British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

52 minutes ago, Gavan said:

But on there day capable of winning a gp or at least making a final

You are not going to get 16 riders all capable of being world champion.............never had that under the old system. 

There will always be also rans struggling............

I'd argue that's not the case, given that their 17 combined attempts this year have yielded one final place and even then it was a last place.

I think you'd struggle to find 15 riders capable of winning a world title, but I don't think it'd be beyond the realms of possibility to find 15 riders capable of winning a GP. Fricke, for example, is a point behind Zagar and four behind Iversen, despite having raced one less round. He's also had two double figure scores, so straight away he'd be an improvement. 

32 minutes ago, Mark said:

Agree with you.  We have rarely seen 2 GP's won by the same rider over the last 2 seasons as it's so tough to win a GP..  The talent spread is large   But someone has to finish bottom.  

Agree ,it’s hard to pick a race winner in the Heats this year never Mind the GP winner,There will always be good riders missing out but that’s how the World Champs has always been.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I UNDERSTAND that the weather forecast is horrific...

Oh dear... Running a meeting like this in dodgy conditions is the worst possible option as it almost guarantees someone unusual having a good night. 

3 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Oh dear... Running a meeting like this in dodgy conditions is the worst possible option as it almost guarantees someone unusual having a good night. 

If its wet / greasy i would make Smoli one of the favourites. Not the best on show but a very adaptable rider who really knows his setups.

Christina Turnbull is the referee. Hope she has a good one.

Oh dodgy weather and a lady referee what could go wrong !!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Neila said:

Oh dodgy weather and a lady referee what could go wrong !!

I know it's the middle of summer, but you are skating on thin ice :o

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I UNDERSTAND that the weather forecast is horrific...

Maybe you'll know Phil, but why is this meeting never televised? :unsure:

I'd have thought there would be more than enough interest and a tv company wanting to show it?

2 hours ago, Shockster said:

Maybe you'll know Phil, but why is this meeting never televised? :unsure:

I'd have thought there would be more than enough interest and a tv company wanting to show it?

SHOW it yes ... but go to all the expense of providing the pictures, no

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SHOW it yes ... but go to all the expense of providing the pictures, no

Then perhaps it should be included in the next GP TV contract, as a service to the loyal followers of the sport. 

If we can have meaningless practice sessions televised (I know the cost is marginal with the cameras already there), there must be a way to provide the pictures and show one of the most significant individual meetings of the season outside the GP itself. One Sport can get their irrelevant meetings televised, even if in Britain we're supposed to be grateful to see more than a couple of races. 

As for those practice sessions, the hype is truly at desperation level and was beautifully punctured by Woffinden at the last GP. Practice timings work in a sport with grid positions or where timing is essential . Neither have ever been relevant in speedway, well unless you include 'fastest second' from the days of second half Rider of the Night events.....

Yes it's good for the sport to get an extra hour. The interviews are the only point of interest to me. I'd rather have three hours of highly significant racing tonight, involving the only stats that matter in speedway, 3 for a win, 2 for second, 1 for third. 

EDIT: Secondary thought: Surely Dorna are there for FIM TV? They have been in the past so if that is still the case the question of finding someone to televise it would be academic. The FIM TV highlights package used to be sold to channels such as Motors TV, like their ice racing coverage. 

#;

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Then perhaps it should be included in the next GP TV contract, as a service to the loyal followers of the sport. 

If we can have meaningless practice sessions televised (I know the cost is marginal with the cameras already there), there must be a way to provide the pictures and show one of the most significant individual meetings of the season outside the GP itself. One Sport can get their irrelevant meetings televised, even if in Britain we're supposed to be grateful to see more than a couple of races. 

As for those practice sessions, the hype is truly at desperation level and was beautifully punctured by Woffinden at the last GP. Practice timings work in a sport with grid positions or where timing is essential . Neither have ever been relevant in speedway, well unless you include 'fastest second' from the days of second half Rider of the Night events.....

Yes it's good for the sport to get an extra hour. The interviews are the only point of interest to me. I'd rather have three hours of highly significant racing tonight, involving the only stats that matter in speedway, 3 for a win, 2 for second, 1 for third. 

I suppose the needs of the staging club have to be considered alongside the consideration for fans around the world. I`m not sure how the contract for staging the meeting is framed- if the track are paying the FIM a substantial fee for the privilege then live TV of the meeting would effect the crowd and possibly make the difference between profit and loss. 

Think it will be zarger iversen and vaculik .hoping for fricke Michelson and lambert