British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Thursday 08/08/19. Premiership . Swindon. V Wolverhampton.

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

What a brilliant skip Doyley is, always rely on him. Hes up there with the Robins greats such as Briggo, Adams, Crumpie, Ashby, Kilby, Broady, etc.,

That’s what Somerset used to say

Had to miss last night due to lack of childcare cover! Knew it would be a close one if im not there. What was the crowd like?

Doyley has had a few low scores this season by his high standards but when he has been needed this season he has generally done the biz. Won a fair few heat 15s when we need to win the meeting or take a point. That will do me nicely for a number 1 and it's a massive difference from last season and that cost us.

3 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Had to miss last night due to lack of childcare cover! Knew it would be a close one if im not there. What was the crowd like?

Doyley has had a few low scores this season by his high standards but when he has been needed this season he has generally done the biz. Won a fair few heat 15s when we need to win the meeting or take a point. That will do me nicely for a number 1 and it's a massive difference from last season and that cost us.

Dog i recon between 11/1200???  but saying that i was 400 out on the Belle Vue meeting.!!!The positive's to come out of last night was Doyley is always there when the pressure is on and in heats 13/15 we are always generally very strong.Also Wolves reserves outscored ours by 14. - 3 and it still did not cost us i think Ellis Perks did have bike issues last night.

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

Not for me. He loses too many races to be compared to Leigh Adams.

Leigh was also superb, a better team rider, but never led Robins to title, or was world champ.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob B said:

A good score tonight but he has been poor generally, should be scoring like that every match in this standard of league and should have a high 9 point average.

Top of the averages poor!!!

5 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Leigh was also superb, a better team rider, but never led Robins to title, or was world champ.

Doris i have to put Doyley above Leigh, world champion in 2017 and he worked his socks off to get there.Leigh was a SUPERB team rider a joy to watch me personally would put Crump senior a tad higher but the Robins have been blessed with greats over the years.

• Like 1

No one will ever replace Adams as my favourite Robin of all time. But Doyley led us to the title in 2017 with a top performance in the away leg at Wolves. This year he has won us numerous points. He's doing a top job in my eyes and long may it continue.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Doris i have to put Doyley above Leigh, world champion in 2017 and he worked his socks off to get there.Leigh was a SUPERB team rider a joy to watch me personally would put Crump senior a tad higher but the Robins have been blessed with greats over the years.

Briggo was the best. We also were lucky to see Darce at number1 for a short time as well.

4 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Briggo was the best. We also were lucky to see Darce at number1 for a short time as well.

Yes Darcy was a real treat, a pleasure to watch a real talent Briggo is the best in my eyes.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Yes Darcy was a real treat, a pleasure to watch a real talent Briggo is the best in my eyes.

I don't think any other Robins rider has come second in BBC sports personality of the year! 

20 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

No one will ever replace Adams as my favourite Robin of all time. But Doyley led us to the title in 2017 with a top performance in the away leg at Wolves. This year he has won us numerous points. He's doing a top job in my eyes and long may it continue.

Do you believe the theory that Leigh never had that killer instinct to be world champion Dog.? I dont buy that really to be around Ricko/ Jason and hold his own was a real feat Leigh was class on a bike awesome style.

4 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I don't think any other Robins rider has come second in BBC sports personality of the year! 

Second behind Mary Rand in 1964 and second to Bobby Moore in 1966 a great achievement.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you believe the theory that Leigh never had that killer instinct to be world champion Dog.? I dont buy that really to be around Ricko/ Jason and hold his own was a real feat Leigh was class on a bike awesome style.

Its hard to say really. TR and JC were absolute class and that made it tough for Leigh to win the world title. But at the same time do you ever remember him having incidents like Nicki P where he was hard on people and got away with it. Maybe he was lacking a bit in that way. But what a legend!!! Seeing him every week at the Abbey was an absolute treat.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Second behind Mary Rand in 1964 and second to Bobby Moore in 1966 a great achievement.

And Geoff Hurst was third!

Just now, thecoombdog said:

Its hard to say really. TR and JC were absolute class and that made it tough for Leigh to win the world title. But at the same time do you ever remember him having incidents like Nicki P where he was hard on people and got away with it. Maybe he was lacking a bit in that way. But what a legend!!! Seeing him every week at the Abbey was an absolute treat.

He was worth the entrance money alone just to see Leigh ride  everyweek Phil Crump was the same mainly because he rode in some weak Robins teams.When i look and remember  that Nicki won three titles and the likes  Warren, Sigalos, Jessup, Adams ( ect) won zero titles it makes you think a bit.