British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Thursday 08/08/19. Premiership . Swindon. V Wolverhampton.

47 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you believe the theory that Leigh never had that killer instinct to be world champion Dog.? I dont buy that really to be around Ricko/ Jason and hold his own was a real feat Leigh was class on a bike awesome style.

Perhaps he was like Martin Ashby, too nice. Briggo had crap equipment but was ard as nails. Just reading the Lee Kilby book, superb.

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

Perhaps he was like Martin Ashby, too nice. Briggo had crap equipment but was ard as nails. Just reading the Lee Kilby book, superb.

Great picture in that book , of KILB a legend beating Briggo in heat 1 as a no 1 for Exeter at the Abbey.

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Still feel for Greavsie!!! he was never bitter though great striker.

I was reading the Bobby Moore biography, said a speedway rider who rode for Swindon and New Zealand beat Geoff into third! Greaves and Moore my faves from then

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Doris i have to put Doyley above Leigh, world champion in 2017 and he worked his socks off to get there.Leigh was a SUPERB team rider a joy to watch me personally would put Crump senior a tad higher but the Robins have been blessed with greats over the years.

Doyle above Leigh Adams?

No way for me.

Leigh was a banker for Swindon in practically every race home and away until his last season and always rode with such style.

Doyle is far less consistent and stylish, doesn’t have the same level of ability and application and he would never have won a world title against TR, NP and Crump in their heydays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great picture in that book , of KILB a legend beating Briggo in heat 1 as a no 1 for Exeter at the Abbey.

Dukey was saying to me last week about the run-ins Kilb and him had with Briggo.

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Top of the averages poor!!!

He’s not top of the averages, Batchelor has higher average than him! Doyle currently averaging 8.32 this season which is poor for a rider of his standard.

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 2

Well I reckon that's got to be the best meeting I've seen at The Abbey , the new tracks a massive improvement. Well done to Swindon but Wolves threw it away. No out and out number 1 is the problem. Decent crowd as well. Thought it was great seeing the Robins fans going bonkers in the last heat. A bit of passion from speedway fans. Who would have thought it

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Doyle above Leigh Adams?

No way for me.

Leigh was a banker for Swindon in practically every race home and away until his last season and always rode with such style.

Doyle is far less consistent and stylish, doesn’t have the same level of ability and application and he would never have won a world title against TR, NP and Crump in their heydays. 

You have to have application to be a world champion DC2 also now the Premiership is a after thought for him just extra revenue it is not really a priority.Doyle certainly never had as much ability as Leigh but his ability to comeback from horrendous injuries is second to none and his application determination is there in spades.

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Dukey was saying to me last week about the run-ins Kilb and him had with Briggo.

Briggo was not a team man he even admitted that what a rider and person though.

8 hours ago, Col said:

Wolves playoff hopes dashed?

They were the slimmest of slim chances before the match.

23 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

They were the slimmest of slim chances before the match.

Our next away match is even bigger think belle Vue running out of steam and if Swindon do us a favour on Monday then its game on again.We have to win at Belle vue sometime.

Overall, I would say Leigh was better than Jason -but for 2 years Jason was the best rider in the World and had a total determination to win the World Championship. I don't think Leigh could lay claim to either of those.

As a club number one, though, Leigh probably takes it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Well I reckon that's got to be the best meeting I've seen at The Abbey , the new tracks a massive improvement. Well done to Swindon but Wolves threw it away. No out and out number 1 is the problem. Decent crowd as well. Thought it was great seeing the Robins fans going bonkers in the last heat. A bit of passion from speedway fans. Who would have thought it

Nice to hear positive comments from neutrals. I think us Swindon fans had got used to the gate and go on the old track so one decent race a night would be an improvement!! But its been nice to see comments from visiting fans after the last 2 matches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Doyle above Leigh Adams?

No way for me.

LMAO i loved Leigh an absolutely fabulous rider but Doyley is an altogether different animal , but your talking utter garbage and undermining a world class rider! Irrelevant bringing up the TR and Crump era a while different kettle of fish compared to now where riders areriding more on the edge especially this year with the Poles Emil and Vaculik ....why are you even suggesting JD wouldn't compete against the previously mentioned when even Leigh only really came relatively close once? Little style or application are you registered blind?