British Speedway Forum
idh

Somerset v Newcastle 07/08/19

28 minutes ago, leander said:

There was a 45 min torrential downpour at 1:00pm. The A38 outside the stadium looked like a river. I was thinking I've come all this way for nothing. Yet at 6:45pm they were watering the track with the sun shining but some ominous dark clouds threatening all around the stadium. I was surprised how dry it had become by 7:30pm.

Lasse blew up his number 1 engine on the stand during the warm-up. In his 2nd ride Rory Schlein put him in the back straight fence though he didn't fall off. In his 3rd he was inadvertently stuffed by Matty who hit a rut on bend 3 and straightened up across the front of him. I've no complaints about Lasse's or any of the diamonds performance. Unfortunately we were 6 points up after heat 6 which allowed the rebels to use a tac sub in place of out of touch Luke Harris. That made the difference between us getting a point (which we deserved) or not. In the bar afterwards, during the rider presentation/speeches, Rory Schlein said "Somerset got out of jail tonight".

Nice new Travel lodge 5 minute walk from the stadium now. (You can see the track from the bedroom windows if you are on the right side).

Who can recall lasses statement at the start of the season didn't he say that he would emulate brother Kenneth and win the league with the diamonds hahahaha,,, 

8 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Who can recall lasses statement at the start of the season didn't he say that he would emulate brother Kenneth and win the league with the diamonds hahahaha,,, 

By when tho ??? ;)

• Haha 1

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, leander said:

There was a 45 min torrential downpour at 1:00pm. The A38 outside the stadium looked like a river. I was thinking I've come all this way for nothing. Yet at 6:45pm they were watering the track with the sun shining but some ominous dark clouds threatening all around the stadium. I was surprised how dry it had become by 7:30pm.

Lasse blew up his number 1 engine on the stand during the warm-up. In his 2nd ride Rory Schlein put him in the back straight fence though he didn't fall off. In his 3rd he was inadvertently stuffed by Matty who hit a rut on bend 3 and straightened up across the front of him. I've no complaints about Lasse's or any of the diamonds performance. Unfortunately we were 6 points up after heat 6 which allowed the rebels to use a tac sub in place of out of touch Luke Harris. That made the difference between us getting a point (which we deserved) or not. In the bar afterwards, during the rider presentation/speeches, Rory Schlein said "Somerset got out of jail tonight".

Nice new Travel lodge 5 minute walk from the stadium now. (You can see the track from the bedroom windows if you are on the right side).

Well it just goes to show about points when you're at the track watching events. I was not aware that he blew his best engine in the warm up. I had to leave the pits by then!

Guest Loose Diamond
2 hours ago, leander said:

They did pretty good. Scored more points than I thought they would. But also Somerset scoring affected by Nick Morris's first 2 rides and Schlein's retirement in his first ride. But definitely harsh on the Diamonds the the end when Steve could not hang onto second place in heat 15 that would have won us a point.

1 hour ago, Loose Diamond said:

They did pretty good. Scored more points than I thought they would. But also Somerset scoring affected by Nick Morris's first 2 rides and Schlein's retirement in his first ride. But definitely harsh on the Diamonds the the end when Steve could not hang onto second place in heat 15 that would have won us a point.

Tbh we done ok at Somerset I suppose our stand in manager can count himself a tad unlucky !! Let's hope our other stand in manager gets a result tomorrow night weather permitting... 

4 hours ago, leander said:

That will be the Burnham breeze for you!

The weather is so changeable down here as about 4 miles away the golf day was played yesterday in dry weather although we could see the track getting a pasting at lunchtime.

Strange sort of a meeting and pleased the Rebels got the win in the end. I was expecting more of Max Clegg to be fair after his score on Sunday but Nathan accounted for him a couple of times which probably swung things Rebels way more than anything.

Anders Rowe continues to impress me as well. Would love to see him get it out a bit wider at times but you can't argue with how well he rides the inside at the OTA though. He continues to beat riders he probably shouldn't at this stage of his career and from the back too!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, leander said:

L

Rain was indeed predicted up to about 2pm but nothing at all after that. I must admit when I walked in about 6.30 or so I took one look at the track and hoped they were going to water it.  I don't remember any track preparation after that time and, reading my own updates again, I have referred to 'clouds of dust' after heat one.

The thing is that the quality of track preparation is absolutely vital - possibly even decisive - to the future of speedway in this country. Crap tracks are, frankly, unacceptable.

What is even more unacceptable is that paying customers are forced to stand around while remedial work is undertaken because the surface wasn't sufficiently taken care of before the start. You might as well open the gates up and let people out because they won't be coming back again.

To be fair to Somerset, I think its the first time I have personally experienced something like this there and the meeting after the work was completed was very decent. 

• Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
14 hours ago, drew2 said:

The weather is so changeable down here as about 4 miles away the golf day was played yesterday in dry weather although we could see the track getting a pasting at lunchtime.

Strange sort of a meeting and pleased the Rebels got the win in the end. I was expecting more of Max Clegg to be fair after his score on Sunday but Nathan accounted for him a couple of times which probably swung things Rebels way more than anything.

Anders Rowe continues to impress me as well. Would love to see him get it out a bit wider at times but you can't argue with how well he rides the inside at the OTA though. He continues to beat riders he probably shouldn't at this stage of his career and from the back too!

Max could have had machinery problems after his first ride.

15 hours ago, drew2 said:

To be fair if the fixtures had been reversed (i.e. Somerset first) I would be expecting to say the same thing about Anders Rowe. let's be honest in most teams Anders would still be at reserve. So essentially our reserves were better than yours at Newcastle, and the reverse was true at Somerset. That's not including Luke Harris, who unfortunately appears to be a bit out of his depth, and is really only there to make the numbers up (no disrespect intended as his time will come) due to Somerset's top end strength. The main difference was that at Somerset their heat leaders managed to turn it around after an iffy start. At Newcastle ours didn't.

Anders is certainly one to watch though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Rain was indeed predicted up to about 2pm but nothing at all after that. I must admit when I walked in about 6.30 or so I took one look at the track and hoped they were going to water it.  I don't remember any track preparation after that time and, reading my own updates again, I have referred to 'clouds of dust' after heat one.

The thing is that the quality of track preparation is absolutely vital - possibly even decisive - to the future of speedway in this country. Crap tracks are, frankly, unacceptable.

What is even more unacceptable is that paying customers are forced to stand around while remedial work is undertaken because the surface wasn't sufficiently taken care of before the start. You might as well open the gates up and let people out because they won't be coming back again.

To be fair to Somerset, I think its the first time I have personally experienced something like this there and the meeting after the work was completed was very decent. 

Well said that man.