British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Speedway Promotion or Lack of it.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I attended my first meeting as a wee lad at Wimbledon in September 1968, and I'm still going strong. I've lost about 20 local tracks in that time, and with the loss of Lakeside and Rye Last year, I'm hanging on by my fingertips. I still go to most of the meetings at Eastbourne and Kent, plus a few on the Island. Add the occasional trip and that's about it. The clock is ticking for me, a couple more closures and the game will be up.

It's not that WE lose interest, but the more the tracks - easily accessible tracks - are being taken away from us, the more we are effectively being pushed away from the sport.  Certainly when it comes to physically attending...

Steve

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

It's not that WE lose interest, but the more the tracks - easily accessible tracks - are being taken away from us, the more we are effectively being pushed away from the sport.  Certainly when it comes to physically attending...

Steve

Not convinced  City attended speedway way before the decline  and i believe he will continue to do so  .You on the other hand when did you last attend a meeting in the U.K. ?

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Not convinced  City attended speedway way before the decline  and i believe he will continue to do so  .You on the other hand when did you last attend a meeting in the U.K. ?

So, the fact that I live 4000 miles away is being held against me?  When was the last time you attended a speedway meeting in the US?  Works both ways!

On nearly every trip back to the UK during speedway season, I would go several times.  And not just to local tracks either, so yes, I was supporting British speedway.

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

So, the fact that I live 4000 miles away is being held against me?  When was the last time you attended a speedway meeting in the US?  Works both ways!

On nearly every trip back to the UK during speedway season, I would go several times.  And not just to local tracks either, so yes, I was supporting British speedway.

Well done let's give you a bag of smarties, no you are totally right you have watched a different sort of speedway and yes you are more than qualified to comment as much maybe even more so  than me.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Well done let's give you a bag of smarties, no you are totally right you have watched a different sort of speedway and yes you are more than qualified to comment as much maybe even more so  than me.

You feeling okay mate?  I think you need more than a bleedin' chill pill...  You really abhor the fact that others challenge your unsubstantiated opinions, don't you?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

You feeling okay mate?  I think you need more than a bleedin' chill pill...  You really abhor the fact that others challenge your unsubstantiated opinions, don't you?

Your opinion i respect  but your opinion of Lee is not an impartial one you word it like Lee was an also  ran i think not.A peak Lee at the top of his game beats Woffinden all day long my opinion and i am entitled to it is that ok with you Chunky ????

Lee at the top of his game might well have been better than Tai. Hard to say 100%. But Tai has a far better record and will be remembered as the better rider because he was at the top longer....... he hasn't finished yet most probably

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your opinion i respect  but your opinion of Lee is not an impartial one you word it like Lee was an also  ran i think not.A peak Lee at the top of his game beats Woffinden all day long my opinion and i am entitled to it is that ok with you Chunky ????

You wonder why I get p*ssed off? STOP CLAIMING I HAVE SAID THING S OR FEEL A CERTAIN WAY WHEN I NEVER!!!

Where have I ever intimated that I considered Lee an also-ran?  NOWHERE!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Lee at the top of his game might well have been better than Tai. Hard to say 100%. But Tai has a far better record and will be remembered as the better rider because he was at the top longer....... he hasn't finished yet most probably

The keys to it - like I said - are "might well have been", and the actual longevity.

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

The keys to it - like I said - are "might well have been", and the actual longevity.

Subtle use of the English language seems to baffle some on here

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Subtle use of the English language seems to baffle some on here

Didn't baffle me...stick with Allemand! 

2 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Didn't baffle me...stick with Allemand! 

Then you can make a contribution to the discussion maybe ? I said quite clearly 'some'.....wonder why your ears were burning !!!:rofl:

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I attended my first meeting as a wee lad at Wimbledon in September 1968, and I'm still going strong. I've lost about 20 local tracks in that time, and with the loss of Lakeside and Rye Last year, I'm hanging on by my fingertips. I still go to most of the meetings at Eastbourne and Kent, plus a few on the Island. Add the occasional trip and that's about it. The clock is ticking for me, a couple more closures and the game will be up.

Makes me realise how lucky I am even to have the old enemy a coup!e of miles up the road and a few other tracks not too far away

9 minutes ago, bruno said:

Makes me realise how lucky I am even to have the old enemy a coup!e of miles up the road and a few other tracks not too far away

The days of local derbies between Oxford, Reading and Swindon...and then Coventry for good measure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

The days of local derbies between Oxford, Reading and Swindon...and then Coventry for good measure!

Sad, isn't it? Made for some good Bank Holiday action!

Steve

• Like 1