British Speedway Forum
OveFundinFan

Reshape existing tracks

Swindon has reshaped recently, speedway track on inside of dog track, and comments made suggest it is a big improvement.

Are their any other British tracks that could be changed for the better within the existing parameters?

Seem to re-call hearing a few years ago, that Neil Machin wanted to cut in to the centre green at Sheffield to make it wider, but was refused permission. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Swindon has reshaped recently, speedway track on inside of dog track, and comments made suggest it is a big improvement.

Are their any other British tracks that could be changed for the better within the existing parameters?

The Swindon revamp apparently cost 50k so can't see many clubs doing it even if they were allowed to by the stadium owners.

• Like 2

King's Lynn definitely needs a width adjustment. ½ meter on the bends with more banking would make a significant difference to start. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

King's Lynn definitely needs a width adjustment. ½ meter on the bends with more banking would make a significant difference to start. 

I think the shape of Kings Lynn is fine, it’s the way it’s prepared and type of dirt used that is the problem.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I think the shape of Kings Lynn is fine, it’s the way it’s prepared and type of dirt used that is the problem.

Primarily yes but with a redundant centre of concrete the shape could be made even better as Daniel says. 

But you are right, the right kind of dirt should be the first alteration. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Primarily yes but with a redundant centre of concrete the shape could be made even better as Daniel says. 

But you are right, the right kind of dirt should be the first alteration. 

Everyone knows what needs to be done but we have a stubborn owner. 

Buster once had a dream that the AFA would be a permanent home to British Speedway with GP's, World Cups etc but the National Speedway Stadium has put paid to that dream. I believe stadium development will now stall completely. 

At the end of the day, we know the track material will not change and neither will the track shape unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

The Swindon revamp apparently cost 50k so can't see many clubs doing it even if they were allowed to by the stadium owners.

Some clubs will pay their Number Ones more than that for just one season if the stories from many 'inside the sport' are accurate..

Maybe there needs to be a couple of years plan where clubs don't pay out such money but use this investment to bring their circuits up to the standards that suit the bikes more..?

It currently forks out hundreds of thousands to riders every single year, yet often the spectacle is let down by the very 'canvas' these 'artists' have to use..

Get the track right and it could deliver years and years of return on that investment..

A much higher return maybe than the short term outlay to certain riders year on year who don't actually have any real impact, in the main,  on crowd levels...

Many of whom, given the way the sport is ran, might not even be riding for the same club the year after..

As is seen at certain tracks..

Give these lads the platform on which to perform and they truly do deliver an awesome spectacle..

Maybe time to invest in the infrastructure more rather than the employees?

A bit of short term pain for the long term gain..

Years ago Trelawney had a great name as a race track, what was that like, I unfortunately never went to it??

On 8/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, thecoombdog said:

SO, the Swindon revamp cost £50k.  Logically, the stadium is not going to be swallowed up by housing then, no one in there right mind would spend £50k knowing the track was going to close. That’s good news, isn’t it?

4 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

SO, the Swindon revamp cost £50k.  Logically, the stadium is not going to be swallowed up by housing then, no one in there right mind would spend £50k knowing the track was going to close. That’s good news, isn’t it?

That is a great way at looking at it Ove i am quite happy to stay as it is a new stadium is not a must for me.The track has changed for the better and i would like to think in years to come the track would be considered .For  the meetings of the calibre of the BLRC, British semi final's ( ect).

Edited by Sidney the robin

4 hours ago, Trees said:

Years ago Trelawney had a great name as a race track, what was that like, I unfortunately never went to it??

I only went once and it was brilliant. Just going to the stadium was a experience. Like being on the moon with the stadium a oasis 

• Like 4

No doubt some race circuits could do with a revamp, but also lets not forget the actual stadiums, which are in many cases a disgrace and not able to even provide accetable  (safe) viewing from around all of the track. Until this factor is addressed the sport can forget about attracting a significant increase in followers (gee theres no where for them to stand let alone sit) who are now use to watching pro sports such as Rugby, football & cricket at facilities which put speedway/dog tracks to shame.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

No doubt some race circuits could do with a revamp, but also lets not forget the actual stadiums, which are in many cases a disgrace and not able to even provide accetable  (safe) viewing from around all of the track. Until this factor is addressed the sport can forget about attracting a significant increase in followers (gee theres no where for them to stand let alone sit) who are now use to watching pro sports such as Rugby, football & cricket at facilities which put speedway/dog tracks to shame.

Sadly there used to be many stadiums that had seating and good terraces but Wimbledon, West Ham, Coventry, New Cross, Hackney, Leicester, Walthamstow and Crayford have all been built on by developers. The tragic part about it is that the public expect good standard stadia, quite rightly but in many cases they are the very stadia that get knocked down. 

8 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You would hope so but I just get the impression the stadium owners know speedway is on its @rse in this country and the longer they can delay it then the more likely it is there won't be a decent level of speedway left in this country and it will be a lot easier to sell the land for housing.