British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

9 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Right don't twist what I fkn say, I have not said one thing about his wife or the situation he is in.

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

You're totally right, what a nonsense speedway is.

It should be like football where the top 8 sides in the World Cup are seeded to the next event.. All the others aren't allowed to qualify as they had their chance. 

Speedway fans... I despair at times.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 5

Once upon a time the bottom half of the series automatically went into the challenge. As others have said if you exclude GP riders you risk weakening the field for the series. I too would like to see some fresh faces in the GPs but if they can’t beat the old guard in the qualifying events then perhaps they aren’t ready or good enough to get there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Whoever is in the series it's almost certain there will be 2/3/4 riders who are adrift over the course of the season and don't really look like having a chance of winning a GP. I agree that it would be nice to see some new faces but if the likes of Zagar and Iversen qualify then they deserve to be there. Would be different if they were being given a wildcard year after year but if they are proving themselves as the best of the rest in these meetings then fair enough.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Whoever is in the series it's almost certain there will be 2/3/4 riders who are adrift over the course of the season and don't really look like having a chance of winning a GP. I agree that it would be nice to see some new faces but if the likes of Zagar and Iversen qualify then they deserve to be there. Would be different if they were being given a wildcard year after year but if they are proving themselves as the best of the rest in these meetings then fair enough.

You're spot on.. point is, even at this stage of their careers, both Zagar and Iversen are capable of winning a GP.

• Like 4

You have a Competition with clearly defined rules so you have to accept the winners.

If NK-I and Zagar qualify on merit, fair play to them.

I'd rather them qualify on merit than see the likely "wild card" handed to Hancock as an example.

Wild cards for 2020 should be stacked in favour of some of the younger / newer guard coming up

12 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Echo those thoughts ...but I can’t believe what I have been reading on the unofficial Belle Vue fans fb page... Some fans complaining that he actually rode in the meeting at all because he missed their 2 league defeats this week .. ...unbelievable 

Every team has it's share of idiot fans.  There were only one or two fans making those comments and they were quickly put right by others. 

Congratulations to Max on qualifying.  It's a shame that meetings like this are not held on tracks that give riders better opportunities to race. 

• Like 1

Kenneth Bierre is my pick for a wildcard, has had a very good and consistant season in Poland, Sweden, UK leagues and current Danish champion. Showing he is back on top form. Had a flying start last night 8 points from first three heats and engine failure in final heat a touch unlucky but thats speedway.   

worthy addition to the series in my opinion.who seems to have slipped under the radar

Edited by Armchairfan

Made the trip to Gorican. Superb stadium, the best speedway specific stadium Ive been to outside of Torun or Wroclaw. The presentation was absolutely great it really is a very nice set up. Took us just shy of an hour to get back to Zagreb after the meeting. I’d much rather see GPs held there than some of the current venues.

Not that I want him in the GPs but have to feel tremendously sorry for Smolenski. Woulda been on at least 10 if it wasn’t for the flag mans error. Also was absolutely choked for poor Pontus Aspgren. Had his easiest ride of the night and was set to win the meeting and an engine failure put paid to that. sport can be very cruel. 

• Like 1

Cant believe the thought process on here of some people

Iversen and Zagar on their day capable of winning a gp 

They got through on merit.

Aspgren would have made it maybe but for engine failure. If he had he would have deserved it, but would he have been better in the series then Zagar or Iversen? Doubtful

Smolinski as well was close and Loktaev........would they enhance it? Unlikely

At the end of the day the other riders had every chance and were not good enough its simple really

Seem to remember the clamour for Lindgren to be dropped out a few years back and look at him now

Wasnt long ago people wanted Milik and Lebedevs.......how they have seen their careers go in decline

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Cant believe the thought process on here of some people

Iversen and Zagar on their day capable of winning a gp 

They got through on merit.

Aspgren would have made it maybe but for engine failure. If he had he would have deserved it, but would he have been better in the series then Zagar or Iversen? Doubtful

Smolinski as well was close and Loktaev........would they enhance it? Unlikely

At the end of the day the other riders had every chance and were not good enough its simple really

Seem to remember the clamour for Lindgren to be dropped out a few years back and look at him now

Wasnt long ago people wanted Milik and Lebedevs.......how they have seen their careers go in decline

That’s all pretty spot on 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

Codswallop.   The Challenge is a legimate way of finding the top 15 riders in the world and should be open to every rider.    Those who finish 1-2-3 deserve there spot in next years series.

Riders do not know if they are performing poorly in the GP series before competiting in challenge qualifiers so your theory is flawed.    Vaculik doing very well, Iversen not far off top 8 so Zagar the only one in danger but he is only 13pts off top 8.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

You're spot on.. point is, even at this stage of their careers, both Zagar and Iversen are capable of winning a GP.

It would be nice if they could start showing it then.