British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Speedway Promotion or Lack of it.

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

That is slightly unfair, particularly in regard to a team like Wigan.  Speedway never caught on there, and there we only a few odd season, so it is not surprising that it remains largely unknown in the area.  Having said that, you are correct in saying that enough is not being done by MOST clubs.  Sad thing is, that was always the case...

Suppose so a bit. But there should be more interest in Greater Manchester. Belle Vue are one of the best teams in the World with the best track. Then there have been other teams. Again i have limited research but how where Rochdale ?. In my life i have lived in Bolton and Wigan. I hear nothing about the Sport. MENs coverage is rubbish. Radio no longer report on it. Star is in supermarkets that is it.

5 minutes ago, craigACE said:

Yeah. I have seen the complete results. What was the reason for them closing down ?. That is what i have never found out.

A number of reasons given in Homes of British speedway

At Poolstock there was a dispute between the speedway and greyhound people. The team transferred to Fleetwood for the 1948 season and the control board refused a license to run open meetings. I’d guess when they ran a few meetings in 1960 crowds weren’t that good

At the other track the control board suspended the license in August 1952 and the next season some amateur meetings were held in front of poor crowds and then the promoters I’ll health put a stop to it all. Then discussions by others for 1954 broke down due to monies owed from 1952

• Like 1

6 hours ago, craigACE said:

Suppose so a bit. But there should be more interest in Greater Manchester. Belle Vue are one of the best teams in the World with the best track. Then there have been other teams. Again i have limited research but how where Rochdale ?. In my life i have lived in Bolton and Wigan. I hear nothing about the Sport. MENs coverage is rubbish. Radio no longer report on it. Star is in supermarkets that is it.

We know that the media has never been reliable or consistent, and they just choose what they want to - or don't want to - cover, without there being any valid reasons.  We have to ask ourselves this :

Is the current state of British Speedway responsible for the lack of press and media coverage?

Is the lack of press and media coverage responsible for the current state of British Speedway?

Are the two inexorably connected, or is it just coincidence?

Even leaving aside our old friend Dave Lanning's contributions, we had the Sunday Mirror World Championship, results posted in the Daily Mirror, the Daily Express Spring Classic, the LBC Dons, results announced on Radio Luxembourg, team lineups posted in the London Evening News, the Yorkshire TV Trophy, and plenty more.  So, why???

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 6:42 AM, mikebv said:

I actually think plenty of people have heard of the sport as when you mention it, often you get told "is Speedway still going?" Or, "I used to go and watch Speedway years ago"..

Their recollections of the sport though would be of a fairly cheap night out, stood in a decent sized crowd , with plenty of partizan based noise and atmosphere...

A world away from what they would encounter today should they ever revisit...

Many tracks do try locally to advertise, however, for example, standing in supermarket foyers giving leaflets out isn't going to deliver the kind of impact to make any real tangible difference..

It needs a more joined up national campaign I would suggest, using modern media techniques, where the sport generically is sold with the clubs being covered within that campaign. 

Get that 'brand recognition' out there for the sport as a whole, and then the work done locally can be backed on to it..

Millions of pounds leave the sport every season nationally in riders salaries, with a total figure that would be truly eye watering given the crowd levels and standing of the sport I would think..

Riders that, the vast majority of whom, will not bring in one extra punter to any track, anywhere, as their names mean nothing outside the sport, yet hardly anything gets spent in advertising the sport nationally as the collectively, exciting, high octane, adrenaline pumping sport it can be..

Maybe all deciding to channel more of what they already spend each season into advertising their sport would deliver better results than just paying it all out to riders?

Bringing in just 20000 extra punters across the country per week (in essence a drop in the ocean), would make a massive difference to the sport and everyone then would benefit long term..

Individual tracks, all doing their own thing on a 'small time' basis,  will not deliver that increase in numbers across the country..

Maybe a joined up, national, modern media led campaign, would?

Sadly speedway sold it's media rights to Dick Turpin , the reinvestment rate of Turpin via advertising is zero , but the legal threats to anyone wanting to promote the sport using media are top priority . shame that all the sky dosh found its way into Dicks pockets ,  there,  was an opportuinity to reinvest in some advertising to attract people who don't already follow speedway rather  than constantly preaching to the converted

• Like 6

On 8/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, chunky said:

Nobody is saying that there aren't crap tracks and crap meetings.  Thing is, there ALWAYS were; it's nothing new!

The problem is that so many people live in the past, and even though they THINK things were better in the "good ol' days", it wasn't always what we think it to be.  The overall package was far better in the old days (certainly as far as British speedway is concerned), but that wasn't a result of the actual racing.  I have a lot of old meetings and other footage, and although I still love watching it, I look at it, and realise (generally) that the racing was often very poor.

Yes, the sport is very different from the sport I was raised on, but again, while it certainly doesn't feel the same, it doesn't mean that the racing is worse.

Steve

What you say on the whole is correct but not where King's Lynn is concerned. 

King's Lynn used to produce excellent racing whereas now, you'd be luck to get one heat of wheel to wheel action. 

It's no coincidence that Peterborough fans have seen a deterioration in the racing at the showground. 

The tracks are there, it's the delusional owner that's the problem

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

King's Lynn used to produce excellent racing whereas now, you'd be luck to get one heat of wheel to wheel action. 

It's no coincidence that Peterborough fans have seen a deterioration in the racing at the showground. 

Although in Peterboroughs case, without  the "delusional" owner there would be no speedway at all.

16 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Although in Peterboroughs case, without  the "delusional" owner there would be no speedway at all.

That's been proven to not be the case at all. 

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Tell me about it. I sampled the delights of the Norfolk Arena last thursday.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Buster is not just delusional, he is immobile in his thinking other than that he is always right. 

At Heathrow today and Thought i’d see if I could get a SS at W.H Smith’s at one of the major hubs in the country. No luck, I ended up buying Football 2020, a season preview instead

Edited by iris123

23 hours ago, iris123 said:

At Heathrow today and Thought i’d see if I could get a SS at W.H Smith’s at one of the major hubs in the country. No luck, I ended up buying Football 2020, a season preview instead

WH Smiths no longer sell it..

I believe down to the margin they wanted the SS to let them have it for would have been unprofitable for the SS to sell it from their outlets..

The main supermarkets sell it in many locations around the country..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

WH Smiths no longer sell it..

I believe down to the margin they wanted the SS to let them have it for would have been unprofitable for the SS to sell it from their outlets..

The main supermarkets sell it in many locations around the country..

Thanks. Must have missed that news. Typical, had a bit of time on my hands and thought the Star would be a good way to pass the time

But with around 200,000+ people passing through every day it is an opportunity missed

Edited by iris123

On 8/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, waytogo28 said:

Buster is not just delusional, he is immobile in his thinking other than that he is always right. 

There is an old saying that could apply to Buster: "...he has many faults but being wrong is not one of them...!"

16 hours ago, iris123 said:

Thanks. Must have missed that news. Typical, had a bit of time on my hands and thought the Star would be a good way to pass the time

But with around 200,000+ people passing through every day it is an opportunity missed

You reckon? - you obviously have no idea of how many of those 200,000 are interested in speedway - or even know about it.