Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

2 hours ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

So you dont want the top 16 riders in the GPs then?

• Like 3

Oh yawn Zagar and iversen again. 

Top 16 in the GPs Don’t make me laugh - there are better Polish riders not in the 2020  GP ...... only GB rep might be Woffinden if he gets a wildcard. 

So only the wildcards will make any difference to the line up in 2020. ( other than Max Fricke. 

About time they raced these meetings on proper, regularly used Speedway Tracks . 

Still next weeks GP is on a long track circuit in Germany never used for regular speedway. 

2 hours ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

By the same token,Should Bjerre ,Harris and Cook be allowed to enter again they have been there before and would add nothing to the GPS if they qualify.Imo everybody has the right to try and qualify again and if the do fair play to them

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Top 16 in the GPs Don’t make me laugh - there are better Polish riders not in the 2020  GP ...... only GB rep might be Woffinden if he gets a wildcard. 

So only the wildcards will make any difference to the line up in 2020. ( other than Max Fricke. 

About time they raced these meetings on proper, regularly used Speedway Tracks . 

Still next weeks GP is on a long track circuit in Germany never used for regular speedway. 

The only Pole that I can think of that isn't in the series but can definitely be considered as in the top 16 in the World just now is Piotr Pawlicki. Unfortunately the PZM appeared to decided to punish the better riders, like Piotr, for standing up for rider safety earlier in the year, so he didn't get a chance in the qualifiers.

Drabik is probably close to that level as well, but not quite there yet. He also missed out because of the PZM decisions this year.

I've never been convinced that it's a good idea to hold a 1 off meeting to select qualifiers for the GP series, and holding them at rarely used venues that allow for very little racing is definitely a poor choice, so I agree with you there.

However, I think you might be getting a bit confused about the venue for next weeks GP. At 314m, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a long track, and it definitely holds a few speedway meetings every year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Teterow speedway track is definitely NOT a long track circuit. The long track is VERY long and unusual even for a long track in that it has slight hills and right hand bends.  The speedway track is next to it.  All of us get info wrong sometimes, but that comment of yours is so way out.

Go to google maps, type in “Teterow Speedway Germany” and you will see booths tracks.

Edited by OveFundinFan

Lol Teterow is a normal speedway track. Pretty dull but a speedway track.

7 hours ago, HenryW said:

However, I think you might be getting a bit confused about the venue for next weeks GP. At 314m, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a long track, and it definitely holds a few speedway meetings every year.

Indeed . Adam Ellis even won the meeting over the Whitsun Holiday weekend earlier in the season

Winning a meeting with 11 points dont happen everyday. Anyone remember a winning total less than 11?

13 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Winning a meeting with 11 points dont happen everyday. Anyone remember a winning total less than 11?

Hard to imagine, but for an example of a rider winning on 11 without a run-off consider Kasprzak's 2012 GP Challenge victory

5 riders tied on 10, our old friends Zagar and Iversen taking the other two qualifying spots.

and where did this meeting take place?  .. Gorican!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the sgp qualifying system. Just because Zagar and NKI aren't winning SGPs they are in my opinion still in the top 16 in the world. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, HenryW said:

The only Pole that I can think of that isn't in the series but can definitely be considered as in the top 16 in the World just now is Piotr Pawlicki. Unfortunately the PZM appeared to decided to punish the better riders, like Piotr, for standing up for rider safety earlier in the year, so he didn't get a chance in the qualifiers.

What happened with the rider safety issue? 

Pawlicki is such an odd rider. You sometimes watch him and he looks like a future world champion. Some of the early season stuff in Poland he looked incredible. 

3 minutes ago, James Carter said:

What happened with the rider safety issue? 

Pawlicki is such an odd rider. You sometimes watch him and he looks like a future world champion. Some of the early season stuff in Poland he looked incredible. 

Some of the senior riders refused to race at one of the first league matches ,because they had issues with  fence ect. and the Pole Fed did not put them forward for challenge.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Some of the senior riders refused to race at one of the first league matches ,because they had issues with  fence ect. and the Pole Fed did not put them forward for challenge.

Think it was the Golden Helmet final that was supposed to determine the qp quali riders. With the meeting  in Poznan never happening due to a safety issue with the track, the PZM allocated the top semi finalists to the qualies. Most top riders were seeded to the final, never rode so didnt get slots either...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave_minall said:

A) he earned his rightful place in the GP therefore yes, he can. 

B) you do realise why he's not been in the GPs this year right? Show some compassion. 

Right don't twist what I fkn say, I have not said one thing about his wife or the situation he is in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Think it was the Golden Helmet final that was supposed to determine the qp quali riders. With the meeting  in Poznan never happening due to a safety issue with the track, the PZM allocated the top semi finalists to the qualies. Most top riders were seeded to the final, never rode so didnt get slots either...

Correct, but it was Pila (not Poznan)