British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

Would like to see Fricke get through - he put so much into his opportunity in this years GP's he deserves qualification, if he doesnt qualify he should get a pick for next year but thats less certain.

ALso Vaculik - if he keeps up his GP season he will be in anyway, but just in case of injuries he needs a banker.  He should also get a pic for next year if injured between now and end of season, but thats not a cert.

NKI and Zagar are always triers, would love to see them consistently on good form - both racers.

Mikel Mikelsen - think was runner up under 21 world championship few years ago (5 or 6?). A slow burner who seems to be hotting up. I would not be upset if he qualified. 

This may have been covered previously but no Poles? All eliminated or did they not enter?

On 8/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Cj69 said:

Fricke/Lambert apart don't see anyone in that line up that will add anything to the GP line up.  Most had their chance and surprised to see no Poles in line up.  

Col,   see answers on page 1, post no 4 onward.

IMO riders from the previous season standings 9-15 should NOT be allowed to qualify via the Challenge. They've failed so give others a chance! That said, Vaculik will initially deprive another if he does well as already pretty much guaranteed to finish top-8 this season

2 hours ago, KrisB said:

IMO riders from the previous season standings 9-15 should NOT be allowed to qualify via the Challenge. They've failed so give others a chance! That said, Vaculik will initially deprive another if he does well as already pretty much guaranteed to finish top-8 this season

Problem with that is the Challenge qualifiers and final is usually held well before the final GP standings are known.

Vaculik is not pretty much guaranteed to finish top 8. There are 4 rounds left, an injury in his next meeting could easily take him out of the GPS, and it doesn’t take missing many meetings to take a rider out of top 8....... Tai only missed two meetings and look how far behind he is.

And surely we do want to see the top 15 in the GP series. That may include 9-15 finishers being in contention.  Couple years ago the cry was give Malik and Lebedevs a chance. Sure they were doing ok then, Lebedevs was Euro champion 2017. But what are they doing now, good riders yes, capable of beating the best on a good day, but their good days are not consistent enough to be classed as GP riders, IMO..

It's a tricky one I suppose. I've been an advocate of not allowing the bottom 9-15 in the challenge before, but at the end of the day they probably are amongst the world's top riders. Just gets a bit tiresome watching Zagar, Iversen and Lindback have 1 good meeting in 5, with no genuine hope of ever becoming World Champion.

11 hours ago, JCookie said:

It's a tricky one I suppose. I've been an advocate of not allowing the bottom 9-15 in the challenge before, but at the end of the day they probably are amongst the world's top riders. Just gets a bit tiresome watching Zagar, Iversen and Lindback have 1 good meeting in 5, with no genuine hope of ever becoming World Champion.

Yes, those 3 in particular just make up the numbers.....

49 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Wonder if Robert Lambert will make his comeback in this  massive meeting ??

Probably his only strong chance of getting a GP slot for next year.   I think he has been outclassed this year (as GP season reserves) by Fricke.  There again, is anyone outside of the GP's setting the tracks on fire to warrant a pick   8 qualifiers + 3 from Challenge + Tai + Gregg....... that leaves 2 spots, Fricke for one.   All depends who qualifies from Challenge, if a rider qualifies from Challenge then finishes in top 8 gives another spot available.  So maybe chance for Lambert, but not a cert IMO. Another year wait for Lambert I think would do him good.

20 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Probably his only strong chance of getting a GP slot for next year.   I think he has been outclassed this year (as GP season reserves) by Fricke.  There again, is anyone outside of the GP's setting the tracks on fire to warrant a pick   8 qualifiers + 3 from Challenge + Tai + Gregg....... that leaves 2 spots, Fricke for one.   All depends who qualifies from Challenge, if a rider qualifies from Challenge then finishes in top 8 gives another spot available.  So maybe chance for Lambert, but not a cert IMO. Another year wait for Lambert I think would do him good.

If a rider qualifies from the challenge and finishes in the top 8 in the GP standings then 4th in the challenge gets in- not another wildcard.

Edited by racers and royals

On 8/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, Col said:

This may have been covered previously but no Poles? All eliminated or did they not enter?

Some Top riders had bit of falling out with Polish authorities ( over a dodgy track I think,they refused to ride).So they never got picked for challenge.

48 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

WHAT about Doyle if he stays outside the top eight?

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

What is Tai Greg & Doyle all need Wildcards?

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Forgot about him. Another one i the pot then.