British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

1 minute ago, Losthammer said:

I don’t like Laguta’s aggressive riding, he doesn’t leave racing room, and also barges his way through regardless of the possible consequences. Like Tai getting badly hurt when Laguta left him nowhere to go.

True, but he's great to watch. I miss Nicki for the same reason.

I'm fed up of watching riders like Iversen and Zager. They don't add anything anymore imo.

• Like 1

Well done Max Fricke, great to have some permanent new blood in. Hopefully Robert Lambert can follow suit this time next year. 

1 minute ago, Terry said:

True, but he's great to watch. I miss Nicki for the same reason.

I'm fed up of watching riders like Iversen and Zager. They don't add anything anymore imo.

Iversen isn’t the same rider of a few seasons ago. He doesn’t seem as fast or competitive. Zagar can be brilliant, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Nicki would be a good addition again, he’s still doing the business in the leagues, though not as dominant it could be argued.

• Like 1

Just now, Bagpuss said:

Well done Max Fricke, great to have some permanent new blood in. Hopefully Robert Lambert can follow suit this time next year. 

IF he can get back to the form he showed in 2018 then yes

Glad max fricke made it . He s gone up a gear this year  moved onward and upwards . No surprised by zager and iversen they know what's needed at this level 

Super disappointing duo to make it through. Fricke, ok, but the other two? Big yawn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. ...

I also agree with what you've said.

9 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

But that would give us Thomsen, Aspgren and Loktaev instead of Zagar, Iversen and Doyle. Is that really the way to improve the GP series?

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 5

Of course current GP riders should be allowed in the Challenge. It’s only top 8 in the GPS that are guaranteed a place the next year. It’s up to those riders outside of this years 15 to prove themselves worthy of a spot next year, and that means beating those 9-15. If they can’t do that it means they really in position 16 and downward.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But that would give us Thomsen, Aspgren and Loktaev instead of Zagar, Iversen and Doyle. Is that really the way to improve the GP series?

Cannot be any worse than having the same old faces who are never going to make it. Might just as well have Harris in it and a few others who are well passed the sell by date. Mix it up and put some new names in the frame.  Zagar and Iversen have had the chances and do not deserve the back door route. Doyle is a different issue but in general the whole system is flawed. It needs a revamp to have the greatest number of riders eligible to make to the worlds number one and give hope to new talent no just the slap rans.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

IMO no.  Let them sit out a year or as for situations like Tai's there is wild card. 

57 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Echo those thoughts ...but I can’t believe what I have been reading on the unofficial Belle Vue fans fb page... Some fans complaining that he actually rode in the meeting at all because he missed their 2 league defeats this week .. ...unbelievable 

1 hour ago, Losthammer said:

Iversen isn’t the same rider of a few seasons ago. He doesn’t seem as fast or competitive. Zagar can be brilliant, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Nicki would be a good addition again, he’s still doing the business in the leagues, though not as dominant it could be argued.

So you said you don't want Laguta, because he's too aggressive, but you're quite happy to have Pedersen back? Whats the difference with either?

btw I like both riders.

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

Echo those thoughts ...but I can’t believe what I have been reading on the unofficial Belle Vue fans fb page... Some fans complaining that he actually rode in the meeting at all because he missed their 2 league defeats this week .. ...unbelievable 

Only justified if he relapses and misses the next BV meeting.....