British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Brummies v Eagles 07/08

I've finally seen a home win.  Czestochowians  will be relieved.

If you add up eastbournes results from ht 12 to ht15 away  from home this season it will be positively frightening viewing if you support the eagles, they just collapse

James Shanes, take a bow. 3 from the back wins including heat 15 & race of the night with Newman in heat 12.

Didn't think this meeting was as entertaining as the Glasgow visit to Perry Barr.

Jenkins won't be averaging much more than 2.00 on that form, very slow, just not as slow as Edwards.

The rest of the Brummies did their job, life is much better with 3 rather than 1 heat leader.

Newman for me was the pick of the visitors, would have put him heat 15 instead of Lawson or Kennett who were decent when they gated but never looked like making a pass. Lawson a bit naughy, chopping Castagna's nose off down the back straight lap 1 in heat 9 when the Italian looked to have the momentum to take the lead.

I thought Kerr was disappointing. Wood won heat 1 but then did nothing.

Track very thirsty, oddly dusty as bend 3 turns into bend 4.

Thinking back, Kennett did pass Castagna in heat 5 but only because the Italian was riding too conservatively narrow.

Bit of a rut on the inside in the middle of turn 4 seemed to develop, caught a few riders out at some point tonight.

• Like 1

Heard they had relaid the track?

Whatever they have done it needs digging back up and blading.

Worst I have seen it for many a year, holes on both bends, very wavy and riders picking up all over the place

Shanes found a magical line inside of 2nd bend 3-4 times but not a great advert for Speedway and just grateful both sides seemed to get away intact although reported Wood had some kind of back injury although he did not seem to fall.

Spoke to Tero and Adam after meeting and both agreed it was very bumpy and didn't help their respective injuries.

Home win but a shallow one

Track needs a bit more clay to blind it & hold water, it was neither warm nor windy tonight but was drying out quick.

• Like 1

Great win!

As previously mentioned, the track needs somebody on it who knows what they're doing ?

Garrity was 'again' brilliant value for money....but Rider of the Night has to go to James Shanes.... how he got passed Lawson in heat 15 was fabulous!

I still think the manager needs a little education when it comes to tactics ?

I know we won and it doesn't matter now...but it could've been different?

My suggestion: Heat 10 with the scores 28-26 Agertoft should've been replaced by Jenkins (both had no chance of beating Newman/Kerr) that would've completed Jenkins 3 rides...

Which would've allowed 'Shanes' to take Jenkins place in Heat 11 whereby he'd of easily beat Wood/Bowtell  ?

Well done to Aarnio...looked good when he made the gate!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

While Shanes was riding well and we were treated to a decent race between the Brummies captain & Kerr, I thought it harsh taking Jenkins out of heat 14.  Brummies only needed a 2-4 to secure the win and there was no way Castagna would have been beaten by Edwards.  Jenkins might have beaten Edwards also.  Jenkins is not going to get any better without competitive laps.

2 minutes ago, Col said:

While Shanes was riding well and we were treated to a decent race between the Brummies captain & Kerr, I thought it harsh taking Jenkins out of heat 14.  Brummies only needed a 2-4 to secure the win and there was no way Castagna would have been beaten by Edwards.  Jenkins might have beaten Edwards also.  Jenkins is not going to get any better without competitive laps.

I have to disagree with you there Col.....? we needed the points to prevent Eastbourne getting an away point?

Shanes was the right call imo.......

Eastbourne still had a chance of picking something up going in to Heat 15 .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I have to disagree with you there Col.....? we needed the points to prevent Eastbourne getting an away point?

Shanes was the right call imo.......

Eastbourne still had a chance of picking something up going in to Heat 15 .

No brainer for me Shanes had to go in Heat 15 as he deserved it.

Not sure what denying Eastbourne a point or not has to do with it as neither of us have any chance of making Play Offs?

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

Not sure what denying Eastbourne a point or not has to do with it as neither of us have any chance of making Play Offs?

Agreed.  Unless it is just wooden spoon avoidance.

21 minutes ago, HGould said:

No brainer for me Shanes had to go in Heat 15 as he deserved it.

A fair point made...be interesting to hear what other fans (from all clubs) think about this point?

Develop a young reserve, or take ALL match points? (when there's nothing but pride to race for ....)

Edited by GiveusaB

Unfortunately the jeopardy of the away team gaining an away point and in the process denying the home team a third point was removed by Jon Cook et al a few years ago, completely bonkers idea as the original system worked well and led to more last heat cliff hangers. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Unfortunately the jeopardy of the away team gaining an away point and in the process denying the home team a third point was removed by Jon Cook et al a few years ago, completely bonkers idea as the original system worked well and led to more last heat cliff hangers. 

Paulco, Tsunami and I were agreed on the very same thing at Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 2

I always fancied a home win for the Brummies last night, especially against the leagues worst travellers. The dropping of Ben Morley has definitely weakened the Eagles, although it could benefit them in the long term. The track was far too dry at the start, and bumpy in places, but it still managed to produce some decent racing.