald, Ryan Terry-Daley. 
STOKE (Sunday): Tom Perry, Shelby Rutherford, Joe Lawlor, Luke Priest, David Wallinger, Kieran Douglas, Kean Dicken.

Edited by Gemini

Leicester v Leicester B. A good runout for the underlings should the main team suffer any more injuries. Damo won't have ordered anything other than a resounding home win.

20 minutes ago, MD said:

Leicester v Leicester B. A good runout for the underlings should the main team suffer any more injuries. Damo won't have ordered anything other than a resounding home win.

not bothered about sheffield then seeing as its up for sale?

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

SORRY..........I HAVE JUST SEEN ONE ON THE NEXT PAGE. :blush:

There never seems much interest in starting Leicester match topics so here goes.......taken from the Lions website. It's today! 4pm. 

LEICESTER hand a debut to new signing Ty Proctor in Sunday’s big Championship clash with Sheffield at the Paul Chapman & Sons Arena (4pm).
Proctor has joined the Watling JCB Lions as a replacement for the injured Josh Bates, and in a major irony his first appearance for the club will be against his former side.
The Australian was in good form prior to his release by the Tigers as they looked to move back to a seven-man team following the injury to Broc Nicol, and it means Todd Kurtz and Justin Sedgmen are newcomers to the Sheffield line-up on Sunday.
Proctor said: “The team-mates I’ve left behind at Sheffield are a really good bunch of guys, and riding in my first meeting for Leicester against some good friends of mine who I’ve been riding with for most of the year is going to be an awkward situation.
“But at the end of the day I’m here to do a job and I’ve been brought here to do what I do best, and that’s to win races.
“I’ve been speaking to a lot of people lately and I think they’re right in what they say – a change really can rejuvenate things.”
Elsewhere in the Lions’ side, Aaron Summers makes a guest appearance in place of the injured Richie Worrall, and that sees him come in at No.1 with new August averages seeing skipper Scott Nicholls switch to No.5.

Following the Championship action, the Roger Webster Lion Cubs take centre stage in the semi-finals of the National League KO Cup.
The Cubs visit Stoke in the first leg on Saturday (7pm) before hosting the Potters in the return.
That means 30 heats of action on Sunday afternoon with admission prices set at £20 for adults, £17 concessions and children go free as usual.
With Luke Ruddick and Joe Thompson still on the sidelines, Mildenhall’s Matt Marson comes in to guest in the Potteries, with his team-mate Charlie Brooks taking over for the return.
LEICESTER: Aaron Summers, Ellis Perks, Ty Proctor, Ryan Douglas, Scott Nicholls, Joe Lawlor, Connor Mountain.
SHEFFIELD: Danny King, Todd Kurtz, Drew Kemp, Justin Sedgmen, Kyle Howarth, Zaine Kennedy, Josh MacDonald.

LEICESTER (Sunday): Danyon Hume, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson R/R, Charlie Brooks, Ellis Perks, Ryan MacDonald, Ryan Terry-Daley. 
STOKE (Sunday): Tom Perry, Shelby Rutherford, Joe Lawlor, Luke Priest, David Wallinger, Kieran Douglas, Kean Dicken.

I didn't think you were interested anymore?

I am still interested but just not able to attend at the moment Bates or no Bates.

• Sad 1

Looks like a comfortable win for the Lions, pleased to see Nicholls get a maximum. 

This was a return to the bad old days of Leicester speedway. With rain always forecast for around 6pm it started half an hour late and then the first match was run with no urgency at all with the storm clouds gathering in the distance. They did the usual thing of not watering the track during the match until it was too late with the crowd being covered in dust and then when the water truck did come out just watering the very outside where nobody ever goes. The state of the track was shocking and was down to the base on turns 1 and 4... surprised me the ref didn't go and inspect it.

track.jpg

1 hour ago, iainb said:

This was a return to the bad old days of Leicester speedway. With rain always forecast for around 6pm it started half an hour late and then the first match was run with no urgency at all with the storm clouds gathering in the distance. They did the usual thing of not watering the track during the match until it was too late with the crowd being covered in dust and then when the water truck did come out just watering the very outside where nobody ever goes. The state of the track was shocking and was down to the base on turns 1 and 4... surprised me the ref didn't go and inspect it.

track.jpg

Just to clarify a couple of points, the start was delayed because the tractor that pulls the bowser broke down, and the delay was to enable water to be put on the track once the tractor had been fixed.

I'm no track-man but you often hear that it is not wise to water the inside of the track once it has got slick, although it might have helped if the mid-match watering had been done a little earlier. Maybe the bowser had not had enough time to be re-filled?

I do agree with you point (as per the photo) about the two bare patches around the first turn.

13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Just to clarify a couple of points, the start was delayed because the tractor that pulls the bowser broke down, and the delay was to enable water to be put on the track once the tractor had been fixed.

I'm no track-man but you often hear that it is not wise to water the inside of the track once it has got slick, although it might have helped if the mid-match watering had been done a little earlier. Maybe the bowser had not had enough time to be re-filled?

I do agree with you point (as per the photo) about the two bare patches around the first turn.

I'm no track man either, but yes we do keep hearing this line about not watering the inside once it becomes slick, it's almost as if somebody once said it and then it's become gospel. It doesn't seem to happen in other countries, watch any meeting from Poland or the GP's and they flood the track all over after every 4 races, no dust problem there. The water cart should have been out after heat 4 at Leicester yesterday, instead they left it far too late.

I'm not sure if it was the tractor or the bowser that broke down, either way it all sounds as if it was left rather late in the day for track prep to begin. From the way the centre green presenter continues to gush about Stewart Dickson it sounds like he pretty much does everything, not sure if this is true but if it is he needs to start delegating responsibilities a bit.

Ianb, It was the tractor that was faulty. Once it was fixed, they watered it thoroughly. The meeting was run over 95 minutes; not the quickest but better than most.

I think that watering after heats 4, 7, and 11 would have slowed the meeting down which contradicts your comments about the speed that the meeting was run at.

33 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Ianb, It was the tractor that was faulty. Once it was fixed, they watered it thoroughly. The meeting was run over 95 minutes; not the quickest but better than most.

I think that watering after heats 4, 7, and 11 would have slowed the meeting down which contradicts your comments about the speed that the meeting was run at.

I agree with you Skodaman.

95 minutes was a quick meeting as we were aware of the weather and the late start. As one of the few start marshals to wear a stop watch I call the riders to the tapes after 90 seconds. The ref was also trying to get the riders out of the pits as quickly as possible. With 1 or 2 reruns, a fire ,three track grades and no interval I would be interested in how you would speed up a meeting further Ianb?

52 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

I thought tracks had to be watered for hours before a meeting, especially in the hot weather? Would it have been impossible for 2 tractors to have been out on the track? 1 watering and 1 grading, used to happen at Coventry years ago... when track prep was taken seriously

14 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I agree with you Skodaman.

95 minutes was a quick meeting as we were aware of the weather and the late start. As one of the few start marshals to wear a stop watch I call the riders to the tapes after 90 seconds. The ref was also trying to get the riders out of the pits as quickly as possible. With 1 or 2 reruns, a fire ,three track grades and no interval I would be interested in how you would speed up a meeting further Ianb?

well, by my calculations there were 15 heats = 16 minutes, 2 minutes between each is 28 minutes, an extra couple of minutes for the tractor racing is another 8 minutes, I'll be generous and round that up to 10... so that's 54 minutes, I'll be double generous and round that up to 1 hour... so where did the other 35 minutes go? Couple that with starting late and both meetings could have been done and dusted before the storm came.

IainB- The track was watered on Sunday morning and again early afternoon before the main tractor broke down. It was lucky that Danny King’s mechanic Richard was there who along is a tractor expert so along  with Mick Shepherd they managed to get it repaired so that the meeting could go ahead otherwise it would have had to be abandoned as it was drying so fast.

I do agree as they could not get the water into the track it went slicker than normal and also the track will be having some more shale put on it to create more of a dirt line and drive round the outside.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, flagrag said:

IainB- The track was watered on Sunday morning and again early afternoon before the main tractor broke down. It was lucky that Danny King’s mechanic Richard was there who along is a tractor expert so along  with Mick Shepherd they managed to get it repaired so that the meeting could go ahead otherwise it would have had to be abandoned as it was drying so fast.

I do agree as they could not get the water into the track it went slicker than normal and also the track will be having some more shale put on it to create more of a dirt line and drive round the outside.

OK, thanks for the full info... I only heard there was a delay as I was queuing up to get in.

Beats me why they never water the inside where all the dust comes from, something pretty specific to this country