British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Thursday 08/08/19. Premiership . Swindon. V Wolverhampton.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Correct in the Star includes all meetings including cup meetings and also include bonus points. 

Official green sheet averages are rolling averages so include meetings from 2018 too that’s why Batchelor not at number 1 currently.

In 2019 league meetings before last night Doyle 8.32, Batchelor 8.68.

The point is people have been comparing him to Adams, Briggs, Crump etc, those riders regularly had 10 point averages in lot tougher leagues.

Doyle is an 8 this year in a poor quality league.

Spot on. To challenge Leigh Adams, Doyle needs to attain a ten point average for ten consecutive seasons, and preferably be a one club rider.

He was very sharp in the GPs when he won the world championship in what was an “in between” year for contenders, generally with young riders on the way up but not at their peak and older riders on the way down, but he hasn’t been near that form in the GPs since.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Correct in the Star includes all meetings including cup meetings and also include bonus points. 

Official green sheet averages are rolling averages so include meetings from 2018 too that’s why Batchelor not at number 1 currently.

The point is people have been comparing him to Adams, Briggs, Crump etc, those riders regularly had 10 point averages in lot tougher leagues.

Can I just point out that riders going through the card every week and ending up with a high average usually puts them out of a job the following season.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Can I just point out that riders going through the card every week and ending up with a high average usually puts them out of a job the following season.

And Jason was nearly put out of work one year after being given a 13 point average.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Exactly. I wonder how many times he has won heat 15 this year when we have needed a result to confirm a win or a losing bonus point.

Most teams don't have a proper no1 anymore. Definitely harder in the early 2000 era. 

45 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Most teams don't have a proper no1 anymore. Definitely harder in the early 2000 era. 

Of course it was.  I'm just making the point that when we have needed him this year he has generally delivered. I certainly don't think he has been poor this season.

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

But riders who stay around six to seven points all season, and then towards the end drop back to nearer six, usually get a team place the year after because promoters think 'there is improvement in that average'..

They also get plenty of guest bookings throughout the season...;)

Heat 15 now on you tube under Swindon speedway. Make sure you get the correct heat 15 as the one from the first meeting is on there too. Swindon v Wolves Heat 15 8th August 2019 should allow you to find it.

6 minutes ago, Anzum said:

Heat 15 now on you tube under Swindon speedway. Make sure you get the correct heat 15 as the one from the first meeting is on there too. Swindon v Wolves Heat 15 8th August 2019 should allow you to find it.

This should be it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDLnuOhYw2o

On 8/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, Rob B said:

How to reply to this....i’ll Start with this, Doyle has done what a number 1 should have iMO, he’s won us points/meetings when needed. I’m not saying he’s anywhere near the riders mentioned in your post. Batch is scoring well & that because Doyle has taken the pressure away from him (again what a true number 1 does). Batch rides at 5 & partners the best rider in the league in a couple of races. Averages are deceiving so I think you need to look at the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

Sorry to bring this meeting up again but I meant to comment on this at the time. After watching a couple of heats from the back straight I made my way back to my mates round by the start for heat 15 .Walking around the first bends I noticed people leaving. Obviously to get off the car park. Why would you do that tho? Last heat decider which is usually the best race. Very odd

Were they actually leaving or just getting near to the exit ready to run for it as soon as heat 15 finished?  :D I know people do that at Leicester, also Coventry in the past. 

• Like 1

No ,they were actually leaving and cars driving off the car park. It took us about 10 minutes to get off the car park. I can understand some making a run for it but to miss a last heat decider seems bonkers to me

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bruno said:

No ,they were actually leaving and cars driving off the car park. It took us about 10 minutes to get off the car park. I can understand some making a run for it but to miss a last heat decider seems bonkers to me

They were probably Wolves fans when they realised Swindon had Doyle and Alpen off 1 and 3. The inevitability of it probably hit home. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1